Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Lotte-Yakult Merger Talks

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Lotte-Yakult Merger Talks
Well, it seems that the Mr. Watanabe is getting his way again, as www.SponichiAnnex.co.jp [URL did not resolve] are now reporting that Lotte and Yakult are in merger talks. As a Lotte Fan, I can honestly say that I am unhappy with all of this merger talk.

I have even read that Mr. Watanabe now wants the gaijin to be included in the 28 player protected list. This entire double merger deal looks as if Mr. Watanabe cannot beat Hanshin and Chunichi, then he will change the system to make sure he can get the best players.

Can any one tell me how, after all the dust has cleared, we will end up with a league that is stronger and with a more balanced race for the title and not just the Giants working the system for their gain?

Japanese news story - www.sponichiannex.co.jp on the front page.

English news story - JapanBaseballDaily merger page.

2005 Season
Central Division 04 win%
----------------------------------
1. Chunichi Dragons .585
2. Hanshin Tigers .507
3. Hiroshima Carp .478
4. Yokohama Bay Stars .446
5. Yomiuri Giants .500

Pacific Division 04 win%
----------------------------------
1. Daiei Hawks .627
2. Lotte Swallows .465 (avg of merger tms)
3. Nippon Ham Fighters .466
4. Orix Buffaloes .425 (avg of merger tms)
5. Seibu Lions .608

Future mergers?

Yokohama/Daiei into Fukuoka Bay Hawks
Hiroshima/Seibu into Seibu Carp

Don`t laugh. If Mr. Watanabe gets his way it just may be your team next he strong arms into a merger next.

Comments
Re: Lotte-Yakult Merger Talks
[ Author: Michael | Posted: Jul 4, 2004 10:19 AM | CLM Fan ]

I am sorry about the mix up with the Japanese address. However, this is the address to the main site that I found the article. [Here is a working link to the article.]

My Japanese is still not very good, so I use Translators as much as possible to help me fill in the gaps.
Re: Lotte-Yakult Merger Talks
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Jul 7, 2004 8:38 AM | YAK Fan ]

I think the Yakult-Lotte merger rumors have died out now. I remember reading an article in the paper the next day that said the Yakult Swallows announced on their home page that they were not in merger talks with anyone (which is good for me 'cause I'll still have my home away from home .

Now, the latest rumor surfacing from Sankei Sports is that Lotte will be merging with Yokohama. Here's a link to the article on Yahoo! Japan, [Link]
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.