Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Darvish Throws No-No in Senbatsu

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Darvish Throws No-No in Senbatsu
On Friday (March 26, 2004), at the high school Spring invitational tournament that is now going on at Koshien (home to the Hanshin Tigers), top prospect Yu Darvish threw the 12th no-hit, no-run of the tournament's 76 year history, throwing to three over the minimum.

The game didn't start off Darvish's way, allowing the first Kumamoto batter to reach base on an error by his third baseman. But he got the next batter to pop out to third and struck out the next two. He walked batters in the second and fifth innings, but that was the extent of Kumamoto batters to reach base. In all, Darvish struck out 12 batters, including all three batters he faced in the fourth inning.

Besides a 147 kph fastball (76 thrown), Darvish threw strikes with his sinker (14), curve (12), and slider (27) for a total of 129 pitches. He struck out 6 looking, 6 swinging, got 10 infield ground outs, 3 infield flies, and only two outs were recorded in the outfield as flies.

When Darvish goes high in the draft next November, this son of an Iranian father and Japanese mother will be considered Japanese.
Comments
Re: Darvish Throws No-No in Senbatsu
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Mar 28, 2004 8:28 AM | HT Fan ]

Darvish looks pretty special, doesn't he? Even last year, he showed he was really good.

Question: Has he already decided to go pro straight out of high school, or were you just making the point about the nationality issue? (I ask because I may have missed an announcement to that effect; I've been living in the proverbial cave lately with too much work, so I haven't been keeping up with the news.)
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 29, 2004 10:24 PM | YBS Fan ]

Nice point. No, I don't know for sure if he's looking to go Pro Yakyu. It's just based on the reading that all the scouts are out to sign him. Nikkan also mentioned that a large number of scouts from North America are at Koshien this year as well.
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Mar 30, 2004 2:04 PM | YAK Fan ]

Does anyone know the regulations regarding MLB scouts and Japanese high school players? Can MLB teams attempt to sign or draft them? I remember hearing there were MLB scouts at the summer tournament last year watching Darvish as well.
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Apr 1, 2004 3:50 AM ]

MLB scouts can sign any Japanese player over 16. Mind you, Japanese teams might not like it very much (as the confrontation Shigeo Nagashima had with Tommy Lasorda over Hayato Terahara showed), but there's nothing they can do about it.

There is considerable MLB interest in Darvish as well as an industrial league pitcher with Shidax named Nomaguchi. The Mariners tried to sign Hiroshi Kisanuki, but an MLB source told me that Yomiuri made a fat under the table payment to Kisanuki to keep that from happening.

Incidently, a new Taiwanese pitcher is about to be signed by some MLB club. The kid has a 94mph heater. He is in negotiations right now.
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Apr 1, 2004 3:44 PM | YAK Fan ]

- The Mariners tried to sign Hiroshi Kisanuki, but an MLB source told me that Yomiuri made a fat under the table payment to Kisanuki to keep that from happening.

Wow, I've heard some bad things about Watanabe, but that's gotta be right up there at the top of the scandals. Thanks for the info.

I saw in the news the other night that Darvish gave up 2 HR's in his next outing after the no-no. I wonder how the scouts looked at this. It also goes to show that no matter how fast your fastball is, people will wait for it and sit on it, if it's your only pitch, or pitch you throw 90% of the time. Rob Dibble rings a bell, with his 100mph heater, that batters eventually just started sitting on.
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Apr 1, 2004 7:57 AM | HT Fan ]

- Does anyone know the regulations regarding MLB scouts and Japanese high school players? Can MLB teams attempt to sign or draft them?

MLB teams are free to sign any international amateur player 16 or older. International players are not subject to MLB's First Year Players Draft.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.