Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Eagles Sign Fernandez

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Eagles Sign Fernandez
The Rakuten Eagles signed third baseman Jose Fernandez [Japan Ball], formely of the Chiba Lotte Marines and Seibu Lions. Fernandez signed a one year deal worth 200 million yen, with a 50 million yen signing bonus.

With the Lions last year, he batted .293 with 26 HR and 84 RBI [2005 Lions' Stats - Borisov's Pro Yakyu].
Comments
Re: Eagles Sign Fernandez
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Dec 14, 2005 10:14 AM | SL Fan ]

I'm not sure why Seibu didn't re-sign him, but this is good for Rakuten to have a proven NPB player.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Dec 14, 2005 6:19 PM | CLM Fan ]

Nakamura is a better choice to get better attendance. As decent as Fernandez batted, Japanese fans just don't pay to watch foreigners. Seibu really needs something to help the poor attendance, and Nakamura could help turn that around.
[ Author: Guest: Shinigami | Posted: Dec 14, 2005 5:26 PM ]

Seibu wanted Okawari Nakamura to play full time at third base, so they dropped Hernandez.
[ Author: KevvyG | Posted: Dec 14, 2005 10:38 PM | SL Fan ]

Does this mean Seibu are in the market for another foreign player?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Dec 15, 2005 12:41 AM ]

Maybe, but not at third base, as Nakamura had a good year. They just posted Mori to Tampa Bay so they might go after a pitcher.
[ Author: Guest: uteintokyo | Posted: Dec 16, 2005 1:57 PM ]

I am sad, Jose was my neighbor and a great neighbor at that. Very sociable guy and always had a smile on his face. Given that he is back in the States for the off-season, this is the first time I am hearing about the move. I will definitely miss him as a neighbor.

As per his baseball skills, he had a better season than Caberra. In fact, given Caberra's last two sub-par seasons, I was quite surprised at the amount of money the Lions gave Caberra. Personally, they should have moved Fernandez over to first (he could learn the position quite quickly) and let Caberra go or force him to sign for less. That would have saved a lot of payroll money and, in my opinion, the Lions would have probably gotten better all-around batting production out of Fernandez than they will out of Caberra. Unfortunately though, like the previous post mentioned, it comes down to filling the stadium seats, and given Alex's home run chase in 2002, he is a much larger draw than Fernandez.

Go Rakuten!
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Dec 16, 2005 2:08 PM ]

- In fact, given Caberra's last two sub-par seasons

How was this year a sub-par season for Cabrera? He had a .300 average, 36 HR, 92 RBI, a .613 slugging percentage, a .407 on-base percentage, and a 1.013 OPS. [Player Page]
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.