Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Valentine Rips World Baseball Classic

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Valentine Rips World Baseball Classic
Bobby Valentine dissaproves of the MLB and the MLBPA's attitude toward NPB and international baseball. AP sports writer Jim Armstrong [Chicago Tribune] writes that Valentine views the MLB/MLBPA plan as "misguided and insulting."

NPBPA head Atsuya Furuta, along with Valentine, feel that a tournament in November would be better for baseball and the players than before spring training. Valentine also critizes MLBPA head Gene Orza's insulting ultimatum for NPB to make a decision to participate by June 30th.

I agree with Bobby's suggestion that a "true" World Series in November, pitting the NPB versus MLB champions would be a better scenario.
Comments
Re: Valentine Rips World Baseball Classic
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jun 29, 2005 8:45 AM ]

I made a similar topic about this on the Open Talk forum. [Link]

I'm glad someone of Valentine's position spoke out against the WBC for what it is: corrupt, flawed, too much in favor of MLB, and not representative of a true world championship. I agree with Valentine's opinion that the WBC is "misguided and insulting." It's truly outrageous that MLB will get 60-70% of the revenue and holds the majority of seats on the WBC steering committee.

I also agree that Valentine's opinion of a true world championship, where the North American champion will face the Asian champion, is a better idea. This idea is more representative of a baseball touranment, and more representative of the aspects of baseball, a team, not a group of all-stars. Playing a true competitive world championship where there is a meaning is a truly better baseball championship to baseball fans across the world.
Re: Valentine Rips World Baseball Classic
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Jun 29, 2005 12:54 PM | HAN Fan ]

I will present my proposal that goes back over 15 years:

While the Major League Baseball three-layer playoff is going on, the Nippon Professional Baseball champion could face the winner of games between the Korean Baseball Organization and Taiwan's Chinese Professional Baseball League. Then, the Asian champion could face the MLB survivor in Honolulu.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.