Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Yokohama: Trade Everyone

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Yokohama: Trade Everyone
As the second half of the season was getting underway Friday, Yokohama's board of directors got together and had an idea session on what to do with their last place BayStars. With the team on pace for 102 losses (the record for most losses in a season is held by the 1961 Kintetsu Buffaloe (yes, singular) at 103 losses, 36 wins, and 1 tie), there really wasn't much good to say about the current state of the team. "Replace all of the players," "The players don't feel that their spots are in danger," "Players under multi-year contracts should also be thought of as tradable," and other thoughts were expressed.

When discussing what they needed, "a closer," "a player to take leadership," "a player to come into bloom" were brought up. This is pretty much what all the teams are looking for (except Yakult has a closer).

Personally, I feel that a number of players have "come into bloom." Furuki has really come into his own, Kinjyoh has returned to his Rookie of the Year form, Tamura and Nakamura have both shown great promise as replacement players while regulars have been out. However, it was said, "focusing on rookies and trading for new blood will be like a post, whereas saying we'll trade all the players will reenforce [our resolve]." It doesn't look like the powers-that-be are interested in a home grown transfusion. They want the players to know that everyone is expendable. Especially those with high salaries, multi-year contracts or not.

Before the Friday night game against the Giants, this was all communicated to Yamashita-kantoku. Wether that had any effect on the dramatic 11th inning sayonara grand slam by pinch hitter Odajima or not, I don't know. (It was Yokohama's first sayonara victory of the season.)

In other news, there are rumors that the BayStars' front office is interested in Shinjo's recent release from the Mets. They say that they're interested in luring him to Yokohama, but will not play money games with other teams. The Giants (Watanabe-owner), who have money to burn, have also expressed interest in bringing Shinjo back to Japan to play for them.
Comments
Interest in Shinjo
[ Author: weirdgaijin | Posted: Jul 21, 2003 1:34 PM ]

- In other news, there are rumors that the BayStars' front office is interested in Shinjo's recent release from the Mets. They say that they're interested in luring him to Yokohama, but will not play money games with other teams. The Giants (Watanabe-owner), who have money to burn, have also expressed interest in bringing Shinjo back to Japan to play for them.

I've heard rumors a while back about Shinjo playing for Yokohama. Something about better "night life" there. If the BayStars are interested in him, I'm sure he won't hesitate to sign with the team.

If he signs with the Giants, it will be the end of him.
Re: Yokohama: Trade Everyone
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Jul 24, 2003 7:59 AM | HT Fan ]

You have to wonder what kind of trade value this team would have.

I actually thought the 'Stars would be more competitive than this. Kinjyo has played well this year, Murata and Furuki have shown some power, and Woods has been a nice addition. So that's four decent bats in the lineup, after not having any last season, really.

I looked at the team's stats, and the strikeout totals are pretty shocking. I think it would be better to have Yamashita-kantoku preach some patience at plate, than to sign Shinjo.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jul 24, 2003 12:07 PM ]

PLNara wrote:

- I looked at the team's stats, and the strikeout totals are pretty shocking. I think it would be better to have Yamashita-kantoku preach some patience at plate, than to sign Shinjo.

While I agree the 'Stars' offense is poor, it isn't nearly as poor as the defensive side of the equation. They're not the worst offense in their league, and while they're close to it, at least several other teams are basically in their range. That would be even more evident once one allows for the fact the PL teams have the DH to boost their offenses, while a CL team like the 'Stars don't.

As for the defensive side, only the pitiful Blue Wave are within 30 runs of the 'Stars. There, the fact is the Wave's pitchers have to face a DH rather than pitchers or pinch hitters. The 'Stars are bad on both sides of the ball, but the truth is, they're worse on the defensive side. In fact, it's clear they're the worst in NPB in that area. By contrast the offense is bad, but not the worst.

Jim Albright
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Jul 24, 2003 11:45 PM | HT Fan ]

Good points, Jim. I didn't realise that the 'Stars have scored more runs than Hiroshima. Yokohama's got some power, it's too bad they don't get on base more. I knew the pitching was bad, but I have to admit that I hadn't compared that to the other teams either. Every time I've seen Domingo pitch this year, he's been shellaced.

As bad as they've been, I think they've suffered some bad luck as well. They must have played well enough to win more than once against Hanshin.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Jul 25, 2003 10:42 AM ]

PLNara wrote:

- As bad as they've been, I think they've suffered some bad luck as well. They must have played well enough to win more than once against Hanshin.

True enough. Using the "pythagorean theorem" of the relation of runs scored and allowed to wins, the 'Stars are a full 5.8 wins below their expectation. That would suggest that, absent injury, things will start to even out on the luck end, and they'll fall short of 100 losses.

Jim Albright
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jul 25, 2003 12:27 AM | YBS Fan ]

The 7th, 8th, and 9th innings have been trouble for Yokohama all season. Looking back at 1998, they came back from all kinds of deficits in those three innings, knowing that they could hold on with the Daimajin in the pen.

Now, though, it doesn't matter how big a lead they have. Their pitchers just can't get through the 7th, 8th, and 9th innings. Miura, Holt, Domingo, all have thrown complete games. Yet I'm pretty sure that some of them weren't wins. I know that each had the lead until the 7th, 8th, and 9th inning on several of their non-complete games just to give up a home run when victory was so close at hand. I've watched the same scene over and over this season. The image is burned into my eyes. The shutout, no matter how close, is ever so elusive.

Looking at the standings, you can see that the number of runners left on base is pretty low. That's a strong indication that, even with their high home run totals (currently second only to the Giants), their runs scored is a great deal lower than Hanshin (by over 100 runs). They had a stretch where, for something like 4 games, all of their runs were brought home on home runs - not a single RBI base hit. And a large majority of those home runs during that time were solo shots.

Albright-san is right, though. It's the pitching that's really letting the team down. Yokohama's 5.20 team ERA is second worse to Orix's 5.24. Giving up 489 runs (so far) while scoring 347 runs does not a pennant make. The Giants are second in runs given up in the Central League having given up 459 runs, but they've managed to score 438 runs with their 129 homers.

Should Yokohama have won some of those games against Hanshin? Yes. They were just one out away from breaking this thing. Then a walk and a two run home run, and the 'Stars manage to again snatch defeat from the clutches of victory.

Hanshin has the attitude that Yokohama had in 1998 - feeling like something will eventually happen to turn any game around. Yokohama now has the opposite feeling, that sneaky suspicion that something will happen to ruin it all - and it does. If you think you'll lose, you probably will. And it's hard to break a jinx like that.
[ Author: Guest: Suraj Rupani | Posted: Jul 25, 2003 1:01 PM ]

Luck may be a factor, but you also hit on a good point with the solo HRs, and lack of base runners. I admittedly haven't watched the 'Stars much this season, but what I have seen are a bunch of hacks.

I'm not a hitting expert, but you've gotta go up to the plate with a plan. The hitters in this line-up, though, especially Furuki and Murata, are up there without a plan, simply swinging for the fences. If you're as talented as Rhodes, for example, that's not a bad thing, since one run on one swing is better than a single, but these guys aren't good enough for that.

The hitting coaches need to teach them discipline, getting on base, and moving guys over. SLG without OBP is only half of the equation.
[ Author: morosuki | Posted: Jul 31, 2003 3:42 PM | YOK Fan ]

Got to agree that watching the 'Stars is painful to the eyes. One thing that I have noticed is a lack of concentration. Since these are professional ball players, they should know what is needed to be prepared for a game, both physically and mentally. But I cannot help but blame the coaching staff for not lighting the players' butts on fire.

The BayStars did get Galliard and hopefully he can be used as a closer next year. I am actually looking forward to the YB being in the "A" class.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.