Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Kuwata not giving up on Major Dream

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Kuwata not giving up on Major Dream
The current leading pitcher in the Central League, Giants' 17 year veteran Masumi Kuwata, when asked about his free agent eligibility a couple of days ago answered, "I won't know until the season ends. Not until I have a long talk with Watanabe-owner. I might not [declare free agency], and there is the Majors. For now, there's the meeting with the owner. I've always talked one on one with him."

Yea, like in the fall of 1997 when Watanabe essentially said that he owned Kuwata until his real-estate scandal dept was paid back. I wasn't much of a Watanabe fan before that incident, but that pushed me to the really disliking phase. The way Kuwata, Makihara, and others were treated during the off seasons over the years has really made me wary and untrustful of Watanabe-owner.

Nonetheless, Kuwata is posed to win his second career pitching title. His first came in his second year of 1987 when he led the Central League with a 2.17 ERA. He finnished 2nd in 1990 and 1994. He'll most likely be the "Comeback Player of the Year" this year as well. And this comes just a season after one of the Giants' coaches told him that he'd never throw at 1-gun again.

Awards and titles Kuwata has received include:

1987 Best Pitcher (ERA)
    1987 Best Nine
    1987 Sawamura Award
    1994 MVP
    1994 Most Strike Outs

Going against him is his age. He'll be 35 next season. On top of that, that one major injury diving for a bunted ball back in 1995 cost him a season and a half and will most likely be a deterant, despite his incredible 2002 season.

As I said earlier, Kuwata is curretly posed to win the pitching title (ERA) again this season. Chunichi's Kenshin Kawakami would have to pitch 5 scoreless inning or 9 one-run innings to overtake Kuwata down the streach here. The Giants have three remaining games while the Dragons have five (going into play on October 5).

I think that Kuwata will most likely act out his dream against the Major League all stars this November, but let it end there. But, hey, I've been wrong before on these matters.
Comments
Re: Kuwata not giving up on Major Dream
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Oct 7, 2002 12:22 AM ]

Looking at his record since that 1995 injury, he doesn't look like much of a major league quality pitcher except for 2002. At his age with his injury history, I can't see a major league team looking at him as anything more than a short term stopgap (Texas, maybe?) and offering him an incentive laden contract. I'd suspect he is far more marketable in Japan, where some people will remember him as the superb pitcher of 1987-1990 and 1994, and the Comeback Player of 2002. Frankly, his history really pushes him toward staying in Japan. If he goes, it will be because 1) it really *is* a dream for Kuwata, and/or 2) some major league team offers him a contract which is insane from the team's standpoint (certainly possible, but not highly likely).
Re: Kuwata not giving up on Major Dream
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Oct 12, 2002 6:46 PM ]

First, as far as the Comeback Player of the Year award goes, it's already been given to Tomonori Maeda. But I have to agree with those who want to give it to Kuwata. He was a hair's breadth last season from being released. Hara has saved the guy's career.

At his age, I don't really see him as drawing much interest in MLB even with this ERA title this season. Some may view it as a fluke. I did think that he would come over after Nomo, but that arm injury deep sixed that. Jim's analysis is pretty spot on, I think.

Kuwata has one other problem as well: my personal impression is that he is something of a slimebag. His winning that libel case earlier this year from one of the weeklies that insinuated that he was too friendly with gangsters notwithstanding, the real estate speculation problems that he has had gives many people the impression that he is perhaps not all that wholesome an individual, if you get my drift. Just given that, he is not a good bet, imho.

Looking at Kuwata causes me to recall the reaction of one of my Japanese friends when she heard the news that Egawa was busted for possession of speed (this was while I was living in Japan): "Yeah, like that was a surprise." I'll have the same reaction if Kuwata ends up being exposed in something equally, or even more, nasty.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.