Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Battle of the Champions

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Battle of the Champions
The Baseball Prospectus series "Battle of the Champions: Chicago White Sox vs. Chiba Lotte Marines" kicks off today with a series preview. Many people at this site have helped make this series possible and their names are cited in the article, which can be read here.

We'll be running a game per day starting tomorrow. Enjoy!

Dave Haller

BP
Comments
Re: Battle of the Champions
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Jan 6, 2006 9:36 AM | HT Fan ]

It appears the Marines are able to beat up their opponents in the virtual world as well. [Baseball Prospectus]

Game 1: Marines 10 White Sox 1.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 6, 2006 2:58 PM | YBS Fan ]

Wow! That really does look like a replay of the Nippon Series. A few small innings with one really big one. The "Marine-gun offense" strikes again. And Watanabe's submarine motion really kept the Sox off balance while throwing strikes close to 70% of the time.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 7, 2006 12:37 AM ]

So far, this is a really interesting simulation of a proposed Chiba Lotte Marines - Chicago White Sox matchup. The Marines, so far, are also beating up the White Sox, like they did the Tigers.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Jan 7, 2006 7:25 AM | HT Fan ]

Game 2 [Baseball Prospectus]

White Sox 4 Marines 3

Iguchi hits a sayonara grand slam in the 9th to tie the series at one apiece.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Jan 7, 2006 10:51 AM | NIP Fan ]

Kobayashi imploding with the Marines holding a 4-1 lead in the 9th? Not like we've seen that before either.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Jan 7, 2006 10:21 PM | HT Fan ]

Yes, sorry, that should have been White Sox 5 Marines 4.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Jan 8, 2006 5:01 PM ]

You guys are too funny.
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Jan 10, 2006 3:40 PM | SL Fan ]

I thought Bobby would've pulled starter Kobayashi after he gave up the double in the 9th, instead of letting him pitch until the bases were loaded, especially with only a 3 run lead. But, I haven't seen many Marines games, so he would do this? (Even though he is tagged to ride his starters.)

Very entertaining, anyways.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 13, 2006 4:31 PM | YBS Fan ]

The Marines dropped the final three games at Chiba Marine Stadium. Read all about:

Game 3: Chicago 7 - 6 Lotte
Game 4: Chicago 12 - 4 Lotte
Game 5: Chicago 5 - 2 Lotte

My impression of Serafini during the season was a little different than what happened in Game 3. What I'd seen of Serafini gave me the impression that he'd get himself into and out of a lot of jams without giving up too many runs, if any at all. It was like he pitched better with runners on base, and didn't come undone. Sure, if you get yourself into enough jams, some runners are going to score, but I wouldn't have expected him to pitch so well and then suddenly self destruct like that. But then, the sample size of what I saw of him was a bit too small to say anything for sure.
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Jan 13, 2006 5:33 PM | SL Fan ]

Bobby yet again sticking with Yabuta and coming back with him in the 8th after he let in a couple of runs in the 7th is surprising. Maybe his "riding pitchers" value was set too high. Can't imagine any manager in the playoffs riding their pitchers unnecessarily when there are lots of bullpen options.

Anyways, the Marines put up a good fight in the simulated series with games that could've gone either way. Would be interesting to see the results of past and future Battle of Champions as well.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.