Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Yakult Interested in Kaz Ishii

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Yakult Interested in Kaz Ishii
The Yakult Swallows said they are interested in re-acquiring former Swallow Kazuhisa Ishii, club president Yoshikazu Tagiku said Monday. Tagiku said he plans on having player-manager Atsuya Furuta hold talks with Ishii soon.

Ishii has voiced his intention to sign with a team that will use him in the starting rotation, either NPB or the major leagues. Tagiku said "We're ready to open talks with Ishii. I'll leave it up to Furuta."

The Mets declined Ishii's 2006 option on November 15th, making Ishii a free agent. Ishii went 3-9 with a 5.04 ERA last year with the Mets. During his MLB career he had a 39-34 career record with a 4.44 ERA with the Dodgers and Mets. In his earlier NPB career, Ishii had a career 78-46 record with a 3.48 ERA and 1,277 strikeouts over 10 seasons.

[Japan Ball Article] [NPB Player Page] [Baseball-Reference Player Page]
Comments
Re: Yakult Interested in Kaz Ishii
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Dec 20, 2005 3:25 PM | YAK Fan ]

It should be noted that Rakuten (Katsuya Nomura) has been open as well about acquiring Ishii. A report from Sponichi Annex stated that Nomura offered the Opening Day spot to Ishii if he signs with Rakuten. However, that same report also flashed back to the time when Ishii was posted by Yakult, with some rather "harsh" parting words from Nomura (somewhere along the lines of "go off and be selfish").
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Dec 22, 2005 2:04 AM ]

The Nippon Ham Fighters have also mentioned their interest in Kazuhisa Ishii. They said that an addition of Ishii would help their weak bullpen, and they would make a more attractive offer than any of the other teams seeking his services. [Full Japan Ball Article]
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 22, 2005 10:02 AM ]

I see a second coming of Daimajin Sasaki's return to NPB. Anyone else?
[ Author: Guest: sole | Posted: Dec 22, 2005 3:00 PM ]

Now I wouldn't say Ishii is going to be like Sasaki if he were to come back, because he wouldn't be returning under false preteneses as Damijin did. I mean, Ishii is looking for a job were can be of some use. I think he could help the Royals if they had an interest in him. A change in leagues might do the trick.
[ Author: Guest: buymeabeer | Posted: Dec 22, 2005 1:49 PM ]

- that same report also flashed back to the time when Ishii was posted by Yakult, with some rather "harsh" parting words from Nomura (somewhere along the lines of "go off and be
> selfish").

It should also be noted that Nomura has a history of hating everything that isn't Japanese, including his step-son. If anyone has Don's number, give it to me so I can go work for him and make Nomura even angrier. I might just do it voluntarily.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Dec 22, 2005 2:30 PM ]

- ... (go off and be selfish).

Sounds like sour grapes.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 23, 2005 5:55 AM ]

I heard Ishii is talking to the Mariners.
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Dec 24, 2005 3:49 AM ]

There hasn't been anything that I've seen here in Seattle to indicate that the M's would take on Ishii.

There are a couple of ominous signs for Ishii, though:
  1. He no longer throws hard, as he has backed off of his fastball in an attempt to throw more strikes with it.
  2. The record of ex-MLB Japanese players is not good. Irabu had one kind of okay season at Hanshin and Shinjo was pretty good in 2004, but Irabu is now gone and Shinjo's numbers stunk this past season. Then you have Satoru Komiyama (mop up man at Lotte), Masao Kida (now back at Yakult, but his most recent stint with Orix wasn't that hot), Katsuhiro Maeda, Masato Yoshii, and I will throw in Makoto Suzuki even though he never played in Japan before signing with Seattle as a teenager. And yeah, Sasaki.
Consequently, one report that had Ishii being offered around $4.5 million to return to one of the teams was astounding, especially given his MLB track record. I have a bad feeling about this.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Dec 24, 2005 5:57 AM ]

Ishii's agent, Joe Urbon made contact with the Rockies shortly after the Mets released Ishii. [MLB.com Story]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Dec 24, 2005 8:57 AM ]

Right now with Ishii, I don't see him going to Seattle. Seattle has signed Washburn, Everett, Lawton, and Johjima. They pretty much spent their off-season budget.

A move to a small market team like the Rockies or Royals would be the best option for Ishii now, in my opinion. Though, I haven't seen anything definite on it, Ishii's agent Joe Urbon did call the Rockies who are always pitching desperate.

About Ishii walking way too many people, he did so in Japan but got away with it. He did it in his first three years in the majors, too. Furthermore, Ishii's control doesn't seem to be where it once used to be, which lead to his trouble this year with the Mets.

- The record of ex-MLB Japanese players is not good. Irabu had one kind of okay season at Hanshin and Shinjo was pretty good in 2004, but Irabu is now gone and Shinjo's numbers stunk this past season. Then you have Satoru Komiyama (mop up man at Lotte), Masao Kida (now back at Yakult, but his most recent stint with Orix wasn't that hot), Katsuhiro Maeda, Masato Yoshii, and I will throw in Makoto Suzuki even though he never played in Japan before signing with Seattle as a teenager. And yeah, Sasaki.

Shinjo had a hand injury throughout this year which bothered him. That helped him struggle partly this year. Kida since recovering from his car accident with the Dodgers and has put together a chain of good years in AAA Las Vegas and AAA Tacoma, and he was selected to this year PCL's All Star squad, so it might be different for Kida. We'll find out in 2006. Yoshii was OK this year, but was terrible in 2003-04, so I'll wait before I see what he does in '06, though Yoshii had a pretty good year in my opinion. Mac Suzuki never has been efficent, so I'll agree there, and Sasaki had elbow surgery and was injured in his last season with Seattle in 2003.
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Dec 24, 2005 6:25 PM ]

Kaz Ishii's agent is talking with Mariners [Seattle PI].
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Dec 31, 2005 8:50 AM ]

Ishii said he will choose his new team around January 20th. [Full Japan Ball Article]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 7, 2006 1:40 AM ]

As mentioned earlier above, Rakuten has mentioned an interest in Kazuhisa Ishii. According to club president Toru Shimada, "The whole organzation wants him. We have a large enough budget."

Yakult (Ishii's former NPB team), Nippon Ham, Rakuten, the Colorado Rockies, and Seattle Mariners lead the teams interested in Ishii. Some NPB teams have been rumored to be willing to pay Ishii up to $4.5 million (USD).

[Full Japan Ball Article]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 11, 2006 1:24 AM ]

Yakult has offered a two-year deal to Kazuhisa Ishii. Ishii felt the Swallows were very keen on him and will keep in mind that the Swallows gave him the chance to play in the majors. [Full Japan Ball Article]
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.