Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Ishii Kazuhisa's Career Stats

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Ishii Kazuhisa's Career Stats
Beause Ishii is being posted to the Majors, it's just a matter of time before I start getting hundreds to thousands of queries for his career statistics. (And even after I post them, I'm sure I'll get a few.) So, with no further delay, here they are:

YearTeamAgeGCGSONW/HBWLSW%BFIPHHRBBHBKRERERA
1992YS18120000000.00012328 0/32341722213134.18
1993YS19191003100.75026659 1/34883826632314.70
1994YS20542207500.583493108 0/392117769856494.08
1995YS212630013410.765633153 0/31121477815949472.76
1996YS2280001500.16714231 0/32862222619185.23
1997YS231822010400.714466117 2/373550412028251.91
1998YS242860114600.700834196 1/314912105824178723.30
1999YS25232108600.571589133 0/31231671616275714.80
2000YS262931010900.526744183 0/31371573621054532.61
2001YS272700012600.667732175 0/31351882517374663.39
Totals:2441961784610.6295,0221,184 1/3920109612491,2774784453.38

For those of you who like to work with the data in a spreadsheet or database friendly format, here it is in csv format.

Of note, Ishii had the best winning percentage in the Central League in 1995, gave up the most walks in 1998 and 1999, had the most strike outs in 1998 and 2000, and had the best ERA in 2000. He can be a bit wild at times, but that same wildness also seems to help his effectiveness, especially against teams that swing aggressively.
Comments
Re: Ishii Kazuhisa's Career Stats
[ Author: Cub Fan | Posted: Dec 30, 2001 11:03 AM ]

Is there any word on who is interested in Ishii? Who in the majors needs him and who is actually trying to get him?
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 31, 2001 9:57 AM ]

That's a good question. Ishii has publicly stated his desire to play for a West Coast team since his returnee wife grew up in L.A., but I wouldn't count out the Indians just because they have a working agreement with the Swallows and he's trained with the Tribe before. I know that he'll be posted, meaning every team has a realistic shot of landing him, but I think that this posting system is bogus. I mean, did we ever have any doubt that Ichiro would end up in Seattle?
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Dec 31, 2001 6:15 PM ]

> That's a good question. Ishii has publicly stated
> his desire to play for a West Coast team since his
> returnee wife grew up in L.A., but I wouldn't count
> out the Indians just because they have a working
> agreement with the Swallows and he's trained with the
> Tribe before. I know that he'll be posted, meaning
> every team has a realistic shot of landing him, but I
> think that this posting system is bogus. I mean, did
> we ever have any doubt that Ichiro would end up in
> Seattle?

Well, it's not necessarily designed to give every team a shot at a player, I think it's really just designed so that the two leagues have some kind of system in place for these kinds of situations. No one wants another Irabu-Padres-Yankees fiasco.

I think Ichiro's case was a special one, given his star status and the Mariners' Japanese ownership. But I do think there was doubt that the Mariners would get him. Sure, it was obvious that they would make the biggest push to get him, and I think the chances were greater that the Mariners would get him. But I don't think Ichiro nor the Mariners were assuming anything until the winning bid was announced. Personally, with their history of spending money and international scouting, I thought it was quite possible that the Dodgers could get him. Their 2001 pitching coach had formerly worked for Orix, and had done some of the advanced scouting on Ichiro...

As for Ishii, I can think of 30, maybe 29, teams that would really like to have a solid left-handed starter. It's all a question of who has a cheaper alternative in their minor league system, and who's willing to pony up for the negotiating rights. That Ishii wants to play for a West Coast team isn't particularly relevant; I don't think he'll turn down a Midwest or East Coast team. Cleveland needs pitching, and they've seen Ishii up close, so I think they'll make a good bid for him. Texas still needs pitching in a bad way, and Tom Hicks has proven that he'll blow money like there's no tomorrow, so I imagine they'll make a push for him, too. I'm not one for predictions, but I think it'll be either of those two teams, with Boston being a dark horse.
[ Author: Guest: Tribe Fan | Posted: Jan 1, 2002 12:30 AM ]

Can anyone give a scouting report on Ishii's repertoire of pitches? From looking at his strikeout numbers, it looks as if he is a power pitcher. Baseball America described him as being a similar pitcher to David Wells, but i have heard that this is inaccurate.

The Indians have not been very active in the Far East and their payroll is currently tapped out at around $80M. Unless they can trade Chuck Finley, I doubt that they would be willing to ante up 7-8 million just for the exclusive negotiating rights as well as the 4-5 million per year that Ishii will probably demand.
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Jan 1, 2002 9:25 AM ]

> Can anyone give a scouting report on Ishii's
> repertoire of pitches? From looking at his strikeout
> numbers, it looks as if he is a power pitcher.
> Baseball America described him as being a similar
> pitcher to David Wells, but i have heard that this
> is inaccurate.

Like almost all Japanese pitchers, Ishii has four pitches: fastball, slider, curve, and fork/splitter. His two best pitches are his fastball and his slider. His fastball was clocked at 95-mph last year. By all accounts, Ishii needs to work on his control. (I think it's somewhat odd that despite the fact that Japanese pitchers are known for having tremendous control, even with their breaking pitches, all Japanese starters that have gone to the majors are known for having bad control. And those with good control usually end up relieving...)

> The Indians have not been very active in the Far East
> and their payroll is currently tapped out at around
> $80M. Unless they can trade Chuck Finley, I doubt
> that they would be willing to ante up 7-8 million
> just for the exclusive negotiating rights as well as
> the 4-5 million per year that Ishii will probably
> demand.

The Indians may not have been very active Far East scouting, but in this case they don't have to be. The Indians have a working relationship with Ishii's team, the Yakult Swallows, and he has both trained and rehabbed with the Indians. As for Ishii's contract, I don't know if he'll be able to get 4-5 million per year. He was not as prolific a star in Japan as Ichiro and Sasaki and he wasn't making as much as they were when they jumped. But, I think you're right about the bid money. It's going to run in the 7-8 million range, and it's really going to be a question of who wants to pay it.
[ Author: Guest: Tribe Fan | Posted: Jan 1, 2002 12:36 AM ]

Can anyone give a scouting report on Ishii's repertoire of pitches? From looking at his strikeout numbers, it looks as if he is a power pitcher. I have seen conflicting reports about his velocity ( ranging anywhere between 86mph to 94mph). Baseball America described him as being a similar pitcher to David Wells, but i have heard that this is inaccurate.

The Indians have not been very active in the Far East and their payroll is currently tapped out at around $80M. Unless they can trade Chuck Finley, I doubt that they would be willing to ante up 7-8 million just for the exclusive negotiating rights as well as the 4-5 million per year that Ishii will probably demand.
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Jan 4, 2002 2:39 PM ]

I was giving a kind of simple "scouting report" on Ishii to the users of another baseball BBS I contribute to and looking at westbaystar-san's stats post it occurred to me that Ishii is better than I have given him credit for. He's obviously had a few bad seasons, but when he's healthy, he's been a rock solid pitcher, particulary considering that he pitches in the Bandbox League and in tiny Jingu Stadium. The Rangers are seriously considering him and even though The Ballpark in Arlington is considered a hitters park in MLB, it's cavernous compared to Jingu. He'll certainly have to adjust to the greater power threat in MLB, a problem Sasaki and Nomo are still dealing with. But I won't be at all surprised if his numbers actually improved this year. He may become the third straight Japanese Rookie of the Year.
Ishii Critiques
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 4, 2002 9:18 PM | YBS Fan ]

Actually, I was always under the impession that he did well every other year. One year on, one year needed to rest. However, the data doesn't support that theory either.

It's funny how personal impressions and data don't always coincide. But then, I tend to only see him a few times a year. So he no-hit the BayStars a few years back, then the 'Stars jumped all over him their first couple of meetings the next year. What I saw supported my theory, but the data taken over the entire season didn't.

One thing to note last season, though, was that Ishii, normally known for his domination of the Giants, was 1 and 4 against the big sluggers last season. I know he wasn't healthy during one of those streatches and was pushed to throw when he probably shouldn't have. But, still. 12 and 6 over all isn't that bad. And, yes, he is "rock solid" when he's found his grove.
Re: Ishii Critiques
[ Author: hillsy | Posted: Jan 5, 2002 12:33 AM | CD Fan ]

A little blurb regarding Ishii from USAToday. It's interesting that since Ichiro has been successful, news on NPB is a lot easier to come by. USAToday also reported on the huge sum of money "Gojira" Matsui signed for. If this was last year, I'm fairly certain that wouldn't even have been reported here in the US.

hillsy

Japanese pitcher aiming for majors

By Ronald Blum, The Associated Press

NEW YORK
[ Author: hillsy11 | Posted: Jan 25, 2002 6:57 AM ]

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/dodgers/2002-01-23-ishii.htm

Looks like the Dodgers may not be able to come to terms with Ishii within the alotted time. Sounds like Ishii wants Ichiro type money, but LA thinks that's too high. The article said that Yakult wouldn't get the bid money unless Ishii signs. Is this right? I thought that the 11mil was Yakult's whether Ishii signs or not.
[ Author: Dusanh | Posted: Jan 5, 2002 8:15 AM ]

I'm not sure if anybody else shares this feeling, but I'm concerned that Ishii could potentially become another Hideki Irabu. From what I saw, it seems like the main reason of Irabu's failure is his lack of control. We can probably count the number of pitchers in Japan that could throw 95+ right now, which means hitters there are not used to seeing it. Hence Irabu dominated in Japan despite his poor control and lack of outstanding breaking pitches. I know Ishii have been clocked at 95 but his avg. fastball on an avg day is only in the low 90s, that's only above average in MLB. Personally, I think whether or not he can improve his control will be the single most critical factor to his success if he indeed crosses the pacific next year.
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Jan 6, 2002 7:15 PM ]

> I'm not sure if anybody else shares this feeling, but
> I'm concerned that Ishii could potentially become
> another Hideki Irabu. From what I saw, it seems like
> the main reason of Irabu's failure is his lack of
> control. We can probably count the number of
> pitchers in Japan that could throw 95+ right now,
> which means hitters there are not used to seeing it.
> Hence Irabu dominated in Japan despite his poor
> control and lack of outstanding breaking pitches. I
> know Ishii have been clocked at 95 but his avg.
> fastball on an avg day is only in the low 90s,
> that's only above average in MLB. Personally, I
> think whether or not he can improve his control will
> be the single most critical factor to his success if
> he indeed crosses the pacific next year.

My impression of Irabu was that he pitched pretty well at first, but then there seemed to be some personality problems, and then the injuries hit. Perhaps Irabu wasn't able to make the adjustment to a new culture and a new way of doing things. Perhaps he couldn't handle New York.

With the way Ichiro and Shinjo did in the Majors, I'm having doubts about the supposed inability of Japanese players to hit high heat. Shinjo feasted on fastballs last year. I think that when you get to that level, you can catch up with anything eventually. I don't think Ishii's dominance came from throwing gas.

Also, I think the switch from Marine Stadium (nice and spacious) to Yankee Stadium (very short down the lines) may have had something to do with Irabu's problems. All Japanese pitchers (except perhaps for Hasegawa and Mac Suzuki) seem to have problems giving up home runs. Sasaki has said that it's amazed him that mistake pitches that would only go for hits, or maybe doubles, in Japan were getting carried out. Because Japanese teams stress hitting back up the middle, if you miss inside that's what happens. But most MLB hitters look for that inside pitch to pull with power, so it ends up being a gopher ball. Perhaps that was Irabu's problem (in addition to gaining too much weight, slacking off on fielding, feuding with the fans, earning the Boss's enimity, and hurting his elbow). At any rate, that's my main worry about Ishii, that he'll give up too many home runs. On the other hand, Curt Schilling gave up a bundle of homers last season. If he can keep 'em down to solo shots...
[ Author: Dusanh | Posted: Jan 6, 2002 8:29 PM ]

Well, Irabu had his share of problems, but he is the hardest throwing pitcher Japan has seen since the advent of radar guns. Now, I see your point about hitters being able to catch up to fastballs eventually. However the problem in Japan is that you really don't get much chance to adjust. I mean, as a hitter, you face Irabu one day, deal with his 95 mph heat but when is the next time you'll see anything like it? Probably the next time you face him.

The point being, a 95 mph fastball is a lot more effective in Japan because it's not seen often enough for hitters to get used to it. I'm saying that put someone like Sammy Sosa in Japan and he'll have trouble facing Matsusaka's heat simply because he'd be used to seeing 87 mph fastballs by then. The same goes for Ichiro and Shinjo, once they get used to seeing 90+ everyday, they learn to hit it. (I've never faced a 90+ fastball personally so above are obviously speculations. )
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Jan 7, 2002 6:24 AM ]

> Well, Irabu had his share of problems, but he is the
> hardest throwing pitcher Japan has seen since the
> advent of radar guns. Now, I see your point about
> hitters being able to catch up to fastballs
> eventually. However the problem in Japan is that you
> really don't get much chance to adjust. I mean, as a
> hitter, you face Irabu one day, deal with his 95 mph
> heat but when is the next time you'll see anything
> like it? Probably the next time you face him.

Well, what I was thinking was adjusting during an at-bat and during a game. But, fastest thing I've ever faced in a batting cage was mid-70's, and it took all I had just to get the bat on the ball, so it's all speculation for me, too.

> The point being, a 95 mph fastball is a lot more
> effective in Japan because it's not seen often enough
> for hitters to get used to it. I'm saying that put
> someone like Sammy Sosa in Japan and he'll have
> trouble facing Matsusaka's heat simply because he'd
> be used to seeing 87 mph fastballs by then. The same
> goes for Ichiro and Shinjo, once they get used to
> seeing 90+ everyday, they learn to hit it. (I've
> never faced a 90+ fastball personally so above are
> obviously speculations. )

Well, here's another consideration, and may be an explanation for why Japanese pitchers tend to give up home runs. Speaking very, very generally, MLB players try to generate very high bat speed, while Japanese players forgo high bat speed for making contact. A gas-thrower in Japan may get his fastball hit, but since the batters thinking "contact", it only goes for a hit or a double. But since many MLB players sacrifice some plate coverage for higher bat speed, then maybe when they do make contact the ball goes further. Perhaps this is why even Irabu and Nomo, guys who threw hard in Japan, give up a lot of homers in the Major Leagues.
[ Author: Dusanh | Posted: Jan 8, 2002 5:05 PM ]

In that case, maybe they should learn from MLB players and do more weight training. Japan has had a lot of influence on Asian baseball, this is evident from this year's world cup. As most hitters from Taiwan and Korea have similar approaches at the plate as the Japanese. Dodgers prospect C. F. Chen was the one exception, the American influence on him was evident from his aggressiveness, and it worked out fine for him.

What I really want to see though, is someone like Hashin's Hoshino, or Chunichi's Yamamoto to play in MLB in their prime. It doesn't really make sense to me to try to find power pitchers from Japan when there are so many Jamie Moyer (20 game winner) like guys available. Other then the two mentioned above, Masaki Saito, arguably the greatest pitcher of his era, hall of famers Kitabeppu and Hisagio were all big winners without dominating stuff.
[ Author: seiyu | Posted: Jan 9, 2002 12:08 AM ]

problem with Irabu was not his control. He was just a fat slob with no discipline. He deserves what is getting now. Ishii will do fine. He is under more media scrutiny in Japan. He is married to a popular FUJI TV News announcer (more popular than Ichiro's wife). He is more media savvy.
Ishii in USA Today
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 5, 2002 5:12 PM | YBS Fan ]

Hillsy-san wrote in with the following commentary and a copy of a USA Today story on Ishii's bid for the Majors. Because I'm a little cautious about posting copywritten material directly, I ask you to read the article here, then feel free to add your own comments.

What follows is Hillsy-san's comment introducing the article:

-----

A little blurb regarding Ishii from USAToday. It's interesting that since Ichiro has been successful, news on NPB is a lot easier to come by. USAToday also reported on the huge sum of money "Gojira" Matsui signed for. If this was last year, I'm fairly certain that wouldn't even have been reported here in the US.
Only One Error?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 5, 2002 7:20 PM | YBS Fan ]

After the 2000 season, Seattle paid $13,125,000 to the Orix Blue Wave of Japan's Central League for the rights to Suzuki, who then agreed to a three-year contract worth $14,088,000.

(emphisis on "Central" added)

Of course, Orix is in the Pacific League, not the Central. I guess they have the same source as an other article in the U.S. press last year that made the same mistake. I'll take their word for the dollar values.

Additional information in today's Nikkan Sports says that in addition to the Angels, Diamond Backs, Dodgers, Mets, Yankees, Mariners, and Rangers are the Indians and San Francisco Giants.

Furthermore, Yakult must first accept the offer for exclusive negotiating rights for Ishii. Yakult's president Takiku(?) was reported as saying that he would refuse an offer for 5 to 6-oku yen, saying that he expected something in "double digits."

Re: Only One Error?
[ Author: japfan | Posted: Jan 8, 2002 2:47 AM ]

I think Seattle will make a bid for Ishii... and will win.
Another question does anybody know where Katsuhiro Maeda is playing?
[ Author: hillsy2k | Posted: Jan 8, 2002 4:21 AM ]

My goodness...I hadn't even caught that error. I should read a little closer. My apologies for posting copyrighted material, as well. That hadn't occurred to me either. Heh heh, guess that's why I don't run a site of my own
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 8, 2002 2:41 PM | YBS Fan ]

<jpnfan> - I think Seattle will make a bid for Ishii... and will win.

Well, Nikkan Sports seems to be reporting as though it's down to either LA or Texas. And they are expecting a bid of about 13-oku yen.

(I'll get back to you on the Maeda thing. I know that Katsuhiko Maeda is a pitcher for Kintetsu, but...)

<hillsy2k> - My goodness...I hadn't even caught that error. I should read a little closer.

I know I make errors all the time, but very rarely missing by a whole league. I do hope that you readers do catch them and post them for me, though. I'd rather not give out mis-information if it can be helped.

And don't worry about the copyrighted materials. Most people don't think twice about it, and I'm sure that a non-profit site like this can get away with it. (It's foolish to sue poor people.) But I'd rather err on the side of caution. Feel free to post as many links to interesting Pro Yakyu articles as you like though.
[ Author: japfan | Posted: Jan 8, 2002 7:46 PM ]

I mean Katsuhiro Maeda, the former Yankees minor leaguer...
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jan 8, 2002 8:10 PM ]

Ex-Yankee farmhand Maeda pitched with Chunichi's farm team last season if I'm not mistaken. After the season he was given his walking papers. He'll never amount to anything.
Maeda's Whereabouts
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 8, 2002 9:35 PM | YBS Fan ]

Ah, that's the one I was afraid you were talking about. He sure does seem to be popular. I had gotten quite a few inqueries to his whereabouts at the beginning of the 2001 season.

As a guest pointed out, he played for Chunichi's farm team last season. In the Western League, he appeared in just 4 games earning 1 save and giving up no runs in 4 innings of work (21 batters).

He was one that surprised me that he returned to Japan. After all, he didn't leave for the Majors under very good circumstances, essentially pulling an Irabu to get traded. From what I can tell, he was more humble after returning to Japan than he was before he left.
Re: Maeda's Whereabouts
[ Author: Guest: hillsy2k | Posted: Jan 10, 2002 4:12 AM ]

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/dodgers/2002-01-09-ishii.htm

Looks like the Dodgers have won the bidding. LA is home to 2 Japanese STARTING pitchers (assuming they put him in the starting rotation...I don't know how many teams PAY middle relievers 12 mil a year much less pay that just for the right to sign one) . That's nice to see.

hillsy
[ Author: Cub Fan | Posted: Jan 12, 2002 7:57 AM ]

Nomo is one of the starting pitchers, who is the other? You may be thinking that Chan Ho Park is Japanese. He is a Korean.
Two Japanese Starters
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 12, 2002 8:31 AM | YBS Fan ]

I think the second one was inferred to be Ishii, who they just got negotiating rights to.
Re: Two Japanese Starters
[ Author: hillsy2k | Posted: Jan 14, 2002 11:42 AM ]

No, I'm quite aware that Chan Ho Park is Korean. I was referring to Ishii, although it was a bit premature. All they have done is paid for the chance to sign Ishii, although I doubt ANY team would pay that much and not get something done. By the way, Park is now a Ranger (HAH...that was funny). Texas had one of THE worst rotations in MLB last year so Park should help.
[ Author: Cub Fan | Posted: Jan 14, 2002 12:20 PM ]

I'm sorry, I was wrong. I did not think he was counting Ishii. Also, Park is not even on the Dodgers anymore. He signed a deal with Texas of the American League this off-season.
This is the subject
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Feb 2, 2002 1:38 PM ]

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/dodgers/la-000008073feb01.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dsports%2Dmlb%2Ddodger

Looks like the Dodgers are trying to lowball Ishii.....or the Swallows are saying anything to get their 11 million.
Ishii Signs
[ Author: Kilika808 | Posted: Feb 9, 2002 5:28 AM ]

Just barely beating the deadline, the Los Angeles Dodgers have finally signed pitcher Kazuhisa Ishii to a four-year, $12.2 million contract.

Read all about it:

LA Times
Yahoo MLB News
ESPN

That's the best I could find from the U.S. news... I'm sure that the Japan papers will have the news up very shortly.
Re: Ishii drama?
[ Author: hillsy11 | Posted: Feb 2, 2002 1:40 PM ]

Oops....that last post was me.....
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.