Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

George Arias, a Naional

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
George Arias, a Naional
Old news, but Arias signed with new Washington Nationals [Washington Post].

I don't know much of the guy, but what do people think he will do in the Majors?

Also, is there other guy like him that made his name in Japan and reverse-imported to the Majors?

It is a famouse story that Alfonzo Soriano didn't do well in Japan. Only other guy I can think is Darrell May (former Tigers/Giants now with KC -> moved to SD Padres).
Comments
Re: George Arias, a Naional
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Feb 6, 2005 4:55 PM | HT Fan ]

Also, is there other guy like him that made his name in Japan and reverse-imported to the Majors?

The most famous reverse import would have to be Cecil Fielder, who made his name playing for the Hanshin Tigers in 1989 and then went on to hit 51 homers for the Detroit Tigers in 1990. OK, strictly speaking, he already had a couple of seasons under his belt playing for the Blue Jays before going to Japan, but he was only earning $125,000 a year and not playing every day.

More at Wikipedia.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Feb 6, 2005 10:52 PM ]

- I don't know much of the guy, but what do people think he will do in the Majors?

Arias will probably vie for a bench spot in spring training.

Also, Eddie Gaillard signed a minor league contract with the Rockies. [Link - RotoWorld]
NPB to MLB
[ Author: Guest: rob dorsey | Posted: Feb 7, 2005 3:49 PM ]

Orestes Destrade was another notable 'Western' player who tried to make the switch from Japan to MLB. He had one pretty good year before "flopping" the next year, and I don't think he was ever heard from again.

Of course, Alfonso Soriano played in Japan for a year or two before coming to the U.S. I think his Japanese club released him from his contract for some reason. I don't remember why, I but I remember reading that he didn't like playing in Japan at all.

Arias actually had 480 MLB ABs for several teams before jumping to Japan. His stats weren't particularly good when he was in MLB before (14 HR, 55 RBI, .238 BA, .640 OPS). It will be interesting to see how he does now after his success in Japan, but I wouldn't expect him to be an impact player. Hopefully, for his sake, he'll do better than Destrade.
Re: NPB to MLB
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Feb 7, 2005 8:52 PM ]

- I don't remember why, I but I remember reading that he didn't like playing in Japan at all.

I always thought that Soriano asked for a raise, and the Carp did not want to give him a raise. And then Soriano signed with the Yankees.
[ Author: daigo51 | Posted: Feb 7, 2005 9:06 PM | CD Fan ]

Thanks everyone for interesting replies.

Personally, it is great that many players are going between MLB and NPB. More opportunity for all.

Well, players associations may not agree(?). At least it's good for us fans.

Looking forward to see how Gabe Kapler (Red Sox -> Giants) and Tony Batista (Expos -> Hawks) will do in 2005. As I do with Iguchi, Yabu, and the like.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Feb 8, 2005 12:16 PM | HAN Fan ]

Bill Gullickson was a 20 game winner after returning to MLB from Japan. Other players who became MLB regulars coming back from Japan include Matt Stairs, Lee Stevens, and Rob Ducey.
[ Author: Guest: Brian | Posted: Feb 9, 2005 12:27 PM ]

Being a big Hanshin Tigers' fan, and having seen my fair share of games the past three seasons since Arias moved over from Orix, I feel he doesn't have the bat speed or the plate smarts to really do much back in the Majors.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Feb 10, 2005 12:47 AM ]

Here's my take on Arias: [Link - Baseball Guru].

I'll do Petagine shortly, since he signed with Boston.

Jim Albright
[ Author: Guest: Brian | Posted: Feb 10, 2005 1:56 PM ]

That is a load of good statistics, but no RBI's? Even at the games in the Japan the scoreboards never show how many RBI's a hitter has when he's at the plate. It's still a very telling stat about a hitter's abiltiy to come through when it matters.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Feb 10, 2005 11:52 PM ]

Brian:

What you are seeing is a projection of what he would have done in the majors. However, RBI are very heavily influenced by who's batting in front of you in the order. If the guys in front of you don't get on much, and/or clear the bases before you get up by driving them home, you're not going to get RBI no matter how capable you are at that skill. I might add, studies have shown that the interaction of the players' established talent level plus his number of opportunities is probably the best way to determine how many RBI someone will have. The problem with projecting this from the NPB numbers is that a guy who bats cleanup in Japan may be a number 6 hitter in the majors - so the RBI numbers just don't translate well.

A real life example is Ichiro had enough power in Japan to be a good #3 hitter, but in the majors, he's a leadoff man with far fewer RBI chances. As a result, I leave them out.

Jim Albright
[ Author: Guest: Brian | Posted: Feb 11, 2005 11:39 PM ]

Thanks for that.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Feb 10, 2005 2:30 PM | YBS Fan ]

For more complete stats, look as his NPB career stats on this site.
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: Feb 11, 2005 3:56 PM | HT Fan ]

At long last, it's nice to find out what has happened to my favorite gaikokujin tora-san. I will be optimistic about George Arias being a fine everyday player in Washington.

But I think it is really a shame that he could not find a spot in NPB. His temperament seemed well-suited to Japanese baseball, and he seemed like a much-beloved "team player" at Koshien. He fielded well, had some important clutch hits, and always handled himself with grace and class. I certainly do not feel the Hanshin Tigers are better off without him.
[ Author: Guest: Tigers Baka | Posted: Feb 15, 2005 12:17 PM ]

Couldn't agree more! I'd prefer to see him still playing at first rather than Sheets.
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Mar 24, 2005 1:16 AM | YAK Fan ]

George Arias is going to start the season in the minors according to Yahoo! Japan Sports. You can see a picture of him in his National's uniform on this page from Yahoo! Japan Sports.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Mar 24, 2005 10:43 AM ]

Arias batted .263 (5-19) with an RBI for the Nationals in spring training. Arias will play for the AAA New Orleans Zephyrs. [Spring Training Stats - MLB.com]
Re: Galliard Re-assigned to Minor League Camp
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Mar 27, 2005 8:43 AM ]

Eddie Galliard was re-assigned to minor league camp by the Rockies. Galliard had knee problems early in camp which limited him. Galliard was 0-0 with a 11.37 ERA in 6 games. Rockies' manager Clint Hurdle said "There's no doubt he's a guy we'll need before the season is over, and he'll be a functional part of our bullpen." [Link News - MLB.com] [Spring Stats - MLB.com]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Apr 4, 2005 10:01 AM ]

It looks like George Arias will not decide to start the season in the minors. [Not on the Zephyrs' roster.]
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.