Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

BCL: Thunderbirds vs. GrandSerows

Discussion in the NPB News forum
BCL: Thunderbirds vs. GrandSerows
This past weekend I drove up to Nagano with a friend for a one day excursion to see the new Hokushinetsu Baseball Challenge League (BCL). The last place Shinano GrandSerows were hosting the first place Toyama Thunderbirds. What follows is the game log that I typed up during the game.

2007-06-03 Suwako Stadium

Four hours north of home, I arrived at Suwako Stadium a little before 12:00 for the 1:00 game between the Shinano GrandSerows and Toyama Thunderbirds. Suwako is the name of the lake located adjacent to the stadium. There are a number of little league teams at the ball game. And much of the fan base is dressed in GrandSerow colors, red and white. Toyama is dressed in green, and there are a few people in the stands on the third base side wearing green over the Thunderbirds' dugout.

According to the local paper, the home team GrandSerows suffered a sayonara loss the night before to Toyama, so they're looking for some revenge. I was glad to see that the GrandSerows got a half page in the local paper, despite the loss. All we get in the Kanto area about the BCL are the line scores, winning and losing pitchers, and who hit home runs.

After infield practice by both teams, a local taiko troop came out and played the drums on the first base side of the infield while the home team raked the field. And, yes, I do mean the team members, including the catcher in his full gear.

Through the first three innings, while starting pitcher Kyuzen Shingo held the Thunderbirds scoreless, it wasn't due to lack of allowing base runners. He was in pinch after pinch, but managed to get that third out without allowing a run in each of the first three innings.

On the offensive side, the GrandSerows were able to get runners on with a couple of outs, but nothing too threatening through the first two. But in the bottom of the third, after back to back base hits to lead off the inning, the number two batter failed to sacrifice the runners along, then Machida Takayuki delivered a bloop single to shallow left-center to plate the runner from second, taking a 1-0 lead. A pair of wild pitches then plated the second run of the inning. Ohmura Yuzo then hit a double down the third base line, plating two more, making it a 4-0 ball game in favor of the home team. The GrandSerows then loaded the bases, but the offense stopped there.

So, with a four run lead, Kyuzen walked the first batter he faced in the top of the fourth. That was followed by number nine batter, Kawabata Eiji, lining a single to right, putting runners at the corners with nobody out. But Kyuzen bared down and struck out Daishi swinging for one out. With the number two batter at the plate, Kawabata broke for second, and took it without a throw. A bad call by the first base ump on a ground ball to second then loaded the bases.

So, with the bases load and full count, Kyuzen threw a pitch way up high to walk in the Thunderbirds' first run, and the Thunderbirds' bats were sparked. Nohara Yuya then blooped a base hit to straight away center to cut the Serows' lead in half. Inoguchi Yusuke then singles in two with a base hit up the right field line. Tied ball game. After allowing the gyakyuten run to come across on an error, Kyuzen was finally pulled.

Suzue (the name listed on the scoreboard - although I don't see any such player on the day's roster) came in to pitch and got the final out, a fly out to right center.

After five innings, a little league team came out to rake the field (along with a few ball players). The visiting team even sent out a couple of players to help with the grounds keeping.

The GrandSerows got a two out rally going in the bottom of the sixth, with a hit batsman and a walk. But Ichikawa Takayuki was thrown out at the plate trying to score from second on a ground ball to center.

Former Seibu Lion and Daiei Hawk, Miyachi Katsuhiko (a playing coach), led off the top of the seventh with a triple to center. He was then singled in by Machida Kazuya to put the Thunderbirds up 6-4. Machida was then sacrificed to second, and Shimojoh Tsuyoshi was through on the mound. Kosaka Suguru came in to replace him.

The scoring didn't stop there, though. While Kosaka managed to get another out, (Nagamori) Daishi singled in the third run of the inning before (Ohta) Yushi flew out to left to retire the side.

Again, a two out rally for the GrandSerows in the eighth. With two down, Imai Masashi doubled to right, Ichikawa Takayuki singled, and the pair were stranded at the corners. (Kakku.)

Kosaka threw a 1-2-3 ninth, the first time this game that the Thunderbirds went down in order.

Down 8-4 in the bottom of the ninth, Machida Takayuki leads off with a solo home run to right. The wind had blown a number of previous drives foul to right (each with the distance), but Machida put this one over well in fair territory.

Pinch hitter Murakami Shosuke grounded the ball to the pitcher with runners at first and second and one out. But pitcher, Zoh Yuichi, threw the ball into center field instead of getting the game ending double play. One run in, runners at the corners.

Ogiwara Hideo grounded into a force out to bring the home team to within one run.

But that's all she wrote, as the game came to a close, with the Thunderbirds defeating the GrandSerows by a score of 8-7.

Well, it was an exciting ending. Overall, it was good baseball. While there were a few errors that seemed like easy plays (like a tunnel through the second baseman's legs and the right fielder stumbling just as he made a catch - and dropping it), there were also a few gems (like a couple of diving grabs or a great block at home).

The drive home took about 5 and a half hours, as we hit a 20 km backup before reaching Sagamiko. I've decided that if I ever go up north to watch another BCL game, I'm staying the night at a hotel with an onsen.
Comments
Re: BCL: Thunderbirds vs. GrandSerows
[ Author: Tokyo Sox | Posted: Jun 6, 2007 8:04 PM | TYS Fan ]

Awesome. Sounds like a cool trip, despite the travel time. What kind of league is this, level-wise? How would it compare with the corporate league, or say the ni-gun of the pro teams? Thanks.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Jun 7, 2007 9:03 AM | NIP Fan ]

Any idea what the attendance was of the game? I'm curious how popular these teams are amongst the locals. In addition to wearing the team colors, were there organized ouendan sections at all?

It sounds pretty neat, especially for the people who would usually be making that 4-5 hour trip to see the NPB teams!
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Jun 8, 2007 2:59 PM | HAN Fan ]

Jim,

What kind of food and beverage concessions did they have? Were souvenirs available?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 9, 2007 1:09 AM | YBS Fan ]

Tokyo Sox asked:
What kind of league is this, level-wise? How would it compare with the corporate league, or say the ni-gun of the pro teams?
Hmm. Well, as I mentioned, there were a number of easy misses during the game, giving me the impression that these "kids" still had quite a ways to go to challenge the upper professional leagues. The term "Rookie League" comes to mind. They've got the basics, and the drive. They just need a little more polishing off.

Deanna followed up asking:
Any idea what the attendance was of the game? I'm curious how popular these teams are amongst the locals. In addition to wearing the team colors, were there organized ouendan sections at all?
Well, Suwako Stadium holds about 6,000 people, and I'd say that it was at about 1/3rd capacity, so maybe around 2,000 fans. The parking lot filled up pretty quickly, as it appears that private cars are the preferred method of travel in that area. There were a large number of families, and a number of local baseball teams from elementary school age through adult teams.

Outside the ball park, there was a tent setup for the GrandSerows Fan Club. Membership is 10,000 yen, and includes some oen goods and a season pass to all of the GrandSerows' home games throughout Nagano.

And, yes, there was an oendan in the crowd, complete with trumpeter. Their "reserved" section had a copy of the local Shinetsu Mainichi Shimbun (newspaper) at each of the oendan members' spot.

Finally, Kiyoshi asked Jim (who's Jim?):
What kind of food and beverage concessions did they have? Were souvenirs available?
If I may answer, in terms of food, there were obentos (fish, rice, pickled veggies), corn dogs, franks on a stick, French fries (lacking salt!), popcorn (lacking butter and salt!), tako yaki, and probably a couple of other things. Drinks were 500ml PET bottles of Pepsi, sports drinks, water, and various teas, as well as can coffee (hot and cold, I think). Basically, anything that you can usually find in a vending machine.

The goods available were the usual variety like pens, pins, baseballs for signing (all the players go outside after the game to sign things), plastic bats, towels, caps, replica uniforms, etc.

Very good questions by all. Thank you.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.