Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Chiba Releases Lee

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Chiba Releases Lee
The Chiba Lotte Marines released first baseman/designated hitter Seung Yeop Lee. The Marines and Lee failed to reach an agreement in salary negotiations. The Marines offered Lee an unchanged one year, 250 million (2.5-oku) yen contract.

Lee batted .260 with a team high 30 HRs and 82 RBIs. Lee said a move to the major leagues might be in mind.

[Full Japan Ball Story]
Comments
Re: Chiba Releases Lee
[ Author: Guest: Xysma | Posted: Jan 16, 2006 4:06 AM ]

Sounds like Lee will be a Giant. [Full TMC Net Article - after ad page]

If he comes to the States, I could see the Seattle Mariners being intrigued. The M's are currently searching for a left-handed bat for the bench and had been in negotiations with first baseman Scott Hatteberg. With contract details hitting a snag, the M's might offer Lee the same contract they had proposed to Hatteberg. I know the M's had interest in him before (Lee and his wife visited Seattle and Safeco field in 2003), but does Lee still have interest in Seattle? Would Lee want to come to Seattle as a bench player or even as a Tacoma Rainier? I believe he wants to start, which will lead him to signing with Yomiuri.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 16, 2006 9:54 AM ]

It looks like Lee will go to the Giants and compete with newcomer Joe Dillon at first, and might also play in the outfield.

As for the major league option, I doubt it at this moment. Seattle would most likely sign him as a bench player (though Lee could play 1B/OF/and DH). Though we'll see how it goes soon, I see Lee signing with Yomiuri and fighting for time. In 2003, Lee talked to Los Angeles and Seattle, and LA is no where interested in Lee with Garciappara at first.
[ Author: Sole_SL | Posted: Jan 16, 2006 11:35 AM | SL Fan ]

It would be nice to see Lee make the jump to MLB and play for a team like Seattle. Though I don't think he'll be crossing over anytime, and hopefully some other teams beside the YG put some interest in him.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jan 16, 2006 1:22 PM ]

Lee signed only one year. He hopes that he may soon as go to MLB.
[ Author: Guest: scott | Posted: Jan 18, 2006 10:11 PM ]

Why would any MLB club have interest in Lee? Hitting 30 home runs is respectable, but he wasn't even in the top 10 in that category. A .260 batting average isn't all that impressive either. I'd say Lee's stock has only dropped since coming to the Japan league.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Jan 19, 2006 5:27 PM | HAN Fan ]

Jim Allen's Hot Corner discusses Lee and makes several good points.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.