Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Yankees vs. Giants/Hanshin

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Yankees vs. Giants/Hanshin
According to the New York Daily News, an executive from the Commisioner's Office in NPB has announced that if the Yankees do decide to play their season opener in "the land of the rising sun" not only will they play the Tampa Bay Devil Rays in official MLB games, they will also play exhibition games against both the Central League Champion Hanshin Tigers and the former team of Hideki Matsui, the Yomiuru Giants.

I was wondering if anybody in Japan has heard this, too, and what everybody thinks of this. And since they're only exhibition games, do you think that they will be televised here in America? The reason I ask is because they didnt broadcast the MLB/NPB tour prior to this past season, and these games might not be televised like those games.
Comments
Re: Yankees vs. Giants/Hanshin
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Nov 23, 2003 1:11 PM ]

When the Mets and Cubs came to Japan in 2000, they played exhibitions with the Giants and the Lions. None of the four games were televised in the U.S., to the best of my knowledge.
[ Author: brahje0099 | Posted: Dec 18, 2003 4:07 PM ]

The Yankees would probably like to broadcast the exhibition on the YES network. I don't think that MLB would care if it is broadcast.

The San Francisco Giants did broadcast by satellite an exhibition game in the early 1970s that they played in spring training. It was the only time that a single team did spring training in Japan.
[ Author: Guest: George Steinbrennernot | Posted: Dec 19, 2003 9:59 AM ]

The Wankees will play Tampa Bay in 2 games, preceded a day or so earlier by a double-header where the Wanks and TB play the Giants and the Tigers. My misunderstood twin brother didn't want to do it, but agreed out of respect for and his friendship with Watanabe-san. (I think that's the Giants' owner.)
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Dec 19, 2003 10:51 AM | YBS Fan ]

Nikkan Sports has the schedule in today's (December 19, 2003) paper:

Day  Time         Matchup
28 12:00 Hanshin vs. DevilRays
19:00 Giants vs. Yankees
29 12:00 Hanshin vs. Yankees
19:00 Giants vs. DevilRays
30 19:00 DevilRays vs. Yankees
31 19:00 DevilRays vs. Yankees

All dates are in March of 2004, and all games are to be played at Tokyo Dome.

And, yes, Watanabe is the Giants' evil overlord - I mean, owner.

[ Author: Guest: Dave | Posted: Dec 19, 2003 7:04 PM ]

Any idea how tickets will be available for Yanks vs. Rays in Tokyo Dome? Even for exhibition games?
[ Author: Guest: Scott | Posted: Jan 12, 2004 10:04 AM ]

- Any idea how tickets will be available for Yanks vs. Rays in Tokyo Dome? Even for exhibition games?

According to the Nippon Professional Baseball Site, ticket details will be announced mid-January i.e. within the next week or so.

As a guide, ticket prices for last year's (cancelled) opening matches ranged from 1,500 yen (standing) to 14,000 yen (reserved). Phone bookings were available first (from Feb. 2), followed by an internet ticket lottery (Feb. 9-12), and finally by general sales through CN Playguide, Ticket Pia, and Laswon Ticket (from Feb. 15).

Source: Sankei Sports

Cheers,

Scott
[ Author: Guest: George Steinbrennernot | Posted: Dec 20, 2003 2:41 AM ]

Which one of the two is Darth Vader?
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 20, 2003 7:24 AM ]

The Yankee web site shows two games against the Devil Rays on April 6 and 7 at a place yet to be determined. I believe that these would be the dates for the 2 games in Tokyo. The Yankee MLB season starts on April 6 2004. No MLB team is playing regular season games in March, and I believe that the idea was to get the Yankees to play "real" games that count in Japan (not just exhibition games).
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: Dec 22, 2003 6:21 AM | HT Fan ]

A few seasons back, I recall listening to the two early-season Mets games (vs. Cubs?) played in Japan on local New York radio around 5 a.m. I assume the Yankees-Rays games will be similarly broadcast and also available on their MLB web sites (radio is usually offered for free, video for a charge).

Let's hope the exhibition games with the Tigers and Giants will be similarly offered, at least on the Internet.
[ Author: Guest: Rob Fitts | Posted: Jan 4, 2004 8:33 AM ]

Michael,

Any idea when and how tickets will be available for the Yanks vs. Tigers and Giants?
[ Author: Guest: Ralph Bennett | Posted: Jan 23, 2004 9:19 AM ]

If you have or get any info about tickets, please e-mail me.

Thanks,
Ralph
[ Author: Guest: roger | Posted: Jan 25, 2004 10:20 PM ]

How can I buy tickets for these games?
Yankees vs. Giants/Hanshin to be Broadcast
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Feb 10, 2004 6:14 AM ]

I just looked on the Yankee schedule on the Yankee website, and they have listed that the 2 exhibition games will be televised on YES. So lucky for us New Yorkers - and lucky for all the people around the country (USA) who have directv or access to the YES network.
[ Author: kenwhy | Posted: Feb 17, 2004 3:49 PM | TYS Fan ]

I just got back from Japan, and while I was there I checked out the ticket "broker" shops in Shinjuku. The face value prices alone for a New York vs. Tampa Bay game range from 25,000 yen to 5,000 yen. Pretty steep, but get a hold of this - a pair of face 18,000 yen tickets are selling for 67,000 yen, and a pair of face 25,000 yen tickets are selling for 85,000 yen. Pretty steep considering it's still Tampa Bay as an opponent.

Ken
[ Author: Guest: kimberly misdeo | Posted: Mar 2, 2004 4:08 PM ]

Do you know where I can buy 3 tickets? We live in Okinawa, Japan (military) and would love to go. I have had no luck anywhere so far!
[ Author: niibu_yaa | Posted: Mar 27, 2004 6:57 PM | FSH Fan ]

Can't help you on where to get tickets Kimberly Misdeo.

Since you're in Okinawa, I was wondering if you could track down a Shuri High School baseball cap for me?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 2, 2004 4:37 PM | YBS Fan ]

Following directions in the FAQ about tickets (FAQ = Frequently Asked Questions - the first place to look), I checked e+. (Looks like the link needs to be updated.) This page (in Japanese) states that reserved tickets for the Giants vs. Yankees are sold out, as are Giants 2-Game Sets. Giants vs. Devil Rays are still available for March 29.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.