Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Pawapuro 12 gripes

Discussion in the Video Games forum
Pawapuro 12 gripes
So I finally learn how to pitch and not give up homers to every power hitter, but now the computer thinks my pitch count is too high. Due to this, most of my rotation can't even make it to the 5th inning. Pawapuro really needs to fix their pitching stamina. In real Japanese baseball, almost every guy on a team's rotation is capable of pitching all 9 innings. My Pennant Mode is ruined because Serafini and Kubo can't even make it past the 4th inning.

As more time passes, I'm more disappointed with Pawapuro 12. They screwed around with the batting too much. They also only added around 10 or so new stances and forms. I could probably count them right now...

Ohnishi
Zuleta
Isobe
Toritani
Akahoshi(ruined his stance)
Kamakura
Utsumi

Less than 10! Not to mention they made Brian Sikorski's "guru guru" arm spin glitchy and awful.

None of this surprises me, because Konami changed producers of this game for God knows what reason. I'm going back to Pawapuro 11 Chouketteiban until the series becomes good again. I've been trying to find ways to make this game FUN ever since it was released on 7/14, but I'm giving up now.
Comments
Re: Pawapuro 12 gripes
[ Author: Guest: Skinz | Posted: Aug 24, 2005 10:48 PM ]

Ouch! I thought you were excited about the game. Pitchers can't go pass 4th innings? That's a major problem unless he's getting lit up and don't have it.

And they messed up on Brian Sikorski's arm spin? How is that possible?

What about going back to Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2?
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Aug 24, 2005 10:54 PM | CLM Fan ]

The Spirits team has a lot of work to do before I can get into that game for a long time. I need ridiculously realistic stats for a whole season, and none of these modern titles give this to me.

I think I'll try to get back into Pawapuro 98 and Pawapuro 5 soon. I love that old Hiroshima Carp team with Ogata and Maeda in their prime, Nishiyama becoming Best Nine, Etoh at third, and Kanemoto in LF.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Aug 24, 2005 10:57 PM | CLM Fan ]

To give you an idea, Watanabe Shunsuke was too tired to continue after 70 pitches. How realistic is that? He gave up one run and has A stamina.

Also, Sikorski's arm spin is glitchy because instead of doing it once, like in Pawapuro 11, they have him doing it over and over. In order to do this, the developers looped his animation, but did a poor job of it. So now you have like the audio equivalent of a bad loop. A very bad cut and paste job. I couldn't believe it when I first saw it.

[ Author: Guest: Skinz | Posted: Aug 24, 2005 11:50 PM ]

Ugh! That's a disgrace,I had the same problem with Pro Yakyuu spirits 2004. I played as the Swallows in the pennant race but the stats for the pitching were really horrible.

Ishikawa had A stamina but his stamina bar would be near complete even though he would throw 70 pitches in the 8th inning. I guess the developers are trying very hard for the player to use the bullpen but they are doing it wrong. I must say the the only realistic pitching stats are from Baseball Live 2005. The overall of the game is terrible(especially the fielding, its like MLB 2K5 all over again) but they have the pitching hands down. I remember playing against the Dragons and Domingo was having major control problems and walked five of my batters but only gave up 2 runs and struckout 4. However, the CPU let him stay in the game until the 7th inning with a pitch count of 105 and his stamina bar still had enough left for him to go to the 8th.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Aug 24, 2005 10:51 PM | CLM Fan ]

Also, the production team who was responsible for all the great Pawapuro titles of the past, Diamondhead, aren't present on the box art for Pawapuro 12.

If you guys have the means to play Japanese titles on PS1, N64, Super Famicom, etc., I suggest trying to get the old titles. I went to used game stores in Japan and picked up Pawapuro 4, 5, 6, 8(ketteiban), and 98(ketteiban) for around 25 bucks combined.

They're probably the most fun for me, mostly because of the atmosphere and gameplay. The Super Famicom, N64, and PS1 Pawapuro titles have a totally different feel from the PS2 versions. It's also nice to have epic battles with guys like Hideki Matsui, Kaz Matsui, Ichiro, Nori Nakamura, etc. All their stats are totally jacked up, too. Ichiro is almost all As.

The only downside with the old titles is that the Pennant Mode is only for a single season. I'm not 100% sure that's the case with all the titles, but I'm fairly certain of it.
[ Author: jomcclane | Posted: Aug 26, 2005 2:24 AM ]

BigManZam,

You know much more about Pawapuro than I do. And you probably play the game on much harder settings than I do. So much of what I'll say probably doesn't apply to you.

I'm a newcomer to the series. I've only played Pawapuro 11 Ketteiban and Pawapuro 12. I play with CPU Running, Fielding, and Batting set to HARD. And I play with CPU Pitching set to NORMAL. I play with the left analogue stick, not the D-Pad.

When I pitch with guys that have an "A" in Stamina, **especially if they don't have a Blue Face or worse**, I'm able to throw more than 70 pitches with them. My pitch counts with "A"-Stamina guys are usually in the high 90s or low 100s. Sometimes they're in the 80s.

I went back and played Pawapuro 11 Ketteiban again, and here are 3 things I noticed:

1) The ball physics in Homerun Derby are better in Pawapuro 12.

2) The variety of plays in the field increased significantly in Pawapuro 12. High chops off the astroturf, fly-outs at the warning track, diving back-handed glove flips to start double plays - I see more stuff like this in Pawapuro 12.

3) Defense feels more polished. Getting good jumps on grounders and fly balls is actually rewarded.

I just prefer the overall feel of Pawapuro 12.

Finally, did the ACTUAL GAMEMAKERS change for Pawapuro 12? Because Pawapuro 12 doesn't seem THAT different from Pawapuro 11 Ketteiban. And Famitsu seemed to like Pawapuro 12 a lot.
[ Author: jomcclane | Posted: Aug 26, 2005 3:53 AM ]

Just one more thought.

I think it would be silly if every pitcher with an "A" in stamina could pitch a complete game nearly every start.

I've thrown a complete game shutout, and I've thrown a number of complete games. But all of them felt EARNED.

[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Aug 26, 2005 5:31 AM | CLM Fan ]

If you follow Japanese baseball, though, you'd know that complete games aren't a rare thing. The managers work their pitchers like crazy. This just isn't represented well in Pawapuro at all. I think it's more realistic in Spirits and Baseball Live.
[ Author: jomcclane | Posted: Aug 27, 2005 5:15 AM ]

I don't follow Japanese baseball that closely. I currently live in the U.S., and I currently have a crummy internet connection. So its hard for me to keep up with it.

Here's an overall impression I'm getting. The Pawapuro gamemakers want every man on your roster to matter.

Pinch hitting and running can make a huge difference late in the game. Frequently, pinch hitting for a full-time power hitter with a more mediocre player with a higher "Meet" rating can lead to come-from-behind victories.

The same applies to the bullpen. What's the point of having all these bullpen guys sit there while your "A" stamina pitchers do all of the work?

It may not be "realistic" when compared to real life Japanese baseball, but its certainly more "elegant" in a universal/gameplay sense.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Aug 26, 2005 5:29 AM | CLM Fan ]

Well, my issues are strictly with the pitching stamina, cheap computer homeruns, and also there's little challenge to my batting. It's not rare for me to put up more than 20 hits against the hardest difficulty. This is when I give myself a handicap and never swing early in the count.

I think they created the Pawapuro Production team and mixed people from Diamondhead in with new people.

I find myself having a more realistic time with Pro Yakyu Spirits 2, actually. For anyone curious, this is how I play...

Difficulty - Perfect
No mit cursor
Analog control
Middle speed pitching

I set power swing at the beginning of the count and only swing if the ball cursor is fairly decent in size. After two strikes, I set the batting to normal and try to get a base hit. It all depends on the situation, really. My stats are very realistic with this approach.
[ Author: Guest: Skinz | Posted: Aug 27, 2005 12:12 AM ]

I set power swing at the beginning of the count and only swing if the ball cursor is fairly decent in size. After two strikes, I set the batting to normal and try to get a base hit. It all depends on the situation, really. My stats are very realistic with this approach

I only do that with my power hitters. The rest I just leave the cursor on normal. But if I have runners on 2nd or 3rd with 1 out then I use the normal cursor with my power guys to drive the runners in.
[ Author: Guest: Skinz | Posted: Aug 29, 2005 11:28 PM ]

Hey Bigman, I got Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2 and its fantastic. When I started playing it The pitching Stamina began to seem like the way you described it for Pawapuro 12. My pitchers would pitch 75 pitches and the stamina would go to red already. But then I pitched with Igawa from the Hashin Tigers and went to the 8th with a 110 pitch count and still didn't go to red. So I think the its the pitcher that you chose that determined how long he can go.
[ Author: jomcclane | Posted: Aug 31, 2005 6:48 AM ]

BigManZam,

I think I understand what you're getting at.

I'm currently playing a season with the Hawks. My best starting pitcher has a "B" in Control and an "A" in Stamina.

In one start, this guy pitched 8+ innings with a pitch count in the 90s or 100s. I also struck out 14 with him, a new personal best for me with the CPU batting set to HARD.

So in his very next start he has a Blue Face. He does OK, but right around 70 pitches he starts to get tired!

At 1st glance this seems wacky, but I believe there is some method to the gamemakers' apparent madness. This makes every man in your bullpen matter.

I've played too many baseball games where you easily cruise through a season using only 3 or 4 of your starters and maybe 2 or 3 guys from your bullpen. Meanwhile, the rest of your pitching staff just sits there like dead weight.

The gamemakers were caught in a bind. Option 1: They give pitchers more "realistic" stamina thereby rendering large portions of most teams' pitching staffs moot. Option 2: They make pitching stamina become a little less "realistic" OCCASIONALLY to force gamers to regularly use EVERYONE in their bullpens.

Again, I don't follow Japanese baseball too closely. But I'm glad that the gamemakers went with Option 2.

Option 1 might be more "realistic" when compared to real life Japanese baseball. But Option 2 is more "elegant" in a universal/gameplay sense. (I said a lot of this before in an earlier post. But the post got buried in the middle of the thread, so I'm not sure if anyone actually read it.)

I still believe Pawapuro 12 is the best baseball video game available.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Aug 31, 2005 8:22 PM | CLM Fan ]

Point taken, but I still think the CPU batting is cheap. Which brings me to a new gripe...

I've been playing My Life with a created pitcher. First few seasons were decent. I didn't have much stamina, so I was a closer. I'd have awful stretches towards the end because of the GOD AWFUL "mark system" that makes the computer tougher when you get decent. So on my 5th year, I converted to starter and got a 15-7 record with a 2.43 ERA. My 6th year, I went to Chunichi as a free agent. The only problem is, the mark system increased the difficulty to a level I can't even strike people out at. Now I'm stuck in the farm with no end in sight, giving up 6 runs in 2 innings every game. I have no choice but to give it up and start all over again as a batter. That's 5 years of pitching thrown down the toilet because Konami are a bunch of brain dead idiots.

Most of the fans on Japanese boards share this same sentiment.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Sep 1, 2005 2:21 AM | CLM Fan ]

Since My Life mode is ruined, I'm trying to get Pennant Mode working again with all Powerful level, except for batting. Batting is set to hard. I lost to Rakuten in the season opener due to bad work from the bullpen. I struck out 8 in 7 innings and only gave up 6 hits and 1 run with Naoyuki Shimizu. I think I wasn't paying enough attention and got lazy when I made the switch to the bullpen, and we ended up losing 1-6.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Sep 17, 2005 4:36 AM ]

-ridiculous pitching counts
-almost impossible to get a walk
-almost impossible to hit a triple
-no behind the pitcher view
-no manage-only mode
-no realistic difficulty settings

baseball is a game of stats...if I can't get realstic stats in a baseball game , it's just no fun for me ...
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Sep 17, 2005 5:48 AM | CLM Fan ]

You really have to have a good eye to draw walks. Don't expect the pitcher to throw the ball way outside of the strike zone.

Triples come when you push yourself to get that extra base. There are very little obvious triples. Most of the time, you have to take the gamble of whether you can beat the throw.

I think there needs to be an option for a behind the pitcher view next time.
[ Author: Guest: Shinigami | Posted: Sep 17, 2005 11:14 AM ]

seems like u're gonna go back to try it again a few more times huh?

but just some things u gotta know...about realistic difficulties...it really depends on urself, for some genius even powerful seems extremely easy for them, but that doesn't mean the difficulty is unrealistic...get my point? u just have to tweak it to ur level, change to harder difficulties if it's too easy, and if it's too hard...well...either u go back to the unrealistic or what about practicing more urself and become better at the game?

about triples, remember u can speed up ur running by pressing L and R repeatedly, that, along with good visions on what's going on in the outfield, getting a triple is not impossible, but there's always risk. i also believe konami can make some adjustments to outfielders so they dun track the ball like machines all the time to rob extra bases, but until then...stick with it, or go find another better more realistic baseball game...if there's one

about the management mode...u 'can' manage the team and simulates every game, that's the closest thing to a managerial game in pawapuro 12...or u can go and find pro yakyuu tsuku, altho that game's quite hard to play if u dunno japanese.

behind pitcher view would be nice

anyways...play whatever u like, even the most popular game does not match everyone's taste, there will always be someone who like it and some dun, so if u really feel u cant get urself to like the game, then try other stuffs or something...do what u want

cheers~
[ Author: Guest: Skinz | Posted: Sep 18, 2005 9:03 AM ]

Hey, triples are hard to get period in real life. I 'm glad they did something about that. There's a reason that players only get 15 triples in 162 games in MLB. It's really hard to stretch a double into a triple unless you hit it in a perfect spot in the outfield.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.