Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Koshien Weekend

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Koshien Weekend
I'm not a regular contributor, but I have checked in from time to time, and I read the recap of the 2003 Japan Series on these forums, since I didn't have access to TV. I should probably just say that I am a resident of Chicago, and I visited Tokyo on business in 2001, and was introduced to Pro Yakyu at that time. My business contact was a Hanshin Tigers fan, and took me to a baseball game at Jingu ballpark with the Tigers and the Swallows. I was hooked from day one, and immediately asked to attend another. I returned on vacation/business in 2002, and attended four more Hanshin Tigers games, two at the Big Egg and two at Koshien. This year, there are six games on my schedule, the first three at Koshien, and the next three will be at the Seibu Dome, where the Tigers take on the Lions for what I understand to be the first time ever. [From Admin: Hanshin hosted the Lions earlier to a 2 and 1 record at Koshien.]

Anyway, this weekend was a blast at "Ko-Shien." The Tigers hosted the Nippon-Ham Fighters for the weekend series.

Game 1 on Friday (June 10) had a busy first inning, leaving the Tigers leading 3-2. The game slowed down a bit, and eventually, it became tied up 4-4. In the 9th inning, Kanemoto served up the sayonara home run, causing the Tigers to win 5-4.

Game 2 on Saturday saw the Fighters jump out to an early 6-1 lead, creating a really somber atmosphere in Koshien. That is, until the 6th inning. The Tigers rallied as a team for five runs to tie the game 6-6. In the 7th inning, the Tigers scored another 5 runs capped off by a grand slam by the catcher, Yano. The Tigers won the game 11-6. There was a left-handed pitcher starting for the Fighters, so the Tigers did not start Hiyama or Yano, but they were substituted in after the 6th inning when the starter was pulled. Shane Spencer got the start in right and played dismally. He missed two fly balls to right, which he ran in on but didn't get to in time. He got booed, which I have never seen before in Yakyu. Everyone was very happy (myself included) to see Hiyama put in.

Game 3 today was a disappointment. The Tigers couldn't get anything going, and the starter, Shimoyanagi gave up 7 runs in 2 innings. He is now 6-1 on the season. The Tigers lost the game 10-3. I was really hoping for a win based on his previous performance, but it was obvious that he didn't have anything from the first inning, when all of the outs were long fly balls to the outfield, and three runs scored on base hits.

I took tons of pictures. I don't know if anyone would like me to post them, or even if there's a good way to do that. I will be attending all three games at the Seibu Dome with the Tigers vs. the Lions on Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday before I leave on Saturday. Is there any interest in pictures? (Lucky 7, general pictures of the stadium. I did get a picture of myself with a bunch of the Tigers' "cheerleaders." That's probably the most interesting of all of them.)

Go Tigers!

Erick
Comments
Photos
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 13, 2005 8:51 AM | YBS Fan ]

Yes, I'm very interested in getting non-copyrighted photos. I'd put out a request a number of times each year, but all I ever got in response was people pointing me to official sites - with copyrighted photos.

Nonetheless, there are two methods to upload photos right now. The first would be to create a Pro Yakyu Wiki account and notify me of your User ID there. I'll then give you write permissions for the Research Photos section. If you think you want to do more with the Pro Yakyu Wiki, let me know and I'll expand your privileges.

The other method is to listen to yesterday's game in which I give Pro Yakyu Live contact information. I prefer most exchanges to be out in the open. I don't know why people keep asking me the same questions that are answered on the forum via e-mail - but it drove me to the point that I don't post my e-mail address anymore. Sorry for the inconvience.

Nonetheless, I look forward to the photos. And I really like reading about game reviews as well.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.