Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Matsui Adjusting.

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Matsui Adjusting.
Don't look now, but Hideki Matsui is hitting .305 with 8 HRs and 60 RBIs. Only the injured Nick Johnson has a higher batting average among New York regulars. His home run total is low, but he does have 26 doubles.

I have a question for those of you who have a chance to watch the Yankees regularly: Are Matsui's doubles long fly balls to the wall, or line drives into the corner?

My thinking is if Matsui is hitting long fly balls for doubles, that might lend some credibility to the theory that Matsui has been affected by the larger ballparks in America.
Comments
Re: Matsui Adjusting.
[ Author: seiyu | Posted: Jun 30, 2003 10:53 PM ]

He is hitting lots of line drives. I believe he is still not fully swinging for the fences. However, he is becoming more aggressive at the plate and as a result getting more homers. He is emerging strongly and showing everyone that his approach to adjusting to the league was the correct one. Check out this article in the New York Post.
Re: Matsui Adjusting
[ Author: Guest: George Steinbrenner | Posted: Jul 8, 2003 8:02 AM ]

Matsui is doing fine. He has had to adjust to AL pitching, specifically the slider, which he didn't see much in Japan. He has a short stroke and should be good for 25 HR and 100+RBIs, which was expected. Kudos to Matsui-san. He has what it takes to succeed in MLB and he is a winner.
[ Author: Guest: Oh | Posted: Jul 14, 2003 2:18 PM ]

Well, Matsui is now considered to be successful in the Majors, he is as good as Garcipara of Boston. He is doing a good job!!!
[ Author: seiyu | Posted: Jul 19, 2003 12:22 AM ]

It's not the slider, its the two seamer and the cut fastball. Sliders are very common in Japan.
Re: Matsui Adjusting.
[ Author: Guest: Jason | Posted: Jul 18, 2003 6:28 PM ]

He may not be hitting that many long balls, but he's still getting the job done. His RBI production matches up quite favorably against players with twice as many homers. BTW, his 67 RBIs currently places him 7th in the American League.
[ Author: Guest: Tom | Posted: Jul 21, 2003 2:18 AM ]

I watch every Yankee game. I had never seen Matsui play previous to this season. Here's my scouting report.

Matsui is an incredibly sound fundamental ballplayer. Great instincts. As a fielder, he strikes me as extremely intelligent, with excellent instincts. His arm is weak. At bat, he has a very good eye at the plate and hits the pitch where it's thrown. His doubles have been mostly of the line drive in the corner variety. He hasn't had a multitude of long fly outs this season, though he has had some.

Watching him hit, I feel that his power will come later as he adjusts to the new league. Instead of trying to hit HR's, he seems to be taking the smarter approach, going with pitches, hitting liners, stroking singles.

I can tell you this, Yankees fans love him.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.