Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Matsui's Consecutive Game Streak

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Matsui's Consecutive Game Streak
Apparently it was big news among the Japanese media yesterday when Matsui was not in the starting line-up. But whether Torre wanted the streak to continue or not and disappoint the Japanese fans and media, he put Matsui in as a pinch runner (unusual for Torre). Matsui responded with double and RBI in his only at-bat.

Streak stands at 1250 plus 18 in MLB?
Comments
Re: Matsui's Consecutive Game Streak
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Apr 22, 2003 11:36 AM ]

I was at this game, and man, was I ticked. Of course Torre would pick the one game I could go to to start Bubba Trammell in place of Matsui! It was nice that he came in later, hit an RBI double, and made a nice catch on line drive.

I sat in the Metrodome's left field general admission "bleachers," and got my first really close up live view of Matsui's defense. I'd seen him at a Nichi-Bei yakyuu game, and in Game 2 of the 2000 Nihon Series, but I was always fairly far away. It was interesting to note that he plays kind of like an infielder. He sets himself as the pitcher goes into his wind-up, and then makes the slightest of jumps as the ball reaches the plate. He was not exactly breaking in any direction; I think he was basically getting himself on the balls of his feet and getting his body in motion if the ball is hit to him. Oddly enough Bernie Williams didn't do anything like that.
[ Author: Guest: Suraj | Posted: Apr 22, 2003 5:10 PM ]

Check out Peter Gammons' latest article on ESPN.com [Link - warning: annoying pop-up ads on non-Open Source browsers].

According to his sources, Hideki Matsui is ranked the top leftfielder in the AL.

Um... isn't it a little early to make such claims?
[ Author: sonoda7 | Posted: Apr 22, 2003 9:13 PM ]

Thanks for the great input. The baseball media had been saying that Matsui gets great jumps on balls without pointing out any reasons. And it is a well known fact that Bernie Williams makes up for his average jumps whether it is in the outfield or off first base with his speed.

By the way, did you notice any large contingents of Japanese fans at the game? Do you think they were tourists or people living in that area?
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Apr 23, 2003 8:02 AM ]

- By the way, did you notice any large contingents of Japanese fans at the game? Do you think they were tourists or people living in that area?

It was a game on Easter Sunday, so the crowd as a whole was fairly small. There were a fair number of Japanese there, most of whom I would hazard live in the area. A few families and a lot of college age kids. The Twin Cities has a relatively good-sized population of Japanese students at the various colleges and the University of Minnesota.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.