Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Players Say Wait, Owners Move Foward

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Players Say Wait, Owners Move Foward
Representatives for the players of the 12 teams met at a Tokyo hotel yesterday (July 5) to discuss the upcoming merger of Orix and Kintetsu. The players have come out very much against the merger and would like the decision to be postponed for a year as there hasn't been enough time for any kind of informative discussion on the matter.

My ability to read business Japanese is poor at best, but the impression I get from much of the body of page one of today's Nikkan Sports is that a representative for management was there to explain the reasons behind the merger. This marks the first time management has spoken with the players directly since the announcement on June 13. Whoever it was who represented management appears to have been torn apart by Yakult's Furuta who asked important questions, to which the only reply was "it's too late (to stop the merger)." The players have stated that, if the owners approve the merger on July 7, that they will appeal the ruling to the Commissioner or a third party. (Don't they know that the Commissioner is nothing but Watanabe-owner's puppet?)

On Sunday, Horie-president (Live Door) attended the Kintetsu vs. Orix game at Osaka Dome where he had a hot dog and beer with the fans. Mid way through the game he left his seat behind the Buff's dugout and headed over the the oen-dan seats beyond the right field fense. There he got a "Horie Call" by the fans, a call generally reserved for players who drive in runs as they return to their positions after an inning. Nikkan Sports reports that that was a first for a non-player or manager at Osaka Dome. After the game, Horie gave a short speach outside the park, hitting the nail on the head when he said that this whole situation shows the distance that owners are from their fan base.

Owners' reaction? They said that they're making progress with the duel home ground issue and the number of players who can be retained. In other words, they ignored Horie's demonstration entirely, and didn't even acknowledge his existence. They've got their blinders on and have no desire to broaden their tunnel vision.

Owner representatives also met on Monday, in parallel with the players (not together). In an attempt to push this through before anything else can interfere, Hanshin has agreed to allow the merged team to have duel home turf of Osaka and Kobe for three years after which they've got to choose one or the other. Also, the Cenral League had a problem with 28 reserved players, so they've compromised to 25 excluding first and second year players and foreigners. (By excluding freshmen, that appears to expand the reserves to me. Or can they not protect the first and second year players? I don't understand this compromise.)

As for a strike, Furuta-chairman said that they aren't even thinking about it. But vice-chair Takahashi Yoshinobu (Giants) said that it isn't rulled out. If any player other than a Giant had said it, it would hardly have been of news. But can a Giant player say such a thing with the wrath of Watanabe hanging over his head?

Next big event is the owners' meeting tomorrow (July 7).
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.