Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Inter-league Play to Continue

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Inter-league Play to Continue
Inter-league play is likely to continue next year with a little tweaking, according to Central League President Hajime Toyokara and Pacific League President Masao Koike. Both Toyokara and Koike branded the inter-league play as a success and said changes such as dividing the season in "two halves" and decreasing the amount of games would make it more attractive next year. [Full Article - Daily Yomiuri]
Comments
Re: Inter-league Play to Continue
[ Author: niibu_yaa | Posted: Jun 18, 2005 2:32 PM | FSH Fan ]

I think it's a good thing for the NPB to keep inter-league play. From what I've read it seems that in some cases it has helped attendence. In a lot of cases it hasn't made a big differece. The way I look at it any increase is good, even it is isn't widespread.
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Jun 18, 2005 11:05 PM | SL Fan ]

Yeah, great idea! 6 teams is just waaaay too few teams to be playing 140 game seasons. Inter-league adds intrigue to early season games, and now we can get on with the pennant races!
Re: Inter-league Fan Feedback
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Jun 20, 2005 10:27 PM | YAK Fan ]

The Sankei Sports website had the results of a survey taken to get feedback from the fans about their impressions on the Inter-League games, and I've translated the results here:

Q1: Were the Inter-League games interesting?
Interesting:                              3,732 (90.5%)
No change from regular Intra-League games: 226 (5.5%)
Not interesting: 168 (4.0%)
Q2: How did you feel about the number of games against each team? (6 games per team for 36 games)?
Too many:    1,127 (27.4%)
Just right: 2,542 (61.7%)
Too few: 451 (10.9%)
Q3: For those that answered "Too many" in question 2, what do you think should be the appropriate number?
4 games per team (24 games total):    604 (53.6%)
3 games per team (18 games total): 363 (32.2%)
2 games per team (12 games total): 160 (14.2%)
Q4: For those that answered "Too Few" in question 2, what do you think should be the appropriate number?
 8 games per team (48 games total):    123 (27.3%)
9 games per team (54 games total): 139 (30.8%)
10 games per team (60 games total): 75 (16.6%)
12 games per team (72 games total): 114 (25.3%)
Q5: How do you feel the Inter-League games should be distributed over a 1 1/2 month period?
The same as this year: 914 (22.2%)
Separate into 2 different parts: 2,584 (62.9%)
Mix it up (2 CL, 2PL, 2IL games per day.): 613 (14.9%)Q6: Did you watch more baseball on TV, or attend more baseball games during Inter-League play?
Attended/watched more:        2,489 (60.4%)
Attended/watched less: 137 (3.3%)
No change: 1,496 (36.3%)
Q7: Do you want to see Inter-League games again next year?
Yes:        3,715 (90.3)
No: 96 ( 2.3%)
No opinion: 305 ( 7.4%)
The survey was taken on Sanspo.com from June 16 at 5PM - June 17 6:30 PM. 4,126 people completed the survey.

Here a few opinions given during the survey:

Tokyo teen male: "If they continue with the current format, then it will fall into the same old routine. They should devise some scheme so the fans won't get bored of it, such as holding them every other year, or taking the most popular series or making regional rivalries like MLB does."

Fukuoka teen male: "It was exciting at first, but holding the games over a month and a half period, and you get used to it, making it feel like the excitement is lost. I think they should separate it out."

Tokyo 20's female: "It was more exciting than I imagined. I pretty much memorized all the faces and names of the PL players. But I was disappointed the TV showed only the Giants games as usual."

Nara 20's male: "I think it'd be interesting if they shuffled the home grounds as well. For example Hanshin vs. Softbank at Sapporo Dome. They could probably make a scheme to reduce travel distances."

Tokyo 20's male: "I went to some Pacific League parks that I don't normally go to, and saw some great fan service. If they effectively utilize the Inter-League games, then I think that baseball's popularity will come back."

Aichi 30's male: "There were a lot more interesting series, but there were also some boring ones as well...."

Osaka 40's male: "36 games is too many. I think they should switch home and visitor every other year, and play 18 games."

Kanagawa 50's male: "I was able to see some good Pacific League pitchers. I felt that even the weak teams have strong points."

Original article in Japanese from Sankei Sports
Re: Inter-league Fan Feedback
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jun 21, 2005 12:32 AM ]

The numbers given in that survey are interesting, and prove that inter-league play was truly a success, and needs to return in 2006.

However, I think that the inter-league play needs to be maybe broken into two different rounds of play. Also, there were new rivalries built, and fans got to see players they would have never seen except for in the All-Star Game or Nippon Series.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 5, 2005 3:33 AM ]

The NPB said inter-league play will continue with 36 games for a second year of inter-league play next year. Teams in the respective leagues will play six games against the opposing league's teams, three home and three road games. The games will be concluded in July before the All Star Break, but the committee is debating whether to divide the inter-league calendar into a first half and second half instead of playing all of the games in one stretch. [Full Story - Japan Ball]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Aug 2, 2005 1:54 AM ]

The NPB said inter-league games will take place from May 9 to June 18 next year. Some suggested that inter-league games be divided into two parts, but the league will hold all of the inter-league games in one stretch following Golden Week as it was done this season. [Full Story - Japan Ball]
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.