Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Takatsu Opts for Free Agency

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Takatsu Opts for Free Agency
From todays (November 5, 2003) Japan Times:
Yakult Swallows right-hander Shingo Takatsu on Tuesday opted to exercise his free agency and is hoping to land a deal with a major league club. Takatsu, 34, who qualified for free agency in 2000 and has been keen to try his luck in North America, put on hold the offer of a one-year deal worth 270 million yen from the Central League club at the end of last month.

"I thought the best thing to do would be to sign a new deal with Yakult but I don't want to have any regrets and if (major league or other) clubs come in with offers I'm willing to listen," said Takatsu.

Takatsu, this season's most valuable reliever in the CL, had been seeking a multiyear deal with the Swallows.
Well I'm speechless really. Especially given the fact that all he's asking for is a multi-year deal and Yakult really can't afford to lose him. So why won't they just stump up the cash? Again, another baffling front office decision from a Japanese club.

With Furuta also pondering his options over Free Agency this could be a very painful off-season for us Yakult fans. The front office seem to be offending the clubs' longest and most valuable servants with derisory offers and their apathetic approach/attitude toward contract negotiations. I just don't geddit.
Comments
Re: Takatsu Opts for Free Agency
[ Author: Guest: Suraj | Posted: Nov 5, 2003 11:37 AM ]

This is a growing problem. The only club who can afford good players when they reach FA are the Giants and Tigers. Is NPB going bankrupt? This is a far bigger problem than losing players to MLB.

If Takatsu goes to MLB, I don't think he'll do well. His WHIP is through the roof for a closer, and is not at all overpowering. If he stays in NPB (and I understand why he wants a multiyear deal), I see him going to the Giants, who desperately need some semblance of stability in their bullpen.

Is it me, or are the Swallows and Carp farm teams for the Giants?
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Nov 9, 2003 12:07 PM ]

If only Yomiuri and Hanshin can afford free agents, it makes it easier for MLB to take the players they want. NPB does need to address this imbalance, but the best way to do it is revenue sharing, and as I've pointed out in (I think the Kokubo trade thread), this will take the cooperation of Yomiuri, which shows little willingness to even play by the rules applicable to the other teams, much less a willingness to take action for the common good.

Takatsu doesn't look like a closer in MLB to me either (so long as we don't consider Jose Mesa of this year a suitable example). I suspect he'll command more for the closer role he can nicely fill in NPB than the setup man/middle relief role he'd likely be used for in MLB. Given that the statistically far more attractive Ohtsuka got zero interest from the majors last year when he was posted and that Takatsu is also well into his 30's, I suspect Takatsu will get his best deal in Japan (though I understand his desire to enlarge the pool of bidders for his services).

Jim Albright
[ Author: Yakulto | Posted: Nov 10, 2003 10:28 AM | TYS Fan ]

Well, I've read that thus far Takatsu has recieved no offers, either domestically or from MLB. Hopefully that will continue to be the case and he'll resign for Yakult.

Please, god, don't let Yomuri sign him as the thought of Takatsu in a Giants' uniform is nauseating to say the least.

At least Furuta has comitted himself for another couple of years, so things are not looking so bleak for us Swallows fans.
[ Author: Guest: Rob Fitts | Posted: Jan 4, 2004 8:35 AM ]

Any news on where Takatsu is going for 2004?
[ Author: MikeyRay1 | Posted: Jan 26, 2004 11:05 AM ]

It says on MLB.com he signed a one year deal on January 22 (with a club option for 2005) with the Chicago White Sox.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.