Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Kapler De-activated

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Kapler De-activated
The Yomiuri Giants have deactivated outfielder Gabe Kapler. Kapler so far has been a disappointment batting .153 (17 for 111) with 3 HR and 6 RBI in 38 games. [News - Daily Yomiuri] [Season Stats - NPB-BIS - in Japanese]
Comments
Re: Kapler De-activated
[ Author: matteo | Posted: Jun 9, 2005 5:24 PM ]

Although I don't like seeing players getting de-listed mid season, I think it was inevitable. As a suketto, you are expected to put up the power numbers. He didn't put up any numbers. So sayonara to Kapler, joining the long list of failed foreigners.
Re: Kapler's Status Unknown
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jun 27, 2005 3:34 PM ]

This Boston Globe article says Kapler was placed on the injured reserve list (deactivated also) by the Giants. So I think this means Kapler is still with the Giants, just deactivated from the top team.

Also, it looks like the Daily Yomiuri has finally began to archive their articles for more than beyond a week on their website, so I place the new link to the original article below.

[Original Daily Yomiuri Article]
[ Author: Guest: Bill | Posted: Jul 8, 2005 1:20 PM ]

What's the latest on Kapler? I heard he hasn't even shown up for games for the last 2 weeks or so. Is he going to be released? Or sent to the minors? Does his contract have any language that says he can opt for a release if they send him down?

Any insight? Thanks.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 8, 2005 1:30 PM ]

- What's the latest on Kapler?

I thinks he's been deactivated, dropped from the active team due to injury. His season has been disappointing. There have been rumors of the RedSox signing him if he returned to the majors, I don't why though.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jul 8, 2005 1:29 PM | YBS Fan ]

According to the unofficial Disabled List page (in Japanese), Capler was sent down with a lower back problem on June 4. That's the last anyone's heard anything about him.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 9, 2005 11:59 AM ]

Kapler has been placed on waivers, which would make him available for release. [Full Story - Daily Yomiuri] [See also this thread.]

It's my guess that Kapler will sign with the Red Sox soon afterward.
[ Author: Guest: fastballguru | Posted: Jul 18, 2005 8:19 PM ]

Looks like you were right on. Kapler signed with the Red Sox and was placed on DL.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jul 26, 2005 6:44 PM ]

Kapler is 4-8 in Pawtucket on a rehab assignment. He played in Single-A ball first, and now he is in AAA. He should be rejoining the 'Sox soon seeing that a rehab assignment lasts no longer than 30 days.

It's amazing, isn't it? Kapler and Micelli couldn't cut it here, but now both of them will be in the big leagues back in the States. Nice job Giants.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Jul 26, 2005 7:42 PM | CLM Fan ]

Are you saying the Giants should've kept them? They were laughing stocks in Japan. It was best for them to leave.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 27, 2005 2:10 AM ]

- Kapler and Micelli couldn't cut it here, but now both of them will be in the big leagues back in the States. Nice job Giants.

Kapler and Miceli played their way out of Japan. It's better for them now in the majors.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Aug 4, 2005 5:32 PM ]

Gabe Kapler told reporters that he blamed himself for his shortcomings this year with the Yomiuri Giants. He told reporters: "I didn't make adjustments, baseball adjustments, I should have swung earlier in the count more. I took too many pitches." [Full Story - Daily News Transcript]
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 9, 2005 9:22 PM ]

Kapler signed a contract with Boston last week.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.