Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Japan Only

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Japan Only
jballman writes:

Here is an excellent story from Japan Today that all should read.

Management of the Nippon Television Network Corporation (NTV), alarmed by the surging popularity of US baseball, issued a top-secret internal order to black out US baseball-related news, alleges Tokyo Sports (May 5). NTV is affiliated with the Yomiuri Shimbun, owner of the Yomiuri Giants, which is generally acknowledged to be the nation's most popular professional team.

[My first comment to this is, "check the source."  I don't know how reputable the Japan Today is, but they're quoting Tokyo Sports, which doesn't have much of a reputation for accuracy.  Nonetheless, the article does provide for an interesting hypothisis.  Click "Read more" for the rest of the story.]

The order was issued out of concerns that excitement over the exploits of Ichiro Suzuki, Tsuyoshi Shinjo, Hideo Nomo and other Japanese stars who have migrated to US major league teams has badly cut into the viewer ratings for NTV's broadcasts of Giants' games.

When the Giants suffered a 17-0 drubbing at the hands of the rival Chunichi Dragons earlier this week, the game attracted a dismally low 11.6 percent audience rating -- the worst so far this season and about half the average for such broadcasts.

The order to spike US baseball news was apparently prompted by the May 3 showdown in Seattle between Boston Red Sox pitcher Hideo Nomo and Seattle Mariners outfielder Ichiro Suzuki. On May 2 and 3, NTV's "News Plus 1" evening news program avoided all mention of major league baseball. In contrast, the "Super News" program on Fuji TV, aired in the same time slot, highlighted the Nomo-Suzuki encounter three times during its regular news broadcast.

"I think they are trying to keep Japanese baseball fans from straying from the fold," says a source in the TV industry. "NTV will be broadcasting about 70 Giants home games this season, and they want to keep viewers tuned into the Giants by any means."

If viewer interest in the Giants continues to slump, Tokyo Sports says NTV's minimal coverage of US baseball is likely to be cut even further.

Comments
Japan Only reply
[ Author: Guest | Posted: May 16, 2001 9:20 PM ]

You have the same problems in Europe. UEFA and EU have agreed that you are not allowed to broadcast forreign soccer games the same time as when the local ( national games) are played.

example. If you are in Denmark, and the Danish league i playing soccer, then the Danish TV are not allowed to send English premiere league at the same time.
Giants go to HELL
[ Author: seiyu | Posted: May 17, 2001 9:10 AM ]

Well, it doesn't matter if NTV ban US baseball. Remember, there are other choices i.e. NHK, TBS, FUJI, TV-ASAHI, TVTOKYO, and other cable and satellite broadcast and none of them are affiliated to any ProYakyu teams. They will have a field day if NTV blackballs Major League. Its just another dum idea by Watanabe (Giants owner).
Wait til Matsui jumps over to the majors in few years. I can't wait to see Watanabe's reaction then. Watanabe is like the old faction-oriented LDP politician. We need someone like Mr. Koizumi in Pro-Yakyu.
Re:Giants go to HELL
[ Author: moto-vfr400r1 | Posted: May 17, 2001 1:09 PM ]

More reason to hate the Giants!
Re:Giants go to HELL
[ Author: moto-dynamitedasen | Posted: May 19, 2001 3:08 AM ]

Kutabare kyojin! densha ga komukara hayo kaere!
TV Connections
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 22, 2001 1:17 PM | YBS Fan ]

Actually, Fuji-Telebi is part of the Sankei Group, and they have a large invested interest in the Yakult Swallows.  Does anybody remember the Sankei Atoms?

This is the reason that Giant vs. Yakult games at Jingu are most often shown on Fuji-TV.  However, Fuji does sell the rights to the games to other channels on occasion.

Fuji also sucking up to Giants
[ Author: seiyu | Posted: May 23, 2001 3:32 AM ]

If thats the case, Fuji TV is doing a bad job because all I see in Fuji-TV news in New York (they broadcast evening news with Ms. Ando Yuuko)
is Giants news. Especially Nagashima "the god" is on almost every night. I was just telling my friend in NY that Nagashima Family is almost like "Kennedy Clan" in terms of the popularity.
Fuji and the Giants
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 23, 2001 4:37 AM | YBS Fan ]

Of course you're right, Hosono-san.  Fuji-Telebi wants the ratings, so they cover the Giants very well.  They have the rights to all Swallows' home games, yet they only show the Swallows vs. Giants' games.  (Well, not only, but the non-Giant matchups they show are far between and never extended beyond the allotted time.)

One of my major complaints with the "mainstream" press (TV and newspaper) is that they perpetuate the Giants' "thing."  Sure, they cover the happenings of other teams, but they cover the Giants when nothing happens!

Re:Fuji and the Giants
[ Author: moto-vfr400r1 | Posted: May 23, 2001 5:49 PM ]

Another problem that I personally have, folks, is I find it hard to watch a Kyojin game because the announcers and commentators will talk of the Kyojin and not BASEBALL. This is not unique to just one TV channel, all channels do this. It is sickening.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.