Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Kaz Ishii to the Mets?

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Kaz Ishii to the Mets?
It looks like Kaz Ishii will be shipped to the Mets for Jason Phillips, a back-up catcher who may start for LA. The Dodgers' manager, Jim Tracy, lost faith in Ishii due to his poor walk-strikeout ratio and general control problems. Ishii will be the Mets' 5th starter this year, or until Steve Traschel returns from disk surgery in 3-6 months.

Did Ishii always have control problems in Japan? Mets coaches seem to think they can help him. In MLB, his first halves have beed solid, then he falls apart in August and September. Does he run out of gas?

Anyway, the two Kaz's will have something to talk about.
Comments
Re: Kaz Ishii to the Mets?
[ Author: Guest: jballfan | Posted: Mar 21, 2005 9:16 AM ]

- Did Ishii always have control problems in Japan? Mets coaches seem to think they can help him. In MLB, his first halves have beed solid, then he falls apart in August and September. Does he run out of gas?

Yes, Ishii always had control problems in Japan. However, he made up for it by being the most dominating pitcher in the Central League. He averaged over 9Ks per 9 innings during his career in Japan. He did, though, also have about one walk for every two strikeouts. [Stats]

When Ishii recorded his 1,000th strikeout, I think he was the second fastest pitcher in Japanese baseball history to record it. This is totally from what I remember the announcers saying like 6 years ago when he made the accomplishment, so I could be wrong. From what I remember, if I remember correctly, the fastest pitcher to do so was Hideo Nomo (who later did the same in the Majors), and Ishii became the second fastest.

Also to emphasize how poor his control always was, I remember a quote that Ishii said jokingly when he threw a no-hitter during his years with the Swallows. He said something along the lines of: "I think it's easier for me to allow no hits in a game than walk nobody in a game." He wasn't bragging about how hitters didn't stand a chance against him, but was just expressing that he knows he has to work on his control.
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: Mar 22, 2005 5:35 AM ]

Well, they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but maybe the Mets' coaches might have an idea or two. Is it normal that pitching coaches in Japan couldn't help straighten him out, with all that talent? He seems to lose his release point in the middle of the game, but he's a fighter and finds a way to win.

Nevertheless, those are impressive stats. In response to a question on what kind of pitch Ishii-san has trouble throwing, the Dodgers pitching coach replied, "Strikes." He did go on to say that he finds a way to win, you have to stick with him, but not without anxiety. Maybe a change of scenery will do him good. There were times last season when he was unbeatable, especially in the first half of the season.
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: Mar 29, 2005 12:46 AM ]

Well, Kazuhisa is learning something new. Check out this article in the New York Daily News.

Coach Peterson worked with Ishii-san to change his delivery and to focus on control, rather than speed. There was 6-10 kph off his fastball, but he pitched 2 splendid innings with no walks.

The only question I have is whether the old wacky delivery threw batters off, or was it something else that made him a success. He wasn't throwing smoke, by design, yesterday, but he was effective, albeit against minor leaguers.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.