Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Bobby Valentine on What's Wrong with US Sport

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Bobby Valentine on What's Wrong with US Sport
There's an interesting article over at ajc.com/news about Bobby Valentine and what he sees as the main problem with American sports - basically too much money and not enough attention to the basics.

An excerpt:
After Team USA was eliminated in the World Baseball Classic, Americans "totally made excuses," he said. "It was like the Major League players were the only ones who had to go to spring training" even though tournament-winner Japan also had training and many of the nation's top players - including New York Yankee's outfielder Hideki Matsui and "eight of Japan's best pitchers" - didn't play.
Comments
Re: Bobby Valentine on What's Wrong with US Sport
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Oct 9, 2006 11:54 AM ]

Good for Bobby. More broad stroke pontifications for the local market. The success of the Tigers and Mets suggests his observations on attention to the basics are correct in part - play a fundamentally good game and you'll have success, as those teams have demonstrated. Of course, they also disprove his blanket analysis.

Again, it's all about Bobby. Anything to get in the papers. He'll finish his career in Japan. I'm glad that big mouth self-promoter is on your side of the Pacific. No doubt you enjoy his belching.
Re: Bobby Valentine on What's Wrong with US Sport
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Oct 9, 2006 2:21 PM | SFT Fan ]

While some Americans made excuses, the majority of us recognized Japan as a better team, one who played better and just performed better. The large majority of us didn't make any excuses and praised Japan after their win in the WBC.

Though getting to teamwork and fundamentals, I have to disagree, Detroit in the ALDS defiantly played like a team. One of the best team efforts I've seen in my life. Yes, while some teams don't play like a team, albeit the Yankees, their are a lot of teams who do play like a team.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.