Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Who is San Francisco's Ishikawa?

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Who is San Francisco's Ishikawa?
A few days ago, when I read the San Francisco Giants' box score, I saw a guy named Ishikawa who played for the Giants and pinch hit in that game, and he got one run [run scored or RBI?]. Can anyone tell me who this guy is? Why have I never read about this guy before?
Comments
Re: Who is San Francisco's Ishikawa?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Mar 24, 2005 10:23 AM ]

Travis Ishikawa is a first baseman. Ishikawa was born in Federal Way, WA. Ishikawa batted .254 with 16 HR and 64 RBI between A San Jose and A Hagerstown last year. [Link - MinorLeagueBaseball.com]
[ Author: Jen Wei | Posted: Mar 24, 2005 4:14 PM | HNHF Fan ]

His career is not bad, from what I read by John Brooks. Then is he Japanese?
[ Author: SFGiantsFan | Posted: Mar 29, 2005 5:14 AM ]

He's Japanese-American, born and raised in the US.

According to The Baseball Cube, after almost 1,000 ABs in A ball, he seems to be developing a little power, but at the cost of increased strikeouts (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

Middling "prospect" at best. AA this year will be the big test for him.
[ Author: Guest: Count Vertigo | Posted: Mar 29, 2005 5:57 PM ]

I live in Hagerstown and saw Travis here last year. Good attitude guy and will hit for more power in AA. The park here is a detriment to power hitters.

Travis is rated by Baseball America as the 10th best prospect in the Giant organization.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Apr 4, 2005 10:04 AM ]

Travis Ishikawa will open the season up in A San Jose. [Link - San Jose Giants' roster]
[ Author: SFGiantsFan | Posted: Apr 30, 2005 7:42 AM ]

- I live in Hagerstown and saw Travis here last year. Good attitude guy and will hit for more power in AA. The park here is a detriment to power hitters.

Well, park effects in Hagerstown notwithstanding, he still hasn't shown the power you'd like to see from a first baseman. Of course, I can't remember the last power-hitting first baseman the Giants had. Will Clark hit 35 in 1987, but he wasn't really a power hitter.

The power stroke is the last tool to develop, but Ishikawa's ISO's have been under .200. He's still young, but I'm not convinced. It's even money he'll be better than JR Phillips!
[ Author: Guest: Yonsei | Posted: Apr 8, 2005 3:14 PM ]

Ishikawa is in single-A, but he's a possible first baseman of the future. Baseball America says people compare him to John Olerud, in that he's got a good swing and good defensive skills. He's expected to develop great power but isn't there yet (hence his assignment to single-A). Part of the equation, apparently, is that he needs to be more consistently aggressive at the plate. Indecision and timidity led to a low batting average last year, but he started breaking through late in the season. (I'm paraphrasing all of this from Baseball America.)

As mentioned above, he's Japanese-American, a native of the Seattle area. Ishikawa was drafted in 2002 and was thought to be a 2nd-rounder, but he told teams he'd go to college if he didn't get a huge bonus. That left him undrafted 'til the 21st round, but the Giants picked him up and gave him that bonus, nearly $1 million. We'll see if it was worth it.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.