Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Official Pennant Thread

Discussion in the Video Games forum
Official Pennant Thread
Post about your seasons and great games from various Japanese baseball games here. Go ahead and do up to date seasons(Pro Yakyu Spirits 2 and Baseball Live 2005), or even go retro(old Pawapuro titles).

I'm doing a pennant with the Giants right now in Pro Yakyu Spirits 2. Rhodes, Kiyohara, Abe, and Kokubo are starting to bring their numbers up. Takahashi has been hitting doubles, and his batting average is the second best on the team(behind Abe). The only problem is that his power numbers and RBIs are lacking. He has 0 HRs and 2 RBIs by 4/18/05. To fix this and get him batting guys in, I've moved Kiyohara to #5 and Takahashi to #4. This move immediately pays off, as Takahashi goes 3-4 with a solo homerun in his first game at #4.

We had a game against Hanshin that was really frustrating. Jamie Brown shut us down for 7 innings. He gave up the solo shot to Takahashi, and an RBI single to Nioka before he was taken out. Makino pitched a perfect 8th inning to keep the game at 2-5.

Kubota then comes in to finish the game in the 9th. Takahashi is the lead off man and hits a double to start things off. Next batter is Kiyohara, and he flies out to center. Motoki replaced Kokubo in the 6th inning, and he comes in to bat. His batting with runners in scoring position has been amazing so far this year. Kubota goes inside and Motoki pulls it. Takahashi comes home on an RBI single. Suzuki comes in to pinch run for Motoki. Abe steps into the box. In the last 5 games, he's been hitting around .450 with 3 homeruns. Kubota strikes him out looking. It all comes down to Nioka. He's just recently started playing regularly, after the 21 year old Nagata was given a chance to play for the first half of April. Nioka rips one to left field, and it bounces off the wall. Suzuki blazes all the way home from first, and Nioka trots into second. Etoh is chosen to pinch hit for Brian Sikorski. His condition is terrible lately, and the other two pinch hitting options, Murata and Kuroda, are in way better condition right now. Kubota throws a couple strikes that Etoh watches. Ball...Ball...Kubota throws a change up inside. Etoh times it perfectly! ITTAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! DAIDA GYAKUTEN SAYONARA HOOOOOOOOMERUN!!!

Kyojin win by a score of 6-5.
Comments
Re: Official Pennant Thread
[ Author: Mischa | Posted: May 12, 2005 8:33 PM | TYS Fan ]

> Post about your seasons and great games from various
> Japanese baseball games here.

Using SBS, I replayed the '98 season last year, managing Chiba Lotte. After the season was a third over, the team was in last (21-26) but every team was within 6 in a very tight division (one reason I picked that year). The team went 57-31 after that to take the title by 7 games over Nippon Ham and Seibu. The regular season highlight was Tomohiro Kuroki pitching 8 and 2/3 hitless before an Ichiro single ruined his no-hit bid.
The team had a lot of guys make the postseason All-Star Team: Julio Franco (.295/.395/.461) provided plenty of offense (as did the other gaijin, Mark Carreon - .361/.424/.525) and Koichi Hori (.282/.337/.469) and Yukihiko Satoh (.335/.417/.520) also made it as Position Players. The team also had 3 All-Star pitchers: Hiroaki Kawamata (4-0, 10 Sv, 0.34, 6 hits in 26.3 IP), Brian Warren (4-2, 10 Sv, 1.50) and Junichiro Muto (6-6, Sv, 3.35). Also providing solid pitching were Soichi Fujita (5-3, 2 Sv, 2.31), Yasuyuki Kawamoto (6-1, 8 Sv, 1.65 - what a bullpen!), Kuroki (10-9, 3.77), Satoru Komiyama (10-8, 3.71) and Koji Takekiya (2-2, 2 Sv, 2.29). Hatsushiba drove in 108 (3rd in the league) and hit 23 homers and a league-high 36 doubles while Mitsuchika Hirai hit .320 (2nd in the league to Ichiro). The MVP was Fumiya Nishiguchi of Seibu (17-4, 2.96), the Sawamura Award winner.
In the Central, Kazuhiro Kiyohara hit a 4-homer game. Bobby Rose was the MVP (.348/.449/.558, 96 runs) as Yokohoma fell 2 games shy of Chunichi for the title.
Another fun game: Down 5-1 after 3, the Marines hit two grand slams (by Franco and Hatsushiba) to rally to beat the Lions.
The Japan Series started on a bad note for Chiba Lotte. Shigeki Noguchi allowed 2 runs in 9 while Komiyama allowed 1 run in 6 before an early exit for a pinch-hitter. The Marines led 2-1 entering the bottom of the 9th, but my amazing regular-season bullpen imploded. Kawamoto allowed a two-out, one-on single to Masuda, walked Sekikawa and then walked Inoue to force in the tying run. In the bottom of the 10th Leo Gomez homered off 0.34-ERA-in-the-regular-season Kawamata to give game one to the Dragons.
Kuroki fell behind Masahiro Yamamoto 2-0 after 2 in game 2, but he helped his own cause with 3rd-inning double. With one away, Hori doubled him in and with two out Hatsushiba singled in Hori to tie it. Kuroki and the bullpen allowed nothing more while Chiba Lotte picked up another 2 for a 4-2 victory to tie the series.
In game 3 Muto and Kawakami were pitching well and neither team scored till the 4th when Hatsushiba and Satoh hit back-to-back doubles. Muto then allowed 3 in the 5th to put the Dragons ahead, but Kazuya Fukuura and Franco drove in runs in the 5th to tie it. In the 6th, Kawamoto again ran into trouble, putting two on with two out. Yoshihisa Kondo relieved and Jung-Beorm Lee tripled in both runs to put Chunichi back in front, 5-3. In the 8th Sekikawa was thrown out at home to keep it close. In the bottom of the 8th Fukuura singled, Franco walked and Carreon singled. Hatsushiba hit a sac fly to close it to a one-run game and Satoh singled in Franco to tie the score. In the bottom of the 9th, Kenji Yoshitsuru walked. Hirai fanned. Fukuura singled. Franco fanned. Iwao Omura pinch-hit and doubled in the winner.
Game 4 opened in Chunichi's favor as Jung-Beorm Lee greeted Komiyama with an opening homer. Noguchi allowed the first 3 Marines on and Carreon ground in Takeshi Tachikawa to tie it. Franco homered in the bottom of the 3rd for a 2-1 Marines lead. Teryoshi Kuji opened the 4th with a triple and Gomez doubled him in to tie it again. In the bottom of the 6th Chiba Lotte strung together 4 singles by Franco, Hatsushiba, Hori and Omura for a 4-2 advantage. Takekiya ran into trouble in the 9th, walking Takeshi Yamasaki and then allowing singles to Kazuyoshi Tatsunami and Takeshi Nakamura. Kawamoto relieved and retired Sekikawa but Kazuki Inoue singled in two to tie the score again. Kawamata entered and got a double play ball from Junichiro Jinno. Lee led off the 10th with a single and steal but was stranded. In the 11th, 3 Dragons walked but Hitoshi Taneda flew out to end it. With two outs in the bottom of the 13th, Masataka Endoh allowed a Hatsushiba single. He walked Satoh. Hori walked. Omura walked as well, forcing in the winning run. Chiba Lotte took a 3-1 lead and Omura had his second game-winning RBI. The Marines had used 9 pitchers - Komiyama, Fujita, Takekiya, Kawamoto, Kawamata, Yabuta, Sonokawa, Hoshiba and Warren.
Hatsushiba drove in the first run of game 5, but in the second Chunichi began pounding Kuroki. Nakamura hit a 3-run homer and they took a 4-1 lead that inning. They added 2 more in the 4th and Nakamura drove in another in the 5th as part of a 7-2 rout to stay alive and bring the series back home.
In the 3rd inning of game 6, Fukuura got the festivities going with a 2-run double. The lead didn't last long at all as Lee tripled in a run and scored on Kuji's single. In the 4th Makoto Kosaka singled and swiped second. Mark Carreon pinch-hit for the catcher and doubled in the run. Muto singled. Hirai singled to make it 4-2. Kenji Morozumi flew out. Franco walked. Hatsushiba coaxed a bases-loaded walk, knocking out Yamamoto. Fukuura hit a sacrifice fly for a 6-2 lead and they tacked on 2 more in the 5th. Chunichi battled back, though, as Lee homered in the 5th as part of a 4-run rally to make it 8-6. In the 10th Satoh, Kosaka, Yoshitsuru and Naoki Matsumoto banged out 4 singles in a row and Hirai drove in Kosaka for a 10-6 Marines edge. In the 6th, Lee continued to dazzle, walking and taking second on a wild pitch, then scoring on a Gomez single. They moved closer yet in the 8th when Kawamoto walked Inoue and Sekikawa. Warren retired Nakamura but PH Takeshi Aiko singled to close it to 10-8. Lee finally proved mortal by hitting into a 5-4-3 double play. In the 8th, Warren retired the Dragons in order and Fujita did the same in the 9th to lock up the Series for Chiba Lotte. I won 4 games to 2 though each team had scored 29 in the series.
Lee hit .423/.516/.923 in a losing cause with 8 runs and 9 RBI in 6 games for the Series MVP. Hatsushiba (.423/.464/.615) and Franco (.320/.433/.480) led the Marines offense as during the regular season and despite struggling the bullpen still won 3 games.

No other NPB replays in mind right now, but I plan on covering another season at some point down the line.
[ Author: Mischa | Posted: May 18, 2005 8:25 AM | TYS Fan ]

If you're interested in seeing complete stats and standings for my '98 Japan replay using SBS, go to
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/simsports/files/Baseball%20/Season%20Replays/1998%20Japan/
[ Author: Guest: Skinz | Posted: Jul 16, 2005 6:25 AM ]

Well, I'm playing Baseball L!ve 2005 and started a season with the Softbank Hawks. I'm in July 17 and here's my stats for my 3,4, and 5 batters:

Batista -- .267 26HR 70RBI

Jojima --- .324 28HR 62RBI

Matsunaka --- .311 27HR 68RI

Zuleta is having a horrible year for me so far. I don't know what to do with him. He's batting 7th as a DH but I can't replace him because there's nobody on the bench with power like him. If he continues like this, I might have to sit him down for a while

Zuleta -- .215 9HR 33RBI

Saitoh is doing alright. He started off slow but I just finish throwing a 5 hitter with him. He's 8-4 for the year.

Sugiuchi is also doing good with an era of 2.35

The rest of my pitching staff needs some work.
[ Author: Guest: skinz | Posted: Jul 21, 2005 11:33 PM ]

I'm in august 6 sitting in first place with a 2.5 game lead against the lions.

Standings

Hawks 55-43
Lions 53-46
Fighters 53-48
Buffaloes 52-48
Marines 37-60
Eagles 29-71

Batista - .240 32HR 82RBI with 85 strikeouts
Matsunaka - .317 26HR 71RBI with 46 walks
Johjima - .306 29HR 76RBI

Zuleta - .218 13HR 41RBI
I'm really getting tired with this guy. I usually use the power swing with him since he have S power, but his average is horrible. He have 74 strikeouts.

Cabrera - .251 3HR 28RBI with 15 stolen bases. He should have more steals than that. This is my fault since I don't steal alot. I'm gonna start using some speed from now on.

My pitching:

Sugiuchi - 9 wins 6 loses 3.16ERA
the best ERA out of my staff

Saitoh - 8 wins 5 loses 3.27ERA

Kurano - 6 wins 4 loses 4.46ERA

Wada - 9 wins 6 loese 3.65EAR

Arakaki - 4 wins 5 loses 4.02ERA

Pitching is alright but could really improve.

[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Jul 21, 2005 7:12 PM | CLM Fan ]

I just started a Chiba Lotte pennant on Pawapuro 12 with all arrange teams. Everything is default except for these...

CPU Running: Hard
CPU Defense: Hard
CPU Batting: Hard
CPU Pitching: Powerful
Pitch Cursor: Off
Fielding Cursor: On
Direction Pad Control

I opened up the season against Rakuten. We won 5-4 with Komiyama getting the win in relief. Isobe hit the only HR of the match.

Much love to Shinigami for the pitching advice. The stats are a lot more realistic now.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Jul 22, 2005 9:24 AM | CLM Fan ]

I'm switching the CPU pitching to Hard, because the pitchers rarely throw outside of the strike zone on Powerful. I found myself swinging at balls before decent counts, and that caused the team batting average and hits per game to skyrocket. Also, the opposing pitcher's pitch count stayed fairly low.
[ Author: Guest: skinz | Posted: Jul 30, 2005 8:30 AM ]

I've decided to play Pro Yakyuu spirits 2004 with updated arrange teams. I just can't get into Baseball live 2005 hitting mechanics. And every curveball is a hooking curve. I'll use baseball live just to simulate games only.

Anyway, I updated the entire Central league with future stats in Pro Yakyuu 2004 and picked the Swallows to go for the championship.

Difficuly - Hard
Preemptive ball location -Off
Fielder cursor -off
Bat cursor- Normal
Ball speed- normal
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 27, 2005 7:26 AM ]

I'm playing as the Hirosima Toyo Carp on Pawapuro 12
settings :
running: hard
fielding : hard
Pitching : hard
Batting : hard
so far I'm 1-11 ..but getting better ...
Laroca is hitting .150 but has 5 HR's
Arai is hitting .357 with 4 Hr's and 10 rbi's

[ Author: Guest: Skinz | Posted: Aug 29, 2005 11:23 PM ]

I finally got the game this weekend and so far its great. Its like a hybrid of the Baseball Live and Pro Yakyuu series.

I like the ball physics in Pro Yakyuu. There's bloop singles and hops. I'm still getting used to the fielding because you have to make a good jump when the ball is hit. If you don't make it its a double or triple for your opponent, I lost six games because of that. The camera angles are the best I've seen in any baseball game. Homeruns are hard to hit now unlike 2004 version where you can take it out of the park at your will. Even if you time it right you can still strikeout of pop it up which I love.

I love the pitching but I wish they put more movement on some of the breaking balls ie: Curveballs, sinkers,forkball,etc.

The CPU will really hit you hard if you become lazy while pitching. I had a 7-2 lead against the Lions in the top of the 8th and began to just throw anything because I thought I had this game won when all of a sudden I gave up a homer, let 3 men get on base, Wada hit a grand slam, and Fernando hit another solo shot to tie the game. I ended up losiong the game because it happened so fast. I LOVE IT!!!!1

here's my stats in May 23

Igawa 5-2 43 strikouts
Andoh 4-2
Fukuhara 2-2
Shimoyanagi 2-2
Brown 3-2

Imaoka 7HR 34RBI
Kanemoto 9HR 39RBI
Sheets 4HR 15RBI
Spencer 7HR 25RBI

Sheets is really struggling so I put him in the number 6 hole behind Hiyama. He also strikeout too much.
[ Author: Guest: Skinz | Posted: Sep 1, 2005 10:25 PM ]

I'm playing Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2

So far I'm doing great with my Tigers penant race, although I lost my last 4 games. I got sewpt by the Fighters and lost 6-9 to the Lions.

the standings in June 15

W L
Tigers 39 21
Giants 35 26
Swallows 30 25
Dragons 33 29
Baystar 30 29
Carps 24 30

My stats for the Tigers are:

Akahoshi .313 1HR 20 RBI 30 SB
Toritani .302 7HR 27 RBI
Imaoka .347 9HR 43 RBI
Kanemoto .332 17HR 48 RBI
Hiyama .287 8HR 36 RBI
Sheets .256 5HR 31 RBI
Yano .304 3HR 19 RBI
Fujimoto IHR 8 RBI

Spencer .296 15HR 43 RBI

Fujimoto was injured so I've been using Sekimoto for a while. Fujimoto just recently came back so that's why his numbers are so low. Sheets have been a major bust so far. He have the most strikeouts on the team and his power numbers are horrendous. I sent him to the bench and put Kataoka at 1st but that didn;t do no better. Kataoka only have 1HR and 4 RBI. Shane Spencer have done wonderful for me as a DH in the interleague play. I might switch Hiyama and Spencer from right field depending on the pitcher just to keep him in the game. Spencer for left handers and Hiyama for right handers.

Pitching:

Igawa 7-3 4.02 ERA
Fukuhara 3-2 4.20 ERA
Ando 5-3 3.88 ERA
Shimoyanagi 3-3 3.40
Sugiyama 6-1 2.20

Sugiyama is really stepping up. He was the 6th man in the rotation but I demoted Brown to long reliever because he just wasn't cutting it and put Sugiyama in the 4th hole.

My bullpen still need more work. I really need another good right hander for the 6th or 7th innings. Fujikawa is doing okay but my other right handers are horrible.

[ Author: Guest: Skinz | Posted: Sep 1, 2005 11:21 PM ]

Update:

I think I found my right hand man. Mr. Hashimoto worked a good solid 4 innings after Ando got bombed by Alex cabrera and Nakajima in the 3rd for 4 runs. I lost the game 7-4 but some light was shown in this game. Kataoka had a solo homerun and an RBI single and Fujimoto have way better range than Sekimoto. I really didn't notice this unitl today. So for now, if Katoaka goes on a tear Sheets will be riding the bench for a while.

The Giants and the Dragons won so the Giants are only 3.5 games behind me. I can't wait till this interleague mess is over and start crushing teams in my division.
[ Author: Guest: Skinz | Posted: Sep 1, 2005 11:22 PM ]

Oh, here's my settings:

CPU- Hard
Pitch speed - Medium fast
Normal bat cursor
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.