Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Giants Release Kiyohara

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Giants Release Kiyohara
The Yomiuri Giants released first baseman Kazuhiro Kiyohara, Saturday. Kiyohara batted .212 with 22 HRs and 52 RBIs in 96 games this year. He hit his 500th career home run this year as well. Overall, Kiyohara has a career .273 average, 514 HRs, and 1,491 RBIs.

The Seibu Lions, Rakuten Eagles, and Orix Buffaloes are interested in the services of Kiyohara. [Full Story - Japan Ball]
Comments
Re: Giants Release Kiyohara
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Oct 4, 2005 2:26 PM | HAN Fan ]

The problem for Rakuten is Kiyohara's cost and injury record. From what I have heard it is unlikely that they will make him an offer.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 4, 2005 7:23 PM ]

Let's take a look at each teams' players at first base and designated hitter.

The Lions have Cabrera at DH/1B, but he may leave next year. Fernandez may stay another year, and he could play either DH or 1B. They could also use Kaizuka at 1B. Personally, even though it'd be a nice gimmick to get fans to come out to games, Seibu should focus on young guys who deserve a chance. They should continue to use Ishii at third. Nakamura has earned a regular spot, so he should be DH. Taketoshi Gotoh also deserves a regular 1B or DH position. I don't see Kiyohara being any more of an improvement over Nakamura or Gotoh.

Orix has Kitagawa as a regular 1B, so that's out of the question. The question they need to ask is, will Kiyohara be better than Brumbaugh? Brumbaugh was a HR king in Korea, so Orix would be well advised to let him have another season. Look what another season did for Matt Franco and Lee Seung Yeop. Also, if getting Tuffy is a realistic option, they should keep DH open. The outfield is already full with Muramatsu, Tani, and Garcia. Though there are rumors that Tani could go to the Giants. If he continues putting up numbers like he did this year, I'm sure Orix won't miss him. Muramatsu's best days may also be behind him.

Rakuten has to be satisfied with Yamasaki's power batting this season. He will stay at DH next season, unless Rakuten can sign someone huge. Yoshioka is pretty much finished as a regular, so Kiyohara has 1B open for him.

Kiyohara may only settle for playing with Seibu, though.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Oct 4, 2005 10:05 PM | HAN Fan ]

I cannot reveal my source, but the person was in a position to know what Rakuten was planning. Currently Kiyohara does not figure in their plans in any way.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Oct 5, 2005 2:48 AM ]

- Kiyohara may only settle for playing with Seibu, though.

Leaving manager Akira Ohgi of Orix said signing Kiyohara was his number one priority. I'm not so sure if I believe Rakuten will make a competitive bid for Kiyohara, but I believe the race will go down to Orix and Seibu for Kiyohara.
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Oct 5, 2005 9:07 PM | SL Fan ]

Some people suspect that Nomura would never allow Kiyohara's pierced ears into the Rakuten clubhouse.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Oct 14, 2005 2:17 PM | HAN Fan ]

It was announced that Kiyohara and Orix have just entered preliminary negotiations.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.