Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

MLB Pro Yakyu Spirits??

Discussion in the Video Games forum
MLB Pro Yakyu Spirits??
Will there ever be a pro yakyu spirits for the MAJORs? Since konami already got the lisening to use players and stadiums.

I can't stand those kids PAWA versions, they look ridiculusly stupid and no fun what so ever.. every players look exactly the same except different colors add to their meat bun heads. No motion and real physics need... I guess it's a selling point in Aisa since people since people enjoy the cartoon doramon so much.

Maybe they will continue to produce these as it is much easier to come up with new version once a week. But come on, realism is the key if they want to make a mark in the U.S market. I am sure if they produce a major version, it will blow every competition out of water, so why don't they?
Comments
Re: MLB Pro Yakyu Spirits??
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Jun 12, 2006 3:59 PM | CLM Fan ]

You're entitled to your opinion, but refrain from the insulting words. The majority of us here are Pawapuro fans.
[ Author: Guest: Skinz | Posted: Jun 13, 2006 12:27 AM ]

Sorry but that is NEVER going to happen. I would give up that dream real quick. Closest thing to get would be MLB 2006:The Show.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jun 13, 2006 2:16 AM ]

That's exactly why american baseball games are garbage...
Give the people some graphics and they will buy it.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jun 13, 2006 2:49 AM ]

Well, my bad if my words insulted any PAWA fans out there, I am mad at Konami for putting the PAWAMAJOR verion out to see if that will have an impact on U.S market. The fact is, U.S market prefer realism and I think Spirits can do just that, why don't they put out a demo and see how people will react to it? I am sure they will make a fortune.

I bought the pawamajor myself and list it on ebay the following day. If you don't mind, can you explain to me why this game is so great?

[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Jun 13, 2006 11:00 AM | CLM Fan ]

I can't stand PawaMajor.
[ Author: Guest: skinz | Posted: Jun 13, 2006 10:22 PM ]

Hey, did you sell it already? I don't see it on Ebay. I'm willing to buy it if you still have it.
[ Author: Guest: James | Posted: Jun 14, 2006 1:08 AM ]

Well, no matter how horrible a day I've had with a sixteen hour shift, no breaks, and numerous medical emergencies, I can always go home afterwards, fire up one of these games, and become instantly happy.

Sure there are great games out there like Madden, Halo, Metroid and such, but Powerful Pro Baseball is the only game that will put me in a joyful mood, and I just love the music on top of that.

KCEO is for me what Disney is to little kids.

Actually, I would like to see the series become even more ridiculous such as rushing the pitcher, arguing close calls on base, fielders colliding with each other, running into the outfield wall, players crying and screaming, etc. I think it would be awesome to see the players even more completely spastic. :o)

Anyway, I will argue that you're wrong about the physics engine, I think it holds up quite well.
[ Author: jomcclane | Posted: Jun 14, 2006 1:35 AM ]

Bullpen45,

I agree with you 100%.

King Jojima,

Konami's primary reason for making PawaMajor had nothing to do with the U.S. market. Konami released PawaMajor primarily to capitalize on MLB's growing following in Asia. Many Asian players now play in the Major Leagues. And last season, Tadahito Iguchi became the first to win a World Series title (with the White Sox). Strangely enough, this was the same year that Bobby Valentine became the first American manager to win the Japanese championship (with Chiba Lotte).

Though I'm sure Konami is keeping tabs on North American/European/Australian imports of PawaMajor too.

I imagine that making an MLB Pro Spirits would be much more costly and time consuming. Because the gamemakers would have to get much more specific with the player models - faces, batting stances, animations, etc.

And let's not forget about Take-Two's deal with MLB. Here's the press release from the Major League Baseball Players' Association:

"Beginning in 2006 (the deal is a 7-year one), Take2 will have exclusive rights among third-party publishers (EA, Konami, etc.) to develop and market simulation, arcade and manager-style baseball video games on the current and next-generation PlayStation, X-BOX, Nintendo, personal computer and hand-held video game systems. At the same time, manufacturers of video game systems (Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo) will have the opportunity to develop and publish baseball simulation games for their own platforms."

If you'd like to learn why PawaMajor is so great, check out the following:

http://japanesebaseball.com/forum/thread.jsp?forum=86&thread=23364

http://forums.operationsports.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=157921&page=16

The Options/Difficulty Settings are crucial in PawaMajor. LOCK-ON Batting Cursor, DIGITAL Cursor Movement with the Left Analog stick. Turning the Mit Cursors off adds more of a challenge once you're decent at the game.

And you've got to be aware of your players' individual attributes (you see them by pressing "Triangle" when a player's name is highlighted). I've translated these in the first link above. Again, I apologize for all of the weird punctuation (question marks). My guides didn't look like this when I first posted them. Something unknown to me, beyond my control has messed them up. They're still legible though.

[ Author: jomcclane | Posted: Jun 15, 2006 2:33 AM ]

Oh, and I think that Take2's exclusive right among third-party publishers to make MLB-licensed videogames only applies/extends to the North American market. That's why Konami was still able to release PawaMajor in Japan.

But if Konami were to make deals with the three 1st-party publishers (Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo), we could still see Pawapuro/PawaMajor and Pro Spirits in North America on the next-gen consoles.
[ Author: jomcclane | Posted: Jun 15, 2006 2:53 AM ]

BigManZam,

What, in particular, can't you stand about PawaMajor? I'm curious because I usually agree with you, and I like PawaMajor.

Is it the lack of My Life? Success mode's problems? Or that the Analog cursor movement doesn't quite feel right? (LOCK-ON batting cursor and DIGITAL cursor movement with the Left Analog Stick feel great to me. Different, but still great.)

Given the amounts of extra teams and stadiums, and that this was Konami's first attempt at simulating a completely different/foreign brand of baseball - I think they did a great job.
[ Author: Guest: Shini | Posted: Jun 19, 2006 4:37 PM ]

phew...finally got internet back....

i dunno, lol

maybe i didn't play enuff of pawamajor...i dun like it that much as well...

popped in a pawapuro 12 at my friend's house the other day, and for some reason i found it more fun than pawamajor...

i dunno how to tell it, it just seem that the older pawapuros were better somehow...>__>
[ Author: jomcclane | Posted: Jun 19, 2006 7:22 PM ]

I've gotten better at PawaMajor and I've tinkered with the settings again. I'm more convinced than ever that this is a great game.

First, here's what's still the same for me. DIGITAL Cursor movement is absolutely essential. I'm unsure why they even included ANALOG cursor movement in PawaMajor.

And as anyone who owns both an earlier Pawapuro version and PawaMajor knows, PawaMajor's LOCK-ON batting cursor is set as the default and is a bit more challenging than in previous Pawapuros.

Now here's where my thinking has changed. I was convinced that LOCK-ON was the best way to go. On multiple occasions, I've advised people that DIGITAL plus LOCK-ON is the only way to go in PawaMajor. THIS IS WRONG!

In the long run, LOCK-ON is only good for beginners and for making the gameplay more arcadey. But in the short run, LOCK-ON also helps more experienced Pawapuro players "adapt to"/"get a feel for" DIGITAL cursor movement with the Left Analog stick - a new feature to the Pawapuro series. I believe this is why the gamemakers made LOCK-ON the default.

But batting has become too easy for me with LOCK-ON. Not ridiculously easy, but too easy nonetheless.

I've moved up to the ASSISTED (PINK) batting cursor. And this still works great for me with the CPU Mit Cursor turned OFF.

The NORMAL (GREEN) batting cursor seems a little too difficult without the CPU Mit Cursor. But using the NORMAL (GREEN) batting cursor with the CPU Mit Cursor ON gives more of an "old school" Pawapuro experience -at least this was how I often played Pawapuro 11 and 12.

So in sum, try these and see what you think...

CPU Running, Fielding, Batting - POWERFUL
CPU Pitching - HARD

Human Batting Cursor - Assisted (PINK)
CPU Batting Cursor - Normal (GREEN)

Cursor Movement - DIGITAL for both Human and
CPU (This is usually Grayed Out for
the CPU, but I think sometimes you
can set it.)

Mit Cursor - OFF for both Human and CPU

Finally, I've seen some of the prettiest Triples ever in PawaMajor - deep, high floaters off the top of the wall; long liners into the opposite field gap; and hard-hit outfield grounders misplayed by the fielder.
[ Author: Guest: Shinigami | Posted: Jun 19, 2006 10:38 PM ]

or maybe I am just ticked off with some of the poor stats in this game...i dunno

for some reason i cant seem to adapt/adjust to it to make me like it a lot.
[ Author: jomcclane | Posted: Jun 21, 2006 4:26 AM ]

One revision to my last post above: I'm now thinking that you should leave your catcher's Mit Cursor On when pitching to the CPU. This seems to yield more realistic strikeout totals.

Pitching definitely has a different feel in PawaMajor. At times I love, and at times I hate it. I'm still experimenting.

Shinigami,

When you say "poor stats" do you mean the assigned player ratings/abilities, or do you mean the batting average, homerun, RBI, etc. totals you acquire when playing a season?
[ Author: Guest: Shinigami | Posted: Jun 21, 2006 11:30 PM ]

I'd say both

altho sometimes they dun make that big difference when u play the game...

i dunno...pawamajor just has a different feel to the regular pawapuros...and i think i prefer pawapuro more for some reason...*shrugs*
[ Author: jomcclane | Posted: Jun 22, 2006 12:10 AM ]

I completely agree that PawaMajor "feels different" from previous Pawapuros. But change isn't always a bad thing...

I think the gamemakers were trying to give PawaMajor its own unique "feel/flavor" since it simulates an entirely different/foreign league. Also, they might've had trouble making the ANALOG Cursor Movement run smoothly because of all those extra teams and stadiums, and that's why they added DIGITAL Cursor Movement with the Left Analog Stick to PawaMajor.

Regardless of their reasons, I'm enjoying PawaMajor with DIGITAL Cursor Movement and the ASSITED Batting Cursor. The game is FUN TO PLAY.

But I don't think I prefer PawaMajor over Pawapuro, or vice versa. I like them both about the same, but for different reasons. Pawapuro 11 Chou Ketteiban and PawaMajor are what I play. I've never liked 12 and 12 Ketteiban quite as much, though they're still good.
[ Author: Guest: Shinigami | Posted: Jun 22, 2006 3:13 PM ]

Only played 10~12

but I'd also say 10 or 11 is my favorite...

12's gameplay is kinda screwy...in some areas ^_^;

but i feel better when i play 12 than pawamajor...well..i suppose this is just my personal feeling...everyone feels differently XD

cant wait for 7.13
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.