Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Roberto Petagine Signed to Minor League Contract

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Roberto Petagine Signed to Minor League Contract
The Seattle Mariners have signed Roberto Petagine to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training. I have always liked him and hope he gets a real shot to make the team.
Comments
Re: Roberto Petagine Signed to Minor League Contract
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:48 AM | YAK Fan ]

Wow, to think that I might get to see him play in two different countries is pretty cool, if I can manage to get back home to Seattle for vacation. I remember seeing him hit some monster home runs at Jingu Stadium.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Feb 22, 2006 9:15 AM | CLM Fan ]

Rock! Now I get to see Ichiro, Johjima, and hopefully Petagine.
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Feb 22, 2006 11:04 AM | SL Fan ]

Who's the Mariners' DH? Petagine might get a chance if some injury bugs hit Seattle.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Feb 22, 2006 2:30 PM | HAN Fan ]

Carl Everett or Raul Ibanez.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Feb 23, 2006 3:18 AM ]

- Carl Everett or Raul Ibanez.

Everett is a little injury prone but he is great in all aspects of hitting the ball and a real veteran. Ibanez is good, too. I doubt if Petagine will get a lot of playing time, if any at all, as long as Everett is healthy.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Feb 23, 2006 10:37 AM | NIP Fan ]

I think it's one of the best signings the Mariners made during this off-season, honestly. Either his bat will be huge for the Tacoma Rainiers this year, or he'll be a valuable lefty bench guy for the Mariners. There's just no downside here; if neither of those come to pass, then it's still just a minor league contract. I hope Peta makes the team, though.

(Would it be mean to say that I hope Carl Everett gets injured? Heh.)
[ Author: The Great Oni | Posted: Feb 24, 2006 4:30 PM | HT Fan ]

As a Mariners fan it's not mean at all. For a DH he performed well below average last year. He'll only hit against righties, and he's got a reputation as a locker room cancer. It was a bad signing, especially with his above mentioned injury proneness. Peta, even if he never sees one at bat in the Majors this season, is a better signing.
[ Author: Guest: JOE KALESNIK | Posted: Feb 25, 2006 6:01 AM ]

I agree. He did well with the Red Sox farm club. Then when he was called up, he started out good but then faded like a wax job on a car. He also told the Red Sox to give him a MLB contract or release him, this was during the pennant chase in the last few weeks of the season. They cut him like a fish line.

His wife seems to talk for him a lot. Papi Ortiz was a little mad about some comments Roberto made to Spanish TV about "conditions of the Red Sox team."

But it's a minor league contract, and that AAA league is not as strong as the International AAA league. He could very well put up some big, big numbers.
[ Author: Guest: Rob | Posted: Jul 16, 2006 12:44 AM ]

As an update to this thread, Petagine did make the Mariners out of spring training, but was little used. Unfortunately, he was designated for assignment last week, effectively taking him off the Mariners' 40 man roster.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.