Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

2007 CPBL Foreign Players

Discussion in the CPBL News forum
2007 CPBL Foreign Players
28 year old right handed pitcher Jorge Perez has reported to the Brother Elephants' spring training. Last season Perez spent time in rookie, independent, and single-A ball.

Also reporting to the Elephants was 27 year old righty Andre Simpson. In 2006 he was 7-6 with a 3.28 ERA in 18 games with the Long Beach Armada of the independent Golden Baseball League.

Could Kleber Ojima come back to the CPBL? It looks like the newly formed Dragons are interested. He was great in his one and only season with the then Makoto Cobras, going 7-6 with a 2.20 ERA in 24 games.
Comments
Re: 2007 CPBL Foreign Players
[ Author: mondejoe | Posted: Feb 5, 2007 4:28 AM | YOK Fan ]

34 year old left handed pitcher Gary Rath has reported to the La New Bears. In 2006 Rath was 18-3 with a 2.25 ERA in the Venezuelan League.

Meanwhile, the Dragons are testing out a number of foreigners. Besides Ojima, 28 year old lefty Victor Kleine, 27 year old lefty Diegomar Markwell, and 30 year old righty Travis Minix are the other pitchers trying out for the team. 30 year old infielder Ivanon Coffie has also reported to the Dragons.
[ Author: Guest: shiyama | Posted: Feb 5, 2007 6:47 PM ]

I take it that is the same Gary Rath from Yomiuri (2003) and Rakuten (2005), and Korean teams as well? Good Luck to him, nice guy.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Feb 11, 2007 2:33 PM | SFT Fan ]

- Besides Ojima, 28 year old lefty Victor Kleine, 27 year old lefty Diegomar Markwell, and 30 year old righty Travis Minix are the other pitchers trying out for the team.

I'm just wondering is there is anyone out there who can confirm if the Dragons have signed these three or decided to pass on some of them? Much thanks.
[ Author: mondejoe | Posted: Feb 16, 2007 3:13 AM | YOK Fan ]

The Brother Elephants have signed pitchers Nick Bierbrodt and Justin Reid. 29 year old left hander Bierbrodt was in the independent leagues last season. 30 year old righty Reid was 2-7 with a 5.43 ERA in 43 games for the Las Vegas 51s of the AAA Pacific Coast League in 2006.

The Dragons have signed Ojima and infielder Ivanon Coffie. The 30 year old is a native of Curacao, Netherlands who represented the country in the 2006 World Baseball Classic.

Meanwhile the Sinon Bulls will welcome back Alfredo Gonzalez who was 12-10 with a 2.74 ERA in 40 games (27 starts) for them last season.

The La New Bears have signed Gary Rath. Ramon Morel (2-1, 14 saves, 2.11 ERA in 29 games last year) will be back.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Feb 17, 2007 3:57 AM | SFT Fan ]

I wonder how Bierbrodt will do. He always suffered from control problems while with Tampa and that led to his demise. Though he's still 29 and has plenty of time to try and rediscover his control, I'm leery of that.

As for Ivanon Coffie, from what I'm hearing in the Taipei Times, the Dragons can't find a helmet that fits Coffie's head. Though, I hope Coffie does well, I still fondly remember him from his time in Baltimore in 2000. He seems like the player that could do very well in Taiwan.
[ Author: mondejoe | Posted: Feb 22, 2007 5:12 AM | YOK Fan ]

30 year old left handed pitcher Jeriome Robertson has reported to President Lions spring training. Last season with the team Robertson was 8-2 with a 2.19 ERA in 14 games. It looks like Cordemans and Brito will definitely be signed by the Leos. Robertson will battle it out with Bill Pulsipher for the final foreign player roster spot.
[ Author: mondejoe | Posted: Feb 27, 2007 11:53 AM | YOK Fan ]

32 year old left handed pitcher Horacio Estrada has reported to the La New Bears. In the Venezuelan Winter League Estrada was 5-1 with a 1.96 ERA in 14 games.
[ Author: mondejoe | Posted: Mar 6, 2007 4:13 AM | YOK Fan ]

The Whales are testing pitchers Miguel Saladin, Orlando Roman, Lorenzo Barcelo, former Buffaloes catcher Hiroshi Fujimoto, and outfielders Mike Lockwood and Rodney Medina.

Meanwhile the Elephants have re-signed pitcher Joey Dawley who was 8-5 with a 2.38 ERA in 15 games for the team last season.
[ Author: Guest: Mets21Fan | Posted: Mar 9, 2007 9:17 AM ]

- Robertson will battle it out with Bill Pulsipher for the final foreign player roster spot.

Did Pulsipher report, and if he did, any idea on how this is shaping up?
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Mar 9, 2007 11:14 AM | SFT Fan ]

- Did Pulsipher report, and if he did, any idea on how this is shaping up?

Looking at the Lions roster [CPBL Website- in Chinese] I dont see Pulsipher anywhere.
[ Author: Guest: Mets21Fan | Posted: Mar 10, 2007 1:34 AM ]

Yes, you are correct. But the best I can determine this is an old roster listing and not current. Also it does not show either Robertson or Pulsipher; however, if you go to Wikipedia, it shows both of them as on the Active Roster?

Not sure what is actully up, and there has been nothing in the press about the exhibiton games that I have been able to find.

Thanks for tyring to help.
[ Author: Guest: Mets21Fan | Posted: Mar 10, 2007 10:03 AM ]

Oops, it does show Robertson, but when you click on his link, it takes you to last years statistics is why I question currency of the roster you provided.

The roster I was looking at when I last wrote is here, and does not show either Robertson or Pulsipher.

Again, thanks for trying to help with the status.
[ Author: Mischa | Posted: Mar 12, 2007 3:06 AM | TYS Fan ]

Wikipedia is hardly 100% accurate given its nature. I wouldn't go by that as a main source.
[ Author: Guest: Mets21Fan | Posted: Mar 13, 2007 7:14 AM ]

Agreed about your comment on Wikipedia, but the question I have is, does anyone have any verifiable updated information on the Lions, thier current roster, and how they are lining up for the season?

And of course, I am still interested in any information that anyone might have on Bill Pulsipher as I have followed him for years and have always hoped he would be able to return as he was bigger than life when he first hit the Major Leagues.
[ Author: bigdaub | Posted: Mar 15, 2007 11:14 PM ]

Confirmed foreign players on a CPBL roster as of right now:

La New Bears:
Gary Rath
Horacio Estrada
Ramon Morel

Uni-President Lions:
Jeriome Robertson
Rob Cordemans
Tilson Brito

Sinon Bulls:
Alfredo Gonzalez
Shibakusa Hiroshi
Iba Tomokazu

Macoto Cobras:
Kleber Ojima
Ivanon Coffie

Chinatrust Whales:
Miguel Saladin
Orlando Roman
Lorenzo Barcelo
Hiroshi Fujimoto
Mike Lockwood
Rodney Medina

Brother Elephants:
Joey Dawley
Nick Bierbrodt
Justin Reid
David Glick

Some of these players may be removed from the roster in the next few days before teams finalize their rosters before opening day on 3/17.
[ Author: bigdaub | Posted: Mar 17, 2007 9:30 AM ]

Foreign players on the opening day roster:

Brother Elephants:
Joey Dawley
Nick Bierbrodt
David Glick
Andre Simpson

La New Bears:
Gary Rath
Horacio Estrada
Ramon Morel

Macoto Cobras:
Diegomar Markwell
Travis Minix
Kleber Ojima
Ivanon Coffie

Sinon Bulls:
Alfredo Gonzalez
Shibakusa Hiroshi
Iba Tomokazu

Uni-President Lions:
Jeriome Robertson
Rob Cordemans
Tilson Brito

Chinatrust Whales:
Miguel Saladin
Lorenzo Barcelo
Mike Lockwood
[ Author: Guest: Mischa | Posted: Apr 12, 2007 2:35 AM ]

I saw on a Dutch site that Diegomar Markwell was released. Did he pitch at all for Macoto?
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Apr 13, 2007 12:58 PM | SFT Fan ]

- Did he pitch at all for Macoto?

According to Markwell's profile page [Official CPBL Profile - in Chinese], he pitched in two games, going 0-1 with an 14.40 ERA.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.