Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Hawks Signings

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Hawks Signings
The Fukuoka Daiei Hawks have signed two left handed pitchers.

Hector Mercado, who has spent time in the Major Leagues with Philadelphia, Cincinnati and Mets.

Lindsay Gulin, who has been in the Dodger organization for the last few years and threw a no-hitter in AAA last season.
Comments
Re: Hawks Signings
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jan 18, 2004 9:39 PM ]

The Hawks have signed who and who? I swear, with the exception of Rodney Pedraza, the Hawks have had the worst luck with their foreign pitchers. They never pick up any decent foreign pitchers. They should just go to the recycling bin and pick up someone who's been discarded by another team.
[ Author: daijnj | Posted: Feb 1, 2004 10:00 PM | FSH Fan ]

I believe the problem is not necessarily with the gaijin they sign, but with the way they are treated and used. (This is more than just a guess -- "reliable sources" say so.) Other teams that have had gaijin pitching success have not necessarily signed known names, but have treated them on a par with home-grown boys. Not so in Fukuoka.
[ Author: iizukabraves | Posted: Apr 9, 2004 10:04 AM ]

I am interested in your thoughts on this subject. Could you please be a little more specific concerning the treatment of the foriegn players?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.