Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Yoshii Will Play in Dominican

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Yoshii Will Play in Dominican
Former Kintetsu Buffaloe and Yakult Swallow right-hander Masato Yoshii just signed with Estrellas Orientales (Stars East) in the Dominican Winter League. The Dominican season begins Friday, October 31.

Yoshii is the first Japanese player to sign for Dominican winter ball. He'll arrive to Santo Domingo next Satuarday and will begin training with Estrellas immediately.

The Estrellas play in San Pedro de Macoris, the most famous city in baseball. The Hiroshima Toyo Carp Academy, the only academy from Japan in the Dominican, is in San Pedro de Macoris.

Yoshii was signed by Ralph Avila, general manager of Estrellas. Avila is vice-president for the Los Angeles Dodgers, too. Maybe, the Dodgers will have an invitation for spring training for Yoshii.

El derecho Masato Yoshii fue firmado por las Estrellas Orientales del beisbol invernal dominicano. Yoshii sera el primer japones que juega en la liga dominicana. Yoshii llegara a Republica Dominicana el sabado y se integrara a los entrenamientos de las Estrellas inmediatamente.

Las Estrellas juegan en San Pedro de Macoris, la ciudad mas famosa del beisbol y sede de la academia de Hiroshima Toyo Carp, la
Comments
Re: Yoshii Will Play in Dominican
[ Author: Guest: Stewart | Posted: Nov 2, 2003 11:01 AM ]

Donde estas stats por Yoshii? Anyone know where I can find updated daily stats for Dominican Republic winter league?
[ Author: Guest: Enrique Rojas | Posted: Nov 3, 2003 1:50 AM ]

You can find the Dominican league stats at beisboldominicano.com. Besides Masato Yoshii, Estrellas Orientales have another Japanese pitcher named Takahito Nomura and an American that pitched in Japan, Brian Malette.

[Admin: When checking the site on Mozilla, I got the plain text of the HTML content, suggesting that the server is not configured properly. The HTTP headers are not returning the proper MIME type for .asp pages.]
[ Author: Guest: Enrique Rojas | Posted: Nov 4, 2003 10:40 AM ]

In his debut in the Dominican Winter League last Sunday, Masato Yoshii was hit hard. Yoshii, pitching in relief, worked 3 and 2/3rd innings, allowing 4 hits, 3 earned runs, with 4 strike outs and giving up no walks against Toros del Este.

Yoshii's next start may be next Friday for Estrellas Orientales.

The other Estrellas Japanese pitcher, Takahito Nomura, arrived the Monday to the Dominican Republic.

En su debut en la Liga Dominicana, el domingo, el derecho Masato Yoshii fue duramente bateado por los Toros del Este. Yoshii permiti

[ Author: gringolombian | Posted: Nov 9, 2003 10:00 AM ]

Good for Yoshii and for baseball. Good for Yoshii because he gets to pitch in one of the best baseball leagues on the planet. Good for baseball because this way professional leagues in South America will be more popular, and these leagues deserve it. I'm not saying Latino players in MLB or NPB aren't recognized enough, what I mean is that the professional leagues in South America should be noticed more often, because that's where the great Latinos in the majors come from.

[P.D: Enrique,
Dominican Update
[ Author: Guest: Enrique Rojas | Posted: Nov 10, 2003 3:26 AM ]

The tryouts in the Dominican Republic are not addressed in press. Everyday, all Major League organizations have a lot tryouts. If you have baseball player friends and they want show their talents to scouts, just travel to the Dominican and show to all MLB organizations.

Now, the report about the Japanese pitchers in the Dominican Winter League.

Masato Yoshii of the Estrellas Orientales worked two good innings againt Tigres del Licey last Friday. Yoshii started but the rain stopped the game for 35 minutes in third inning. He did not come back after the rain delay. For the season, Yoshii has a 0-0 record with a 4.76 ERA in two games, one start. In 5.2 innings, Yoshii has given up 5 hits, 3 runs, and struck out 5.

The other Japanese pitcher with Estrellas (Nakahito Nomura) will throw the next week.

The Korean pitcher Jung Bong, Gigantes del Cibao, has a 0-0 record, 6.00 ERA. Bong lasted 3 innings in his only start this season, giving up 3 hits and 2 runs.
[ Author: Guest: Vicki | Posted: Nov 16, 2003 1:11 AM ]

Can anyone please keep me informed on how Masato Yoshii's games are going? I want to see him do well. I will cheer for him where ever he goes. Thank you, Vicki
yosh21 at optonline dot net
The Yoshii Report
[ Author: Guest: Enrique Rojas | Posted: Nov 17, 2003 4:46 AM ]

Masato Yoshii report:

Yoshii was the losing pitcher last Saturday in the game where Gigantes del Cibao won 9-4 over Estrellas Orientales. Yoshii gave up 4 hits, include one home run, and 4 runs in four innings for Estrellas.

Yoshii now has a 0-1 record with a 6.52 ERA in three games, two starts. The right-hander surrended 9 hits and 7 runs in 9.2 innings.

Reporte de Masato Yoshii

Yoshii fue el lanzador derrotado el s
Re: The Yoshii Report
[ Author: Animaru Resulie | Posted: Nov 27, 2003 2:37 PM | HT Fan ]

As much as I really admire Yoshii-san, am I the only one who feels a bit sad that he seems so determined to have his day in the sun again? If I could watch his games on TV, I would, but at the same time, I'd probably cover my eyes at every pitch, like I were watching a horror movie. I mean, he's old, and his arm has probably gone through more than my 1982 Chevy. I felt the same way when I watched Jesse Orosco pitch this year for the Yankees. He's had a fabulous career, so I just didn't want to see him get creamed. Guess I wanted to see him go out with dignity, like Clemens.

Yoshii-san probably feels that he didn't get the praise he deserved when he was with the Mets. He pitched fairly well then. He was just the victim of a lineup that couldn't hit a 50 mph softball if their lives depended on it, and a bullpen that was more like a pigpen.

One thing about Yoshii, though, that deserves some mention. He's probably the only Japanese ball player who has played professionally in four countries. And he's probably played on more pro teams than any other of his Japanese counterparts.

Next stop, Korea?
[ Author: Guest: stewart | Posted: Nov 27, 2003 4:21 PM ]

Sr. Rojas, do you have the latest stats for Yoshii? Gracias.
[ Author: Guest: Enrique Rojas | Posted: Nov 28, 2003 4:06 AM ]

In his last start, Masato Yoshii worked 4.1 innings and allowed 7 hits and one run. For the season, he has a 0-0 record, 5.14 ERA, given up 16 hits, 1 walk, and has struck out 10 in 14.0 innings.

Yoshii looks better start after start and can be a difference for Estrellas Orientales in the last month of regular season in the Dominican Winter League.

En su

The Yoshii Report
[ Author: Guest: Vicki | Posted: Nov 29, 2003 10:16 AM ]

Every fine word in the dictionary is Masato-san. I have so much admiration and respect for him. I would greatly appreciate it if you could please keep me posted in every game he pitches. Arigatou!

yosh21 [at] optonline [dot] net
[ Author: Guest: George Steinbrennernot | Posted: Nov 30, 2003 3:27 PM ]

Yoshii did a good job for the Mets. However, as I recall, his game started to slip and he was released. Bobby V's early teams hit pretty well.

Looks like he wants another shot at MLB, otherwise, he'd be signed by now in Japan, if someone wanted him. The Dominican Winter League is a high caliber league and is often used for tune-ups for MLB players in the off-season or final pre-MLB prep, like Ty Wigginton last year before he took over third base for the Mets. Great local MLB players also like to play for the home town fans.

I salute Yoshii-san's efforts, but considering he didn't have a good year in Japan and his age, I think he has an uphill battle. I wish him success nevertheless.
[ Author: Guest: Enrique Rojas | Posted: Dec 2, 2003 1:53 PM ]

Hey "Little Boss" you're right about the Dominican League quality. Listen, the players are in action right now:

Escogido Lions: Jose Offerman, D'Angelo Jimenez, Timo Perez, Salomon Torres, Carlos Pe
[ Author: Guest: George Steinbrennernot | Posted: Dec 3, 2003 5:48 AM ]

That's quite a roster! I didn't know Timo was playing winter ball.

Is Pedro Astacio still recovering from shoulder surgery or will he pitch in the Dominican League this year?

I hope Yoshii makes his comeback.
[ Author: Guest: Enrique Rojas | Posted: Dec 4, 2003 9:51 PM ]

Masato Yoshii has a 0-0 record, 4.74 ERA, and 14 strike outs (only 3 BB) in 19 innings this season with Estrellas Orientales in the Dominican Winter League.

Yoshii felt better after an injury to his left ankle and will pitch tonight (Thursday) againts Licey Tigers.

Yoshii, who speaks fluid English and a little Spanish, said yesterday that he's waiting to come back to the Major Leagues next season, but has no offer yet.

Masato Yoshii, quien lanza esta noche contra los Tigres del Licey, tiene marca de 0-0 y efectividad de 4.74 en cinco juegos en la Liga Dominicana.

Yoshii est

[ Author: Guest: Enrique Rojas | Posted: Dec 7, 2003 7:37 AM ]

Timo Perez is on DL right now with an injured finger, but Licey expects him back next week.

Pedro Astacio is recovering in his house. The last week he reunited with some executives from Texas Rangers. The Rangers want sign Astacio and Miguel Batista, both free agents.
[ Author: Guest: George Steinbrennernot | Posted: Dec 9, 2003 10:48 AM ]

You know, I forgot one thing about Yoshii-san. He was doing fine for the Mets until he got drilled in the head by a ball. Didn't the same thing happen to Ishii-san last year?
Yoshii Report
[ Author: Guest: Enrique Rojas | Posted: Dec 11, 2003 4:56 AM ]

Masato Yoshii report:

In his last start, Masato Yoshii pitched one gem for Estrellas Orientales, but no decision on the game.

San Yoshii worked 5.1 with one run (not earned), one walks, and two strike outs againts Tigres del Licey. Yoshii defeated Juan Cruz (Chicago Cubs) in first five innings. But the Estrellas' bullpen failed, giving up four runs in the seventh inning. Jose Offerman belted a double with the bases loaded to lead Licey to a come-back.

For the season, Yoshii has a 0-0 record, 5.32 ERA, with 17 Ks, and 5 BB in 23.2 innings.

Reporte de Masato Yoshii

En su

Re: Yoshii Report
[ Author: Guest: Vicki | Posted: Dec 12, 2003 11:33 AM ]

Hi Enrique,

Thank you! Happy Holidays to you and your family,

Vicki - yosh21 at{} optonline dot{} net
Yoshii Released
[ Author: Guest: Enrique Rojas | Posted: Dec 19, 2003 11:48 PM ]

Masato Yoshii, the first Japanese player in Dominican Winter League, was fired from the Estrellas Orientales. Yoshii was unable to win a single game in Dominicana. He was 0-2 with a 4.34 ERA in seven games for Estrellas.

Estrellas Orientales despidieron el mi

Re: Yoshii Released
[ Author: Guest: George Steinbrennernot | Posted: Dec 22, 2003 3:47 AM ]

Well, the Mets are still looking for a starter on the cheap. Perhaps a spring training invite may be in the works?
Re: Yoshii Released
[ Author: Guest: Enrique Rojas | Posted: Dec 23, 2003 2:56 AM ]

I agreed with Steibrennernot. For sure, Yoshii will receive an invitation for spring training, maybe by the Mets or the Dodgers. If not, he'll pitch in Japan.

Estoy de acuerdo con Steinbrennernot, Seguramente, Yoshii recibir

Misc. Mets Notes
[ Author: Guest: George Steinbrennernot | Posted: Dec 23, 2003 2:25 PM ]

Enrique-san,

Is Raul Gonzalez playing in the Dominican League? Looks like the Mets won't pick up a right fielder. Timo can only hit from one side and hasn't progressed. I'm thinking this could be Raul's year. What do you think?

Shinjo-san sure picked a lousy time to stop hitting. If he could have maintained a .270 average, he'd be the Mets' everyday right fielder next year.

I hope Yoshii-san still has some gas in the tank. I'd hate to see another David Cone fiasco.
Re: Misc. Mets Notes
[ Author: Guest: Enrique Rojas | Posted: Dec 26, 2003 1:31 AM ]

Raul Gonzalez is from Puerto Rico, not from the Dominican Republic. The Latin players can play in another winter league when his teams are eliminated in their own leagues.

The Mets have big troubles for the 2004 season. Think about that: having good prospects in shortstop (Jose Reyes) they spend 20 million dollars on another shorstop (Kazuo Masui) when everybody knows they need power in the outfield and gas in the starting rotation. Timo Perez, Raul Gonzalez, and Roger Cede
Re: Misc. Mets Notes
[ Author: Guest: George Steinbrennernot | Posted: Dec 26, 2003 3:16 PM ]

I thought foreigners could play Dominican winter ball.

I am not worried about Reyes moving to second. I do think Kaz will help quite a bit. Along with Cameron, the defense will be a lot better. The Mets need a heavy hitting right fielder, although I suspect someone will rise out of AAA to be the #5 starter this spring.

Any good arms in Japan eligible for FA?
Re: Winter Leagues
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Jan 24, 2004 4:32 AM | HAN Fan ]

Yes, foreigners can play in the Dominican, Mexican Pacific, Puerto Rican, and Venezuelan Winter Leagues. There is a limit to the number per team.

Those of you who live in the United States and miss live professional baseball action, FoxSpanishSports has the winter league playoff action, usually at 4pm Pacific and 7pm Eastern. This will culminate with the Carribean Series the first week in February. I get FoxSpanishSports which is bundled with the Spanish TV package on digital cable for $6.99 a month.
Re: Winter Leagues
[ Author: Guest: Enrique Rojas | Posted: Jan 24, 2004 11:18 PM ]

Hi Kiyoshi.

The foreigners can play in winter leagues, but foreigners from the four countries of the Caribban Baseball Confederation (Venezuela, Mexico, Puerto Rico, and Dominican Republic) can only can play in another league after his team's in his own country is eliminated. For example, one Dominican player may go to Venezuela, Mexico, or Puerto Rico. The player needs his team's permission. Just in the Dominican there are only six teams, but a lot players. Some Major League and minors league players don't have a chance to play in Dominican Winter League, so they receive permission for another winter league or simply sit at home.

PS: The Caribbean Series for 2004 will be hosted in Santo Domingo from February 1-6 with the champions from Venezuela, Mexico, Puerto Rico, and Dominican. A lot of Major League stars will play for Dominican, including Miguel Tejada, Jos
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.