Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Bobby Magic

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Bobby Magic
Check out this excellent Newsday.com article (originally in the Los Angeles Times) about Bobby Valentine:
Bobby Valentine is toast of Japan after winning title, but don't presume he's in a hurry to accept MLB job.
Comments
Re: Bobby Magic
[ Author: Guest: Kenny | Posted: Nov 7, 2005 7:34 PM ]

I've been tough on Bobby V. the last week or so, but after reading this article I can admit that I'm partially wrong. Props to Bobby for admitting that he covets the Dodgers' managerial job. I think we all knew that Bobby wanted that job all along, but this is the first time I've ever heard him say it publicly.

BTW, the article contains one glaring error - the Marines didn't bust out the pink on their uniforms until 1992 and not the '70s like it claims.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Nov 8, 2005 12:34 PM | HT Fan ]

Surely the pink uniform itself is the glaring error.
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Nov 8, 2005 10:54 PM | SL Fan ]

Orions unis had purple-red, but not pink. I had forgotten about that. [Photo 1] [Photo 2]
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Nov 10, 2005 10:41 PM ]

Newsday is reporting today that Bobby will sign a 3 year deal with the Marines at over $4 million per year, much more than he would get from the Dodgers. Good for Bobby.

I thought the article was balanced and accurate as well.

As The Duke posted elsewhere, there is nothing like being a demi-god.
Arabic Numbers?
[ Author: Guest: buymeabeer | Posted: Nov 11, 2005 1:30 PM ]

Second to last line in the article says that Japanese jerseys actually have arabic numbers on the back. There must be a linguistic term here that I'm missing cause, swear to god, I can read those numbers. Someone fill me in, please.
Re: Arabic Numbers?
[ Author: Heian-794 | Posted: Nov 12, 2005 4:12 AM | HT Fan ]

Buymeabeer, people call European numerals "Arabic" because they imported the system (though the forms of the digits are different) from the Arab world.

I don't know why they say that 2 is the "Japanese equivalent" of Valentine's number - his number is 2. But American readers probably are surprised that the writing on Japanese uniforms is entirely English. I remember the first time I ever saw a picture of a Japanese player - a guy from the Yokohama Taiyo Whales - and doing a dobule-take when I saw "YOKOHAMA 2" on the front of his shirt. It was inconceivable that people would intentionally put a foreign language on their jerseys!

Is the old Blue Wave "Ganbaro, Kobe!" patch the only Japanese writing on a uniform in recent years?
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Nov 12, 2005 2:26 PM | SL Fan ]

It is interesting that Chinese, Taiwanese, and Korean jerseys all contain lots of Chinese and Korean characters for team names and player names (but not numbers, they're all arabic!).
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Nov 12, 2005 9:12 PM | HT Fan ]

- Is the old Blue Wave "Ganbaro, Kobe!" patch the only Japanese writing on a uniform in recent years?

The Orix Buffaloes jerseys feature a patch which reads "Kintetsu." I'm not aware of any others.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.