Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Larocca is a Swallow

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Larocca is a Swallow
Glad they updated second base, but errors are sure gonna pile up.
Comments
Re: Larocca is a Swallow
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Dec 21, 2005 11:20 PM | YBS Fan ]

LaRocca was a very good fielding in in 2004, I wonder what happened in 2005. [LaRocca's Player Page]
Re: Larocca is a Swallow
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Dec 22, 2005 2:02 AM ]

LaRocca will make $750,000 (USD) next year, along with peformance related bonuses. [Full Japan Ball Story]
Re: LaRocca is a Swallow
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Dec 22, 2005 9:38 AM | YAK Fan ]

This Rocks! Maybe now the team will have some production at second instead of platooning Dobashi and Shiroishi. The only thing I'm wondering is where LaRocca will bat in the lineup? Will Furuta put him before or after Ramirez? I'd like to see the lineup as:

Aoki
Miyamoto
LaRocca
Ramirez
Iwamura
Furuta
Riggs
Suzuki
Pitcher

The only question will be if LaRocca (and the pitching staff) can remain healthy. If they can, I can see 5 pitchers winning 10+ games, and the Swallows making a legitimate run at the CL pennant.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 23, 2005 5:28 AM ]

That is a really solid offensive lineup!
[ Author: Jen Wei | Posted: Dec 26, 2005 1:16 AM | HNHF Fan ]

Especially the 3, 4, 5 batters! Every year, each of them also hit more than 30 home runs.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 26, 2005 9:15 PM ]

Great pickup by the Swallows, especially at a great price. I would be skeptical if he were going to any other team, but he should be able to put up similar power numbers at the small confines of Jingu as well.

The offense looks like it will be the best in many years, although the same cannot be said of the defense, which will be exceptionally weak. Suzuki at first and LaRocca at second are liabilities, and Ramirez and Riggs in the outfield aren't great either.

The Swallows could decide not to play Suzuki much and go for a starting lineup with a little more defense by putting LaRocca at first, Riggs in right field, and Shiroishi / Dobashi at second. They could also put Manaka in right field, Riggs at first (where he's quite good), and leave LaRocca at second base, an option that would strengthen the outfield defense quite a bit.

On another note, I read somewhere that the Swallows have hung onto both Guttormson and Gonzalez. It's a pretty sure bet that the three gaijin position players will be with the top roster, so it will be interesting to see what the Swallows will do with the suketto pitchers. Right now I would assume that Fujii, Ishikawa, Tateyama, and Guttormson have secured themselves a rotation spot. A healthy Kawashima, Gonzalez, and possibly Takai will likely compete for the other 2 spots. If Kazuhisa Ishii is signed on with the Swallows, he would also likely be part of the rotation. The Swallows already have a solid bullpen with Kawabata, Yoshikawa, Igarashii, and Ishii.
[ Author: Jen Wei | Posted: Dec 28, 2005 2:47 AM | HNHF Fan ]

If next season Iwamura, Aoki, Riggs, Ramirez, and LaRocca can keep great then we will not need to worry about their scoring problem. And if Iwamura can lower his strike outs, then will be more great!
[ Author: Guest: buffalo | Posted: Feb 14, 2006 8:32 AM ]

Greg says he is in great shape and can't wait to play for the Swallows. I really think he is going to make the Carp eat crow for not keeping him. The Swallows need to hit him third. He is one of the best contact line drive hitters in Japan. Go Swallows!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.