Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Rhodes Surpasses Boomer, Nakamura Matches Komada

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Rhodes Surpasses Boomer, Nakamura Matches Komada
On August 23, 2003 at Osaka Dome Tuffy Rhodes and Nakamura Norihiro hit abekku home runs (home runs in the same game) for the fifth time this season.

For Rhodes, it was his 278th career home run here in Japan, pushing him over Boomer's 277 to rank him 2nd for foreign players behind Leron Lee (Leon's brother) who hit 285 during his long Japanese career. With 7 to go and 30 games remaining, Rhodes has a serious chance to match and surpass Lee.

Nakamura's home run was a grand slam to put the game out of reach in the bottom of the 7th. The grand slam was Nakamura's career 13th, matching "Grand Slam Otoko" Komada Norihiro for 3rd place in that category. Oh Sadaharu (15) and Fujii Yasuo (14) are the only two players ahead of him, now.
Comments
Nakamura
[ Author: Guest: George Steinbrennernot | Posted: Aug 24, 2003 11:31 PM ]

OK Michael, you brought up Norihiro Nakamura. Despite my name, I am really a New York Mets fan (ergo, I can't root for the Yomiuri Giants, but for the Hanshin Tigers). Nakamura-san's exploits in New York left a bad taste in my mouth.

The NY press reported that he backed out of a verbal (maybe even written contract) because he was insulted that the Mets leaked the story of his signing, against a verbal agreement before he could tell his own team, and that he could not work for such untrustworthy people as the Mets. In reality, MLB.com leaked the story, an independent entity, not the Mets, who had nothing to gain by doing so. Nakamura-san left town in a hurry and in a hummmphhh.

The NY press went on to say that he changed his mind because: (1) the $$$ were less than he thought, (2) a Japanese baseball figure appealed to his sense of patriotism not to go, (3) He did not want to share the media spotlight with Matsui-san, who he feared would overshadow him, and (4) he chickened out.

From the numbers he put up this season, I don't see it as a great loss. I understand the importance of trust, but I think the Mets were honorable (graciously letting him bow out of a commitment) and they really didn't leak the story, honoring Nakamura-san's wishes. The whole deal seems pretty lame to me on Nakamura-san's part. Others thought Nakamura-san's behavior was bizarre. What is the real deal, or at least the deal on your side of the Pacific?
Re: Nakamura
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Aug 25, 2003 10:41 AM ]

I'll save Michael the trouble of suggesting you should have searched the site -- you would have found this thread.

Jim Albright
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.