Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Former Daiei Owner Passes Away

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Former Daiei Owner Passes Away
Former Daiei Hawks owner and Daiei Inc. founder Isao Nakauchi passed away of a stroke Monday at the age of 83.

Nakauchi purchased the Nankai Hawks in 1988 and moved the team from Osaka to Fukuoka in a bid to create a solid fan base in not only the city but the entire Kyushu region. Nakauchi took advantage of Daiei Inc.'s giant retail chain financial strength to acquire star players from rival teams and to steadily produce young stars. His baseball business, which centered around the construction of the Fukuoka Dome and a adjacent hotel in Fukuoka, successfully made the Hawks one of Japan's most supported teams.

It took the Daiei Hawks 11 years to win its first Pacific League and Nippon Series title under Sadahuru Oh. Oh-kantoku said about Nakauchi, "His death came too early. I wanted to make my team stronger and play more attractive games in front of him."

Current Softbank Hawks owner said about Nakauchi, "I greatly admire Mr. Nakauchi for leading a revolutionairy business strategy in Japan's retail industry and it's a shame we couldn't watch a baseball game together."

Nakauchi stepped down as Hawks owner in 2000.

[Full Story - Japan Ball]
Comments
Re: Former Daiei Owner Passes Away
[ Author: himself | Posted: Sep 20, 2005 10:11 AM | FSH Fan ]

This is a great loss for all Hawks fans, particularly in the Kyushu region. He was the key figure in returning professional baseball to Fukuoka and building them into a perennial contender. He will be missed tremendously.

R.I.P.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.