Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Pro Yakyu Live! June 23, 2007

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Pro Yakyu Live! June 23, 2007
As yesterday's game was rained out (it'll be made up next Monday at Chiba Marine Stadium), it's off to Gifu for the Yomiuri Giants hosting the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters at Hitachinaka this afternoon. Game time will be at 1:30 pm JST [World Clock - check time/date in your area].

Hisanori Takahashi will be pitching for the Giants, just days after saying his final farewells to his father. Jason Johnson will take the mound for the Lions. Johnson reported an hour and a half late for practice yesterday as he caught the wrong train, a mistake he promised won't happen again.
Comments
Re: Pro Yakyu Live! June 23, 2007
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 24, 2007 8:14 AM | YBS Fan ]

Takahashi threw well for his 10th win of the season, the first 10 game winner in both leagues. In a teary hero interview, Takahashi said that he was sure that his father was looking over him. Through the first five innings, Takahashi found himself in three bases loaded jams, and managed to get out of each with just allowing a single sacrifice fly.

Johnson was knocked out after just three innings. And while we're on the subject of Johnson, I'd like to give him some advice:

Mr. Johnson, when you hit someone in the back with a pitch accidentally, the correct thing to do is to tip your hat in apology. It is not to continue with a shouting match, pointing your finger at the batter as though it were his own fault for getting hit. Between your blog belittling Japan, your appreciation of Roppongi night life, and this display of unreasonableness on the mound, I'm afraid that I can't think of a single reason as to why you might succeed here in Japan. I was frankly surprised when you did return to Japan after your stint recovering in the U.S., and decided that maybe you deserved another chance before passing any kind of judgment. But this incident convinced me that Japan is not where you belong.

For those of you wanting to listen to the game in full, as well as bonus coverage of the ending of the Nippon Ham vs. Hanshin game (where the Fighters clinched Inter-League play), you can download the podcast here [68MB MP3 file]. Enjoy.
[ Author: NipponHam11 | Posted: Jun 25, 2007 4:05 AM | SFT Fan ]

Having watched Jason Johnson here in the USA, I know that he is a mediocre pitcher at best, and is completely unfit for play in Japan. Whoever signs Johnson next must be downright desperate for pitching, no disrespect intended.
[ Author: Guest: MLB Fan | Posted: Jun 27, 2007 12:09 PM ]

I don't like to disagree with someone's opinion because that's all it is. But 10 years in the Big Leagues does not make you a mediocre pitcher. I doubt you have searched his history. Last year he stunk, but played all year hurt. Looks like he tried to do that again this year. So compare him to Jake Westbrook making $33 million over 3 years. In 2005 Westbrook and Johnson had the same stats plus the were 1st and 2nd in quality starts. Jake won 15 Johnson won 8. Indians were great and the Tigers stunk.

I do enjoy all your opinions, keep them coming.

By the way, Tomo Ohko said he will not play in Japan. I'm glad he got picked up by SL. If this is the way you treat your players. If you don't care for Johnson, at least wait until the end of the year, not after his third game.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 27, 2007 3:55 PM | YBS Fan ]

I have no opinion on whether Johnson is a good or bad pitcher. But his attitude is all wrong for Japan. He even admitted to having hit Kimura intentionally in his latest blog entry:
... i [sic] couldnt [sic] get the ball down in the zone and everything was up so they had a field day hitting that high fastball. I also decided that someone needed to get hit or brushed back off the plate and so when i [sic] did hit a guy he threw his helmet on the gound [sic] and stared at me so i [sic] walked toward him and started yelling at him but apparently he had nothing to say or maybe it was that he didnt [sic] understand anything i [sic] was saying, i [sic] kinda forgot about the whole language barrier but it happens.
I have a very hard time understanding his logic. He's having trouble keeping the ball down, so he decides that someone has got to be hit? How is hitting a batter going to help his control? And it looked like Johnson was just swearing at the batter while pointing his finger at him as though his (lack of) control was the batter's fault. What possible message was Johnson trying to get across to Kimura?

And "bragging" about staying out all night in Roppongi does nothing to improve his image. In fact, images of trouble making, drunken gaijin come to mind (whether he was one or not). Johnson seems to really like Roppongi because it reminds him of home. To many of us who live here in Japan, Roppongi is the shady side of Tokyo, full of bars, prostitutes, mobster wanna-bes, and illegal drugs. There are many good things in Roppongi as well, as I've attended a classical concert and a wedding in that area. But I certainly wouldn't want to be there after 10:00 pm.
[ Author: Guest: MLB Fan | Posted: Jun 27, 2007 11:46 PM ]

Now that's a good reply. I do believe his attitude is wrong for Japan. Although it is the way we play in America. I hope he becomes more Japanese.

As for Roppongi, I've never been there so I will hold my opinion till I visit next month. Being a Japanese baseball fan for only a couple years I lack the knowledge about many things in your country. But one thing for sure, I will never knock a Japanese player playing here in America like you good people do to Americans in Japan.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Jun 28, 2007 4:26 AM | NIP Fan ]

Wow, stereotype or generalize much?

I recommend reading Robert Whiting's series of books before you go over, then -- You Gotta Have Wa and The Meaning of Ichiro. (Well, I'd also recommend Chrysanthemum and the Bat, except I lucked into a copy at a used bookstore a few years ago, and haven't seen another one since.) There are generally a lot of cultural misunderstandings on both sides when it comes to Japanese-American baseball relationships, and I think it's unfair to criticize one side over the other.

I also don't think you understand exactly who you're addressing on this forum, but that's another story. If you're so down on this so-called group of "you good people," why are you going to Japan to watch baseball, or posting here at all?

And do you have a source for the Ohka quote? I understand that he probably doesn't want to give up on MLB money or on the prestige - plus that he might feel like a "failure" if he returns - but I don't think it's because of the way fans treat him. Just look at the fan followings for Takatsu or Ishii or any of those guys.
[ Author: Guest: MLB Fan | Posted: Jun 28, 2007 12:52 PM ]

Thanks for the tongue Lashing. I may or may not deserve it. My point was directed to the person that called Johnson mediocre. You, Westbaystars and Christopher, jumped in as if directed to you. Not so.

As you stated, I don't know whom I'm addressing in the forum, but just because they write in this forum does not make them an expert. And you don't know who I am so I could be an expert. In any case as you stated I don't know much about the Japanese, but would like to. And not to generalize, because my only real information is the movie "Mr. Baseball" from around 1992, and that is a poor example! Though at the moment it does sound that way to me.

I'm a long time Baseball fan and when Dice-K came to the USA I hoped he would do well, as he has. Even more, he's been great. He is surrounded but staff to keep him out of trouble, what would happen if he were free to roam?

I'm an old fan, so I will try to find the book, "You Gotta Have Wa." In the mean time, I long for the days of the spit ball and men playing a game.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Jun 28, 2007 7:34 AM | HAN Fan ]

His attitude would seem to be wrong for playing any kind of sport. Why is it OK to hit someone when you're making a mess of things? If I was a Seibu coach I would be reading him the riot act now.
[ Author: Guest: USA Fan | Posted: Jul 9, 2007 11:59 AM ]

Yes, I agree with the opinion regarding Jason Johnson's unprofessionalism. He's really rough around the edges and perhaps not ready for Japan. Maybe he should go home, but I have the feeling no one wants him there as he is a poor pitcher. I especially am disappointed in his blog and how he puts down the Japanese way of life. Really, who does that? And in a country who's gracious enough to have him and he gets paid millions of dollars!

I'm familiar with Roppongi nightlife, and if this is what Mr. Johnson thinks is the best part about Japan, then he's either really shallow or really uneducated. He needs to take some lessons from CJ Nitowski and learn what's appropriate to write about in a blog, which the whole world has access to, and also take some educational tours around Japan to learn and appreciate their culture, not just getting drunk and shagging in Roppongi. Maybe he should bone-up on pitching strategies. Just an idea.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.