Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Hanshin Tigers Courting Hodges

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Hanshin Tigers Courting Hodges
The Hanshin Tigers are close to signing right hander Trey Hodges to fill in for the injured Jerrod Riggan.

The 26 year old Hodges spent the entire 2003 season with the Atlanta Braves where he posted a 4.66 ERA in 52 games (1 start, 65.2 innings). He walked 31 and struck out 66 batters.

In 2004, Hodges has spent his time with the Braves Triple-A farm club, the Richmond Braves. He is currently 5-2 with a 4.82 ERA in ten games (all starts, 52.1 innings).

Hodges is expected to be used in a relief role. Riggan (2.84 ERA), Ramon Morel (3.00 ERA), and Jeff Williams (1.87 ERA) have all pitched well for the Tigers, who are four games back of the Central League-leading Chunichi Dragons.
Comments
Re: Hanshin Tigers Courting Hodges
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Jun 24, 2004 4:00 PM | HT Fan ]

Indeed so. Today's SanSpo reports that not only has Hanshin signed Hodges (brother of Kevin Hodges of the Swallows), they have also signed a bloke called Rodney Myers from the Dodgers' organisation.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Jun 25, 2004 7:12 PM | HT Fan ]

Poor old Riggan. SanSpo reports that he's returning to the USA for treatment, and speculates that he might not come back to Hanshin.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Jun 26, 2004 3:03 PM | HT Fan ]

Today, however, SanSpo quotes Riggan as saying he strongly hopes to be back as soon as possible, and to stay with Hanshin in 2005.
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Jul 1, 2004 12:34 AM | HT Fan ]

I'm surprised the Braves let Trey Hodges go, because I was under the impression that he was a fairly useful pitcher for them. I hope the Tigers give him a look a starter, 'cuz that rotation could use some help.

I used to watch Rodney Myers when he pitched for the Cubs in the mid-'90s. He was kind of a power guy with bad control back then, but I haven't seen him in years so I don't know if he's really the same now. Signing two pitchers makes me wonder. Morel is putting up solid numbers but do they really have confidence in him?

Any news on Kinkade and Kataoka?
[ Author: Guest: grooveone | Posted: Aug 10, 2004 2:59 PM ]

Hi there all,

I was just trying to find out what happened to Trey Hodges. I don't see his stats listed anywhere on the site. Anyone know if he's playing for a Japanese team, and how he's doing if he is?

Thanks!
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Aug 11, 2004 3:26 PM | HT Fan ]

He had a great first outing, but since then, unfortunately, the news has not been good. In another thread in this forum, I posted:
Apart from his debut, when Hanshin smashed Chunichi 15-1, Hodges has only managed to pitch an average of 5 innings per game, and, ominously, the number of innings Hodges pitched has steadily declined: 7, 7, 5, and 4. Again, discounting his first outing, each time he has left the mound, Hanshin have been losing: 2-5 against the Giants on Sunday; 1-3 against the Swallows the week before; and 0-3 against the Giants before that.

The Tigers' official site (Japanese only) gives Hodges's stats as:

4 games, 1 win, 2 losses, ERA 4.30, 23 innings pitched, 17 Ks, and 11 earned runs.

[ Author: Guest: Camille Riggan | Posted: Aug 12, 2004 7:29 AM ]

Dear Sir,

What do you mean "poor old Riggan"? How would you like it if your right arm was cut from your wrist to just above your elbow and you couldn't do the thing that you just love to do? (Baseball!)

A year is a long time to be off, lots of painful rehab. He is traveling 125 miles every day of the week to his rehab facility to help heal his elbow and arm. He loves Japan and will be back. Sounds like you don't have much compassion.
[ Author: Guest: K Chambers | Posted: Aug 25, 2004 4:20 PM ]

Ms. Riggan,

You wouldn't be from Brewster would you? How is Jerrod's arm doing?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jun 26, 2004 4:31 AM ]

The Braves have sold the contract of Trey Hodges to the Hanshin Tigers. [Link - TimesDispatch]
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Sep 15, 2004 12:28 AM ]

From JapanBaseballDaily.com:

Hodges' problem, as far as Okada sees it, is that he lacks consistency of command of the strike zone and doesn't have enough heat to be able to get by when his offspeed stuff isn't working. So his agent may want to start making some phone calls and see if he can find his client a spot with somebody next season.

My question is, was this all a quote from Okada-san? I think Okada may need an agent to find him a job next year!

About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.