Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Yokohama Sweep Swallows - Hold Off 100 Losses

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Yokohama Sweep Swallows - Hold Off 100 Losses
For the first time this season, Yokohama has won three games in a row (September 15-17). Finally, they get past that three game hill that's blocked them all season long.

Rookie Murata hit his 23rd home run of the season, a shot that cleared the billboards in left-center, going out of Yokohama Stadium all together. Murata's home run totals have well surpasses past super-rookies Takahashi (1998 Giants - 19) and Nioka (1999 Giants - 18). Will he get any consideration for Rookie of the Year? Sa.

Nonetheless, the greatest point of this win is that it's Yokohama's 41st of the season (to 87 losses). With 140 games, they're now guaranteed to have just double digit losses. No new loss record this season. Yea!

Gambare, BayStars.
Comments
Re: Yokohama Sweep Swallows - Hold Off 100 Losses
[ Author: Guest: Suraj Rupani | Posted: Sep 18, 2003 5:16 PM ]

Only a true BayStars fan could find something positive to say about this team this year. Reminds me of myself talking about Hanshin over the past 18 years.

Regarding RoY, I'm afraid he may have a tough time getting past Kisanuki, as voters are definitely partial to Giants' hot-shots.
[ Author: Guest: tanbay | Posted: Sep 18, 2003 6:48 PM ]

Hi Westbaystars-san.

I'm a newcomer here and I'm an enthusiastic BayStars fan. For me (and for most of the BayStars fans), 2003 season was really tough. But recently, like the three game winning streak demonstrates, I think the BayStars are finding their method of winning. If this keeps on until the end of the season, I think it shows a good sign for the next year.

I was amazed with Murata's homerun! But regarding the rookie award, I think it's still difficult for Murata to win it because his rival, Kisanuki, is still way ahead, and Nagakawa is also doing good as a candidate. However, I do wish for Murata to win the Rookie of the Year. (Also, I expect Furuki to be stimulated by Murata's development.)
[ Author: Guest: Jen Wei | Posted: Sep 20, 2003 6:58 PM ]

Maybe Shinjo will come to Yokohama next season. He has good defensive skills and maybe will make his batting positive like in the past.
[ Author: morosuki | Posted: Sep 25, 2003 3:20 PM | YOK Fan ]

I was just as elated that the BayStars dodged the century mark. They have been looking good as of late and let's hope it carries over into the next year.

Would be nice to see Murata as the ROY. He started the season out banging homers but he was also striking out many times. He has been much more patient ever since his return from his SeaRex assignment, but he still reaches for that fading outside curve. Hopefully he'll learn to lay off it.
[ Author: Jen Wei | Posted: Sep 26, 2003 11:46 PM | HNHF Fan ]

Yokohama has taken their second time 3 straight win in the series in Hiroshima - so I think Yokohama has become better in final part of the season.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.