Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Matsui to Home Run Derby?

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Matsui to Home Run Derby?
Does any one think Matsui will be in the 2005 MLB home run derby? They are doing it this year by nationality, so I'm wondering if he will be in it for Japan.
Comments
Re: Matsui to Home Run Derby?
[ Author: himself | Posted: Jul 3, 2005 9:59 PM | FSH Fan ]

It is due to be announced next week. [Link - MLB.com]
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Jul 4, 2005 2:05 AM | HT Fan ]

That's incredible: they produce top-level baseball players in South Africa? Wow, I thought those Proteas were devoted to cricket in the summer.

I know there have been a few Australians in the NPB (current Hanshin Tiger Jeff Williams to name just one), but have there been any other suketto from supposedly cricket-playing nations? BTW, the test-level nations approved by the International Cricket Council are Australia, England, South Africa, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, the West Indies, New Zealand, and Zimbabwe. Have I forgotten any?
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Jul 4, 2005 3:38 PM | SL Fan ]

Well, the last Cricket World Cup in 2003 involved Canada. So I think it's rather alright to have development of baseball in cricket nations, and cricket in baseball nations. Both sports have rather limited audiences on the world stage anyways, so it's probably not a bad idea to increase interest.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jul 5, 2005 7:36 AM ]

What does all this cricket talk have to do with Hideki Matsui?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 5, 2005 8:55 AM ]

- What does all this cricket talk have to do with Hideki Matsui?

It has nothing to do with Hideki Matsui, it has to do with South Africa, which is mostly a cricket country, not a baseball country.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 5, 2005 3:27 AM ]

- I know there have been a few Australians in the NPB (current Hanshin Tiger Jeff Williams to name just one), but have there been any other suketto from supposedly cricket-playing nations? BTW, the test-level nations approved by the International Cricket Council are Australia, England, South Africa, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, the West Indies, New Zealand, and Zimbabwe. Have I forgotten any?

I don't think there have been any major league players ever to be produced from South Africa. There is only one player from the continent of Africa I can remember, former Orioles prospect Ntema Ndungiui (Zaire). Ndungiui never made it to the majors.

Overall in MLB history there have been a handful of Major Leaguers from England, Australia, Ireland, and Scotland. Also, a few players have come from non-baseball countries such as Holland and Germany.

The last player from England in the Majors was Lance Painter, currently Glenn Williams with the Twins is the current Australian in the majors, and currently there are no Irish, Scottish, Dutch, or German players in the Majors to my knowledge.

Resource: Baseball-Reference Biographies
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 5, 2005 8:54 AM ]

Now that I come to think of it, Dave Nilsson was on the Chunichi Dragons. Nilsson was from Australia.

[By Editor: See also Players by Nationality.]
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jul 5, 2005 12:03 PM ]

Matsui has to get there first by beating out Hunter and Jeter in the Internet vote. Otherwise it will be Ichiro representing Japan in the contest.
[ Author: Guest: KYama26 | Posted: Jul 5, 2005 2:32 PM ]

At least Matsui most likely has the whole country of Japan (except the Hanshin fans) voting for him.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Jul 5, 2005 9:29 PM | HT Fan ]

- At least Matsui most likely has the whole country of Japan (except the Hanshin fans) voting for him.

What makes you so sure Hanshin fans wouldn't vote for Matsui? He's actually well respected by many Tiger fans. The guy used to be one himself in his younger days, and I believe he only became a Giant because he was drafted by the club. When the Tigers won the CL pennant in 2003 Matsui reportedly said some positive things about the team.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jul 6, 2005 1:53 AM ]

I used to live in Amagasaki so I was a fan of the Tigers, but now I live in New York. I walk around with a Hanshin Tiger cap on. But my MLB team is the Yankees.

I voted for Matsui this morning.
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Jul 5, 2005 3:27 PM | SL Fan ]

Not sure if the player has to be on the All Star roster to be included in the Home Run Derby. Either way, I'd be more interested in seeing Ichiro in the derby. He's supposed to be able to turn himself into a home run machine during batting practice.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jul 5, 2005 5:11 PM ]

I like Ichiro more then Matsui, but for some reason I'd rather see Matsui becuase he has a better chance to win.
[ Author: himself | Posted: Jul 5, 2005 10:24 PM | FSH Fan ]

I've heard about Ichiro's exploits during batting practice, where almost everything he hits is a home run. I doubt that would get him a spot in the derby, but the Godzilla may have a little competition for the spot.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jul 7, 2005 5:36 PM ]

Rangers' manager Buck Showalter said if Ichiro entered the home run derby he would win it.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 5, 2005 5:04 PM ]

- Matsui has to get there first by beating out Hunter and Jeter in the Internet vote.

Matsui clearly deserves to be in the All Star Game over any of the AL players on the Final Vote selection, even I voted for Matsui, as a Yankee some 30+ times, and I plan on voting more as there's no restrictions on voting. Matsui is the only Yankee I ever had admired, looked up to, and would ever vote for. Matsui's 2005 peformance is clearly All Star caliber and to get snubbed would be a disgrace. Matsui is batting .312 with 12 HR and 62 RBI. [Stats - MLB.com]

I wish sorry Orioles owner Peter Angelos would have signed him. I could of just imagined what Matsui could have done at Camden Yards, and the player he would have been with the Orioles, he would have gaven us a player with the same mentality as Cal Ripken and current player Miguel Tejada.
[ Author: TimC51 | Posted: Jul 6, 2005 6:45 AM ]

Matsui does not necessarily have to win this vote and get into the All-Star lineup to be in the Home-run Derby. They are considered two different things. Nonetheless, it would also be interesting to see what Ichiro could do since he is supposedly good at hitting homers in batting practice. Either way, it will be interesting to watch for me.

BTW, according to MLB.com Jeter leads the final vote and Matsui is 4th. It also says that this vote is how he got in last year, but with Jeter in the mix, that splits the Yankee vote, so that's probably why he's getting less support this year.

Matsui had another good game today with arch 13-go, 3 hits, 6 TB, 2 runs, 3 RBIs, and a walk. He's now hitting .317/.385/.522 which is as good as last year (slightly less homers, but more doubles). He has probably suffered in the All-Star vote because much of his production has come very recently, although the voting had been going on for some time already.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 6, 2005 5:30 PM ]

- BTW, according to MLB.com Jeter leads the final vote and Matsui is 4th. It also says that this vote is how he got in last year, but with Jeter in the mix, that splits the Yankee vote, so that's probably why he's getting less support this year.

No, what it tells us is people are over-glorfied with Derek Jeter. I mean, we need not look at ESPN to not see the point. When ESPN had their All Star Selection Show, all they babbled on about was how Jeter was snubbed, even though Tejada and Young deserved way over him.

Also, Matsui has been hitting this way well into last month, and has out hit Jeter, who is over hyped in the media by far. The media in the United States has an obsession with Jeter now and since he made his debut in 1995, FOX, ESPN, YES, MLB, the news media, etc. They have all over hyped him and overated him. If Jeter finds his way onto the AL All Star Team it will be outrageous.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jul 6, 2005 11:47 PM ]

I agree, if Jeter is selected to the All Star game over Matsui, it would be pathetic. Matsui deserves it.
[ Author: firefly777 | Posted: Jul 7, 2005 3:46 AM ]

- If Jeter finds his way onto the AL All Star Team it will be outrageous.

While I agree with you that Matsui deserves a spot on the All-Star team with the way he has been hitting lately, I think you are going a little overboard by saying that Jeter making the team would be "outrageous." He's 10th in the league in BA, 7th in OBP, and 1st in runs scored. According to BaseballProspectus.com's statistical measurements, he is the second most valuable shortstop in the MLB behind Miguel Tejada and almost even with Young. How, with those kind of numbers, could his inclusion on the all-star team be considered "outrageous"?

He may be one of the most over-hyped players in baseball history, but that shouldn't be held against him when the fact is he's having a really good year.
[ Author: Guest: ERBASEBALL | Posted: Jul 8, 2005 6:47 AM ]

I heard today that Matsui has declined the invite to the home run derby, does this mean it's Ichiro who will represent Japan? If so, I'm excited to see a singles hitter take the home run derby title, and amaze millions. For I am a Seattle native and have seen many batting practices in which Ichiro has gone into the upper deck 10-15 times in a row. I beleive that if he represents Japan, he won't dissapoint.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 8, 2005 8:33 AM ]

Ichiro said he wants to learn more about the event before deciding whether to participate. He also hasn't recieved an invitation. [Full Story - MLB.com]
[ Author: himself | Posted: Jul 9, 2005 12:58 PM | FSH Fan ]

It will be neither Matsui or Ichiro representing Japan. As it turns out, Japan will not have a contestant at all; Hee Seop Choi of the Dodgers will now be representing South Korea in the Home Run Derby.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 9, 2005 4:19 PM ]

The new Home Run Derby this year is a joke, as is the WBC. I must say I'm disgusted Matsui or Japan isn't represented and that Tejada isn't there. Choi is batting like .210 something like interesting.
[ Author: Mischa | Posted: Jul 10, 2005 11:03 AM | TYS Fan ]

> I must say I'm disgusted Matsui or Japan isn't
> represented and that Tejada isn't there. Choi is
> batting like .210 something like interesting.

Choi is hitting .237, but it's a home run derby, not a singles derby. Choi has homered 13 times in 215 AB. Matsui had 14 HR in over 300 AB. So it's pretty clear that Choi is hitting home runs at a far better rate than Matsui, even if you don't consider that Choi is playing in a pitchers' park. What's so bad about a guy with a homer every 16.5 AB being in a home run derby?

[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jul 10, 2005 11:24 AM ]

i know this person ISNT saying choi is better then matsui.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 10, 2005 1:08 PM ]

"Choi is hitting .237, but it's a home run derby, not a singles derby."

Please you have to be joking me, Matsui a single's hitter(sacrasm). You also have to be joking me that Choi is a more powerful hitter than Matsui.

Also, Choi has batted in 215 AB's this year, so go figure his 16.5 HR/AB ratio, Matsui has always been a better power hitter in the past in Japan and in the Majors.

Not, representing Japan is a joke is in the Home Run Derby, as is the World Baseball Classic MLB is promoting. Japan is clearly one of the world's best baseball's league's.
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Jul 10, 2005 1:41 PM | HT Fan ]

Please you have to be joking me, Matsui a single's hitter(sacrasm). You also have to be joking me that Choi is a more powerful hitter than Matsui.

Matsui is a much more productive hitter than Choi at present, but I think you can make a case for Choi having more raw power by comparing their isolated power (IsoP), a measure of raw power that's calculated by taken a player's slugging percentage and subtraction their batting average from it. In effect, you're taking singles out of the equation and only looking at their extra base hits.

Matsui has a .210 IsoP this year and a .190 IsoP over his MLB career to date. Choi's IsoP is .223 this year and .202 over his career.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 10, 2005 2:07 PM ]

"but I think you can make a case for Choi having more raw power"

Choi might have more raw power, I agree, though Matsui I think has more true power. Though, over Choi's career he really hasn't played a full year, maybe this is the year he will, all 3 of Matsui's years have been 3 years of consecutive non-stop play.

Choi has batted 810 times in his big league career, Matsui has batted 1,531 times. Also, Matsui's OBP is .380, SLG .525, Avg ,315, and OPS is .905.

Choi this year has a .320 OBP, .460 SLG, .237 Avg, and a .780 OPS. With Choi it's either a HR or miss. 7 2B's and 1 3B this year.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/individual_stats_player.jsp?c_id=mlb&playerID=425686§ion1=1§ion2=1&statSet2=1§ion3=1&statSet3=1&statSet1=1
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/player_locator_results.jsp?playerLocator=Choi
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 10, 2005 2:08 PM ]

The above numbers are for this year.
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Jul 10, 2005 2:34 PM | HT Fan ]

Choi might have more raw power, I agree, though Matsui I think has more true power.

I'm not sure what "ture power" means but, judging from the rest of the info you provided, I think you're saying Matsui is more productive at the plate. I agree, and said so in my reply above. But we're talking about the home run derby, and I think Choi's batting average has very little to do with how hard and far he'll hit 60 mph batting practive pitches.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 10, 2005 6:23 PM ]

"and I think Choi's batting average has very little to do with how hard and far he'll hit 60 mph batting practive pitches."

Mostly likely not though. I'm just saying Choi's overall career has been a little inflated by little playing time up to this year.

Also, it's just that I'm disgusted at the new HR format, it sad, I wanted to see Matsui in it to represent Japan(even though I hate the Yankees, I admire Matsui, I wish the Orioles would have signed him), it was us and New York. I wish Tejada wouldn't have gave away to Ortiz, or they allow two to play from the Dominican Republic. It's also I just still mad at the failure that MLB is trying to push with the World Baseball Classic.
[ Author: TimC51 | Posted: Jul 12, 2005 9:38 AM ]

I belive that both Matsui and Ichiro were given an opportunity to participate, and both turned it down. I don't see any reason to be "disgusted." Each had reasons, although as a fan I too am disappointed that they will not participate. In Matsui's case since he was not selected to the AS team, he would have to make an extra trip just for the purpose. Better perhaps that he use the 3 days to rest and recuperate. In Ichiro's case, I heard he said something like "if there was a bunting contest I would do it." Was he afraid of possibly losing face by having a poor performance? Or conversely, if he did well, would fans then criticize him for not hitting more during games? Sometimes I think he worries a little too much about his own image.
[ Author: Yakulto | Posted: Jul 12, 2005 10:19 AM | TYS Fan ]

> I belive that both Matsui and Ichiro were given an
> opportunity to participate, and both turned it down.

I seem to remember Matsui taking on Barry Bonds in a hastily arrange Home Run contest during the MLB/NPB All Star series in 2002. This was just after he hit 50 HRs for the Giants. He did pretty poorly if I remember correctly, almost embarrasingly so.

This may explain why he rejected the opportunity this year. Didn't want the possibilty of his reputation as "Godzilla" to take a beating infront of the collective eyes of U.S. baseball fans.

And I also don't see any reason to be disgusted.
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Jul 12, 2005 12:13 PM ]

Matsui had 5 Hr's and barry had 8 in the HR contest ,whats so ebarrasingly about that? im really sick of Hideki Matsui haters.
[ Author: Yakulto | Posted: Jul 12, 2005 12:52 PM | TYS Fan ]

> Matsui had 5 Hr's and barry had 8 in the HR contest
> ,whats so ebarrasingly about that? im really sick of
> Hideki Matsui haters.

Easy there tiger! I'm no Matsui hater. Though I'm no fan I do have the utmost respect for his achievements. Just calling it as I saw it. The scores don't always tell the whole story.

I remember watching it on TV and it was being built up quite alot beforehand, Japan's HR king Vs the mighty Barry Bonds and all that. It was all a little contrived. Matsui looked totally uncomfortable and his swing was all over the place at first and I remember feeling pretty bad for him. I seem to remember Bonds helping break the tension by jokingly running up to him and giving him a shoulder massage. Hideki did pick up a little after that.

And I'm pretty sure Barry wasn't really going all out for it either. He has always said he loves the Japanese tours seems to have genuine affection for the Japanese game and it's fans and so I'm sure didn't want to make an awkward situation even more awkward by Humiliating the Giants golden boy in front of his own fans. (Remember these were Matsui's last Tokyo Dome appearances as a Giant).

[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 12, 2005 5:29 PM ]

A better explanation might be that a representative of NPB wasn't at the press confrerence because the JBPBA had to vote on whether to participate in the WBC.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/wbc/article.jsp?content=071105_a
[ Author: Guest: Melissa | Posted: Jul 13, 2005 5:06 AM ]

What a farce...the home run derby. The "theme-oriented", politically correct representation of nations and not the most prolific home run hitters sickens me. Bud Selig must be the "Michael Eisner" of Baseball!
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Jul 13, 2005 5:41 AM | CLM Fan ]

I remembered back when 4 homers would take you into the semifinals. I think there were more homers in this derby than ever before, and yet people still complain.

What people should be complaining about is how ESPN totally disrespect Choi by talking to Reggie Jackson the whole time. I was going insane listening to Joe "AA" Morgan and Reggie kissing each others' butts.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 13, 2005 8:13 AM ]

"I remembered back when 4 homers would take you into the semifinals. I think there were more homers in this derby than ever before, and yet people still complain."

Exactly, I thought last year's record would be unbreakable by Tejada, single round(17) and total(26), until Abreu came and totaled that record. Single record(24) and Total(41). I was doubtful, but decided to watch, I'm glad I did. Though, I still wish Hideki Matsui was in it.

"What people should be complaining about is how ESPN totally disrespect Choi by talking to Reggie Jackson the whole time."

That's what you get when you get by getting Morgan and Berman to do the Home Run Derby they babble on and on. You get a box with Jason Varitek, the whole time you're trying to watch David Ortiz hit. I been listening them since 1997, it's been annoying. Also, it's annoying listening to Morgan's so-called analysis, so that why I try to avoid it when most possible.

[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Jul 13, 2005 9:49 AM | SL Fan ]

Looked like a fun contest.

Just be glad(?) that MLB hasn't adopted the North America vs World format that the NHL all star game used up to a few years ago (and this was in an effort to promote the NHL-NHLPA run World Cup as well).

Stuck at work, can't watch the all star game..
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 13, 2005 3:49 PM ]

The AL won the All Star Game for the 8th year in a row, 7-5. Orioles shortstop Miguel Tejada won the MVP with a HR and 2 RBI. Rangers 1B Mark Teixeira hit a 2 run HR. Mariners OF Ichiro Suzuki hit a 2-run single. Red Sox DH David Ortiz also had a RBI single.

Braves OF Andruw Jones hit a 2-run HR, Miguel Cabrera hit a RBI fielder choice, Luis Gonzalez hit a RBI double, and a Carlos Lee hit a RBI fielder choice.

White Sox's pitcher Mark Bueherle got the win, Braves' pitcher John Smoltz got the loss, and Yankees' pitcher Mariano Rivera got the save. The AL has now won the All Star Game since 1997.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20050712&content_id=1128477&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/boxscore.jsp?gid=2005_07_12_nasmlb_aasmlb_1&c_id=mlb
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.