Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Orix Acquires Pitcher Tom Davey

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Orix Acquires Pitcher Tom Davey
On December 5th the Orix Buffaloes announced the signing of former Hiroshima Carp pitcher Tom Davey. Davey commented, "Soon after I was released by Hiroshima, I was very honored to receive an offer from Orix. Kobe is a town that I like, and I'm really excited that I can continue playing in Japan." He will receive $300,000 for one year. [Original article from Nikkan Sports (in Japanese)]
Comments
Re: Orix Acquires Pitcher Tom Davey
[ Author: Guest: Dylan | Posted: Dec 5, 2005 9:27 PM ]

Good for Orix. Davey is a good pitcher. I couldn't understand why Hiroshima let him go. Orix lost Powell, Beirne, Parra, Stewart, Garcia and Simon and needed to stop the bleeding. Davey was solid last year. Orix offered Powell 3 million dollars and are paying Davey $300,000. Is Powell that much better? I don't think so. Next Jason Grabowski and Kazuhiro Kiyohara. Good job Orix.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 6, 2005 3:46 AM ]

Great signing for Orix. To get such a quality starter at such a low price. If Davey can be healthy for even most of the year it will be a steal!
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Dec 8, 2005 4:12 PM ]

The question for Tom is, will he be able to chew up innings like Powell did? So now they have Kawagoe, Davey, and pray that Mitsuhara continues to develop. There is also talk of turning Kazuo Yamaguchi into a starter, but a guy like him with a history of shoulder injuries and control problems isn't a very good candidate for that role.

There is something going on over at Orix, though. It looks like players can't wait to leave there. Look at Karim Garcia. No way he gets a million bucks from an MLB team. Brumbaugh more or less has to stay because he has no market value right now.
[ Author: Guest: happy orix fan | Posted: Dec 9, 2005 4:06 AM ]

Will Davey eat up innings like Powell? Probabaly not, but will you get a guy who will give you quality start after quality start? Yes.

I looked at his numbers in Hiroshima and he just went out game after game and threw 6-8 innings of 3 runs or less for almost all of his starts. Also, he pitched in the worst and smallest park in Japan at hiroshima and still had a sub 3 ERA. How many pitchers had over 100 inings last year and under a 3 ERA? Very impressive, especially coming off of shoulder surgery.

It looks as if he has regained his form of 2 years ago. I was surprised that he wasn't offered back by the pitching poor Carp. I think Powell is the top foreign free agent pitcher, but I think Orix got a bargain in that they only spent a reported $300,000 on Davey compared to a couple million for Powell. I think this will be a great signing for Orix. This should free up money for more free agent signings. Look for davey to win 12-15 games and vault Orix into the playoffs.

It will also be interesting to see if Kiyo signs with Orix. Not sure if you remember, but there is bad blood between him and Davey.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.