Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

2003-4 Free Agents

Discussion in the NPB News forum
2003-4 Free Agents
The 2003-4 off season free agent list has been posted. This is those who qualify for free agency, not necessarily those who have applied. So, before getting to the list, I'd like to go over the free agent schedule:
  • October 28 - November 6, 2003
    Qualifying players may submit, in writing, that they wish to exercise their right to free agency to their respective team.

• November 7, 2003
    The respective ball clubs notify the Commissioner's Office of players who have declared free agency.

• November 8, 2003
    Lift of ban against negotiating with other teams.
As you can see, no player may discuss signing with another ball club until November 8. Until then, where any given player (i.e. K. Matsui) will go is complete speculation and I will have no comment on the matter. Japanese and foreign (MLB) clubs must wait until November 8 to talk with potential free agents or risk tampering charges.

Now that that's clear, this is the list of candidates by team and position:

Hanshin TigersChunichi DragonsYomiuri GiantsYakult SwallowsHiroshima Toyo CarpYokohama BayStarsFukuoka Daiei HawksSeibu LionsOsaka Kintetsu BuffaloesChiba Lotte MarinesNippon Ham FightersOrix BlueWave

Note: Players with an "*" have announced that they are retiring.

[Admin: I'll add profile links and full names later. Just wanted to get this information out.]

[Corrected some names and added links on Oct 30, 2003 8:58 PM JST]
Comments
Re: 2003-4 Free Agents
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 30, 2003 11:46 AM ]

Osaka Kintetsu Buffaloes
    P Komura

Komura? Can't find him in the team or player lists.

The ballyhooed pair of K. Matsui and Iguchi will draw MLB interest. The only others I could see getting a MLB nibble are the Hawks' Muramatsu and the Buffaloes' Ohmura. It's pretty easy to leave out almost all of the guys over 30 because they're in decline, and that diminshes any interest MLB would have in them.

Jim Albright
Correction
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 30, 2003 1:24 PM | YBS Fan ]

How about Takamura? Same Kanji, different pronunciation. I thought that this was the one that goes by Komura. Guess not. I'll correct it when I enter full names later.
Re: 2003-4 Free Agents
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Oct 31, 2003 11:31 AM | HT Fan ]

I like Chunichi's Ochiai Eiji. He's over 30, but his stats incidate that he's not in decline, or at least hasn't been up to this point. He was tough on Hanshin last year, and I think he's good enough to succeed in MLB. He'd probably get paid more in Japan, though.
5 Declare Free Agency
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 8, 2003 8:58 AM | YBS Fan ]

The lowest number of declared free agents since 1993 has been released from the Commissioners' Office yesterday (November 7). The following five players have declared:
  • Irabu (Hanshin)
  • Shimoyanagi (Hanshin)
  • Takatsu (Yakult)
  • Muramatsu (Daiei)
  • Matsui (Seibu)

All but Muramatsu are considering the Majors. All but Takatsu are considering other teams within Japan.

Reports state that the Mets and Braves are both interested in Shimoyanagi.

In the past, Daiei has stated that they will not negotiate with any player who declares free agency. They appear to have changed their minds this year and have stated that, after Muramatsu has tested the market as he would like, that they will still talk with him. The domestic market for Muramatsu is heating up. Both Orix and Nippon Ham have expressed strong interest in him, and are both requesting meetings in the near future.

The Giants and Nippon Ham have both expressed interest in Little Matsui, and the Lions are hoping that they can keep him.

Re: 5 Declare Free Agency
[ Author: weirdgaijin | Posted: Nov 11, 2003 10:14 PM ]

Hirosawa (Tigers) retired at the end of this season. His final at bat was a home run in Game 7 of the Nippon Series.
Re: 5 Declare Free Agency
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Nov 12, 2003 12:20 AM ]

I've finished the article showing the major league equivalents for the past five years of the Japanese players I'm aware who have a reasonable chance of coming to the majors for 2004. It's at: Possible NPB Imports for 2004 [BaseballGuru.com].

Jim Albright
Muramatsu a Blue Wave
[ Author: Guest: binoculars across the Pacific | Posted: Nov 18, 2003 6:46 AM ]

Apparently Muramtsu agreed to a 4-year, 4-oku yen contract with the Orix Blue Wave, which wasn't the most he was offered, interestingly enough. Nippon Ham offered him 5-oku for 4 years. Daiei apparently was going to give him a 3-year, 3-oku contract. In 2003 Muramatsu had 6 home runs (his career total until this year was 2), with a career high .324 avg. He might have had a chance at the stolen base title had he not been injured. [I'm not entirely sure - this is from reading Japanese sites.]
Re: Muramatsu a Blue Wave
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 18, 2003 9:42 AM | YBS Fan ]

Today's (November 18, JST) Nikkan Sports says that he's decided to become a BlueWave, but not that he's signed, yet. He is still scheduled to talk with Daiei today. It's doubtful that he'll change his mind, but the press gets a little over-zealous with their headlines sometimes.

So far as stolen bases is concerned, he finished second [leaders page] with 32, 10 behind team mate Iguchi who had 42 stolen bases. Had he played the additional 31 games he was out injurred, he'd have given Iguchi some competition, for sure. Also, you might want to note that this was the most stolen bases for Muramatsu since he stole 42 in 1997 [Muramatsu's profile page]. The only Stolen Base Crown that Muramatsu has came in 1996 when he stole 58 bases in 108 games.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.