Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Nagashima-kantoku Down with Stroke

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Nagashima-kantoku Down with Stroke
Someone just mentioned on a mailing list that Nagashima-kantoku had just had a stroke. I saw that he'd been admitted to the hospital for a cold that he's had for a few days in today's Nikkan Sports, but I wasn't too concerned. However, checking Nikkan Sports on-line I found this report [in Japanese] posted just before 3:00 this afternoon. While I'm very weak at medical Japanese, that appears to be what's happened, a hemerage on the left side of his brain. (Please, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.) Could we have somebody familiar with medical terms give us a better, more detailed translation?

A follow-up report stated that his son, Kazushige, rushed to the hospital, but says that there's nothing they can do but pray.

Giants' fan or not, I'm sure that Nagashima has the best wishes from us all for a speedy recovery. Gambare, Mister!

Comments
Re: Nagashima-kantoku Down with Stroke
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 5, 2004 3:48 PM | YBS Fan ]

The report on the Daily Yomiuri [Link - in English] doesn't appear nearly as worring. Probably because I can understand it better.

Also, where I said "hemerage" [sic - correct spelling: "hemorrhage"] above, that should have been "blockage." Quite a blunder, but no less severe. More information about the two types of strokes (blockage and leakage) is availble from the Wikipedia [Link].
Re: Nagashima-kantoku Down with Stroke
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Mar 5, 2004 11:58 PM | HT Fan ]

Further to your report: I just saw the TV coverage of a press conference held by the doctor at noon today (Mar. 5). He said that Nagashima was conscious and able to answer questions, but that he had some slight paralysis on the right side of his body.

Hope the big man gets better soon.
Nagashima-kantoku Stands on Own
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 20, 2004 5:52 PM | YBS Fan ]

As sakura started blooming 10 days earlier than average last Thursday, Nagashima-kantoku has progressed in his rehabilitation to the point that he stood on his own.

Since being hospitalized on March 4 for a blockage in his brain which paralized the right side of his body, Japan's favorate living legend of baseball has been treated and begun the process of rehabilitation. This has been the series of events so far:
  • March 4 - After allowing Nagashima to uncharacteristically sleep late, Nagashima-kantoku's driver became concerned and brought him to the hospital. The offical reason for admission at the time was a cold.

• March 5 - After family had been contacted, it was announced that Nagashima-kantoku had an ischemic stroke [Wikipedia] that had paralized the right side of his body.

• March 8 - Nagashima-kantoku was seen smiling and it was announced that the most dangerous part of treatment had passed.

• March 9 - Speach begins to return as he starts greeting the hospital staff with "ohayo" in the morning. Also ate some yogurt and sat himself up in bed as a start to rehabilitation.

• March 10 - Listened to classical music and started eating solid foods.

• March 12 - Sat up in a wheelchair to eat and began a 1 hour rehabilitation workout on his right side.

• March 15 - Stood up from his wheelchair with some help and shifted weight between left and right side of his body.

• March 16 - Had first shower since being admitted to the hospital and began speach rehabilitation.

• March 18 - Nagashima-kantoku was concerned about if the sakura in his garden at home were blooming with the warm weather. He had omlets brought in by his wife ("oishii") for breakfast. And he started working on rehabilitation of his right leg, standing on his own without help for the first time since being admitted.

Source: Nikkan Sports

One thing I find interesting is that many of the press releases are being held by the Giants' front office, despite Nagashima-kantoku no longer managing for them. The Japan Olympic Committee, who he does now manage for, has little to nothing to say other than that they're waiting to see how Nagashima-kantoku is before going out and looking for a new manager to go to Athens.

Nonetheless, it appears that Nagashima-kantoku is progessing fine. I hope that he's able to go out and sit under the sakura when the come into full bloom very soon.

About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.