Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

How good can Yabu be?

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
How good can Yabu be?
I'm trying to get an idea about what to expect from Yabu this year in Oakland. I have the impression that he is a similar pitcher to Satoru Komiyama, and I know that Komiyama wasn't very effective in MLB. Can you expect him to be better than Komiyama? Maybe more similar to Hasegawa? What are your thoughts?
Comments
Re: How good can Yabu be?
[ Author: FrankIsTheMan | Posted: Feb 3, 2005 3:23 PM ]

Since he's pitching in the AL, I guess he'll survive as long he keep his ERA around 4.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Feb 4, 2005 5:27 AM ]

Here's what I came up with for his major league equivalents for the past five years and my comment about him: [Link - Baseball Guru].

Jim Albright
[ Author: Guest: Erik Schullstrom | Posted: Feb 4, 2005 2:31 AM ]

Yabu certainly throws harder than Komiyama. Yabu will have better control than most pitchers in MLB, and with his ability to throw his offspeed pitches for strikes, he can be a viable 4th starter for the A's if he stays healthy.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Feb 4, 2005 3:09 AM ]

Maybe slightly better than Komiyama, but not much.
[ Author: FrankIsTheMan | Posted: Feb 4, 2005 3:19 PM ]

So is he the Japanese version of who? Compare to Komiyama (Greg Maddux).

/sarcasm
[ Author: Guest: Erik Schullstrom | Posted: Feb 5, 2005 10:50 AM ]

Personally, I'm not sure about a Komiyama-Maddux comparison, but off hand, I would say Yabu might compare to Ismael Valdez or Steve Trachsel if he pitched well.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Feb 6, 2005 4:56 AM ]

Per Oakland's MLB website, Billy Beane is committed to starting the season with Zito and Harden at the top of the rotation with Meyer, Haren, and Blanton in the final three spots. He's comparing Meyer, Haren, and Blanton to Hudson, Mulder, and Zito when those three finally were together in the rotation for the first time. My opinion is that Yabu will be a long releiver/spot starter and insurance against one of the young three not being able to keep up.

-Greg Slaten-
[ Author: Guest: Brian | Posted: Feb 10, 2005 3:04 PM ]

Yabu is going to get lit up like a Pachinko sign. You cannot have an ERA that high in Japan and hope to do much in the majors. The Athletics are perhaps hoping that he may suprise a few hitters once through the league. But I would be very suprised if by July his ERA is not enoromous.

But best of luck to him though. I would love to see any ex-Tiger do something in the majors.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jun 26, 2005 2:29 PM ]

As of June 25, Yabu is 4-0 , with an ERA of 4.00 even and 30 K's in 36 innings. Pretty good.
[ Author: ConditionOakland | Posted: Feb 14, 2005 8:37 AM | HT Fan ]

^^ I think you're looking at his estimated ERA if he played in the MLB. His ERA in Japan was pretty good.

I don't know why any of you think Meyer will start this spring - the kid isn't ready yet. Even if he is, the A's would much rather have him get more time in in AAA, allowing his clock not to start until 2006.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.