Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Furuta to Manage Swallows?

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Furuta to Manage Swallows?
The Yakult Swallows have apparently met with catcher Atsuya Furuta to ask him to take over as manager for Tsutomu Wakamatsu who's contract expires at the end of this season. Swallows' officials said they're expected to meet Furuta next Tuesday at the earliest about an official offer. [Full Story - Japan Ball]
Comments
Re: Furuta to Manage Swallows?
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Sep 20, 2005 10:53 PM | SL Fan ]

This is one way to get rid of Furuta as the Players Association president.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Sep 21, 2005 12:25 AM ]

Furuta has stated his wish to keep playing. He said that he might move to another team if the Swallows don't allow him to continue his career.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Sep 21, 2005 10:37 AM ]

Swallows' owner Yoshikazu Tagiku said Furuta would take the managerial spot as a way of increasing Yakult's fanbase and he's not focused on the terms of the contract.

So far Furuta has issued no comment except to say that he won't talk about the course of negotiations with the team. Furuta said, "I don't know which way this thing will fall. I have things I want to say (to the club), but I haven't said anything (yet)." [Full Story - Japan Ball]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Sep 24, 2005 11:21 AM ]

According to sources, Furuta will become the Yakult Swallows' manager. He will be a player-manager, according to the Hochi Shimbun.

If true, Furuta would be the first player-manager since Katsuya Nomura who was a player-manager for the Nankai Hawks. [Full Story - Daily Yomiuri]
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Sep 24, 2005 5:37 PM | HT Fan ]

- If true, Furuta would be the first player-manager since Katsuya Nomura who was a player-manager for the Nankai Hawks.

Which would be a great thing to see, as Furuta was under the tutelage of Nomura for so many years. A continuation of a tradition, so to speak.
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Sep 26, 2005 5:30 PM ]

Outside of Nagashima, do fans in Japan really go to a game to see a manager? How does taking Furuta off the field, where he has had what I would term a heroic last couple of seasons considering how shot his knees are, improve the quality of the club's fan base? Don't fans prefer to see their favorite players actually playing?

And while they are doing this, the Swallows are apparently going to post both Iwamura and Hirotoshi Ishii this off-season (with Kazuhisa Ishii perhaps returning) over Furuta's objections. So what does that do to the team's fanbase, especially in the wake of a lackluster season? Tagiku is talking out of both sides of his mouth here. I think that Tagiku wants to unload some contracts and is using Ishii's and Iwamura's wanting to play in MLB as an excuse, and Furuta's age is another handy rationalization.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Sep 26, 2005 10:51 PM | HT Fan ]

- Outside of Nagashima, do fans in Japan really go to a game to see a manager?

Sure, definitely. I think the manager's role in Japan is a very important one in terms of leadership. At least that's the way the media plays it up. Have a look at any game on TV, and you'll see how often the camera cuts to the manager in the dugout. Much more so than in MLB.

But also consider the importance of the traditional doage when a team wins a pennant. It's always the manager who's first to be tossed in the air. Not the MVP, not the guy who's just hit the winning run.

Look at the excitement Nomura and then Hoshino aroused among Tigers' fans when they were signed to manage the team. And also the gloom in and around Tokyo with the Giants seemingly unable to find anyone suitable to manage that club.

Furuta certainly has the smarts to shine in the strategy department, and he's popular, not only for his playing skills, but for his role in saving the game as head of the Players' Association. He's articulate, and the media will hang off every word he says. And that certainly will do wonders for the club's profile.

A very good move by Yakult.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Oct 18, 2005 9:20 PM ]

Furuta has said he will agree to manage the Swallows. He signed a two year contract to become a player-manager. He will step down as the president of the Players Association after eight years. [Full Story - Japan Ball]
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.