Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Benny Agbayani to Become a Marine

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Benny Agbayani to Become a Marine
I'm a big Mets' fan, and I just read on the "Yahoo MLB Transactions" page that Benny Agbayani, just recently of the Royals and before that the Mets, Rockies, and Red Sox, signed with the Marines. Could part of that be influenced by them hiring Bobby Valentine to be their manager?
Comments
Re: Benny Agbayani to Become a Marine
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 16, 2003 10:06 AM | YBS Fan ]

Did Bobby play a role? Yes, he did. He invited Agbayani to a five-day try-out. After watching him hit all variety of pitch, Lotte officials were ready to sign him after two or three days.

Valentine-kantoku knows what will work in Japan, and is building his team accordingly. Watch out for Chiba in 2004.
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Nov 17, 2003 6:26 AM | HT Fan ]

I think Lotte will be competitive next year. Kintetsu has lost Rhodes, Seibu will probably lose Matsui, and Daiei gave Kokubo away and might lose Muramatsu and Iguchi as well. The Pacific League should be more competitive top through bottom next year.
[ Author: tfk22587 | Posted: Nov 18, 2003 10:29 AM ]

I'm a big Met fan here, and nothing makes me happier than to hear that Benny's got another crack at high-level pro ball.

Of course Bobby V. played a hand in bringing him over. There's no question that he'd bring one of his favorite players with him if he could. Do you think he's got the makeup to be a good player for Lotte?
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Nov 20, 2003 4:26 PM ]

I don't know if Benny's got what it takes to be a success in Japan. A free-swinger like him might not put up numbers, especially when you consider the fact that Chiba Marine Stadium is a big pallpark with MLB dimensions.

The last time Bobby V. brought over one of his former players to provide power it didn't work out. Pete Incaviglia blew like the wind at Chiba Marine.
[ Author: AAslugger12 | Posted: Nov 23, 2003 12:13 AM ]

I think that the Benny deal is probably just to make Bobby V. feel a little more comfortable in Japan. But other than that, I don't see anything good out of this deal. I've gone to see the Mets play a lot while I lived in the NorthEast, and Benny did not please me in any standards of the game. The only positive note that I ever got out of the Mets was watching Ordonez play.

But if I were Bobby V. I would've gotten a player such as Me. Someone who doesn't hit for power, someone who plays for fun and is very fast. I know I would be able to make things happen in the short game, either stealing a couple bags or laying down that sweet bunt.

But that's my opinion. We'll just wait 'til the season starts to see what happens.

Amaury
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Nov 23, 2003 1:31 AM | HT Fan ]

- I don't see anything good out of this deal. I've gone to see the Mets play a lot while I lived in the NorthEast, and Benny did not please me in any standards of the game. The only positive note that I ever got out of the Mets was watching Ordonez play.

Yeah, those .248/.291/.311 career hitters are really something to watch.

You seem to be placing too much emphasis on defense. Agbayani (.274/.362/.445) is a much better hitter than Ordonez. I'll take a so-so fielding, .800 OPS bat in left over an all-glove, no-stick shortstop any day. Benny will do just fine in Japan.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Nov 23, 2003 10:14 AM | HAN Fan ]

Benny was very disappointed when he didn't go to Japan in 2003. Hope he does well in 2004.
[ Author: AAslugger12 | Posted: Nov 23, 2003 11:18 AM ]

Like I said earlier, nothing good out of this deal. Why pick a guy who's going to strike out at least 100 times a season when you can get a guy who's going to be more productive on the other side of the field? Benny has a big bat, but that's it. No speed, no defense, and an average arm. The only plus that Benny got was a job.
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Nov 23, 2003 11:49 AM | HT Fan ]

- [...] Why pick a guy who's going to strike out at least 100 times a season when you can get a guy who's going to be more productive on the other side of the field? Benny has a big bat, but that's it. No speed, no defense, and an average arm. [...]

Of course I'd prefer a five-tool player, but if I can't have that, I'll take the player that can hit for a decent average with power than a player like Ordonez who has speed, plays great defense with a plus arm, and couldn't hit is way out of a paper bag -- much less get on base at an acceptable rate. Production at the plate is more important than production on the other side of the field.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.