Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Pa-League Post Season Changes for 2006

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Pa-League Post Season Changes for 2006
The Pacific League has decided on three changes to the way post season is handled based on feedback from fans (that means you guys!). The changes are:
  1. The team who finishes in first place during the regular season gets a 1 game advantage in Stage Two regardless (it was only if they finished 5 games above the challenger).

2. The home field will for the Second Stage will be played at the team's stadium who finished higher in the standings for the first two games, at the team's stadium who finished lower in the standings for the second two games (if necessary) (it was all games at the upper team's stadium).

3. Even if two teams finish the season with the same winning percentage in first place, the First Stage will go on (Stage One would have been skipped up until now). However, the playoff winner does not change the mode by which the league victor is decided.
I'm not 100% sure about the translation of that last sentence. I could also translate that as saying that the mode remains the same as it has been for the last two years, this not changing anything. But I think I interpretted it right (although I think that it should have been a fourth point, not part of the third).

Source: Nikkan Sports (paper edition).
Comments
Re: Pa-League Post Season Changes for 2006
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Nov 21, 2005 10:04 AM | HT Fan ]

- The team who finishes in first place during the regular season gets a 1 game advantage in Stage Two regardless...

Well, I certainly think this is a retrograde step. I thought the one-game advantage setup was one of the niftiest features of the playoff system, as it reduced the number of meaningless games towards the end of the season.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 21, 2005 12:11 PM | YBS Fan ]

Not to put words in his mouth, but I believe that one of the points Christopher was making was that it reduced the incentive to finish in first. Finishing within five games up until now has been good enough. I think that this is the reasoning behind this change - to make finishing in first worth more.

Personally, I agree with you , Mijow-san. That narrow five game gap extends the importance of games by five for both the first and second place teams. That could be a whole week more of meaningful games for the top two clubs. And if the third place team weren't so far away, it would extend their hopes as well.
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Nov 21, 2005 4:25 PM | SL Fan ]

I suppose there's one less arbitrary element in the playoff picture, now that the five game lead requirement is gone. But I suspect that it probably had a lot to do with Softbank's sour grapes and its political power within the PL. Two seasons is rather too few to determine what's really working and what's not in a complex system like this.
[ Author: himself | Posted: Nov 21, 2005 11:36 PM | FSH Fan ]

I'm far from satisfied with the fact that the playoffs still exist. I suppose this system is better than the ones used in the first two years, but it leaves a lot to be desired.

I don't know why the PL still wants to give the team in third-place a chance to win the pennant. It's just way beyond me. This system does give more incentive to finish in first place than the previous systems, but I still believe that the leagues should expand before we can even talk about the playoffs.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.