Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Pro Yakyu Game of the Week: 8/29

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Pro Yakyu Game of the Week: 8/29
The only game available tonight in its entirely is the Hiroshima Carp at Koshien (Hanshin Tigers). The BayStars are at Nagoya Dome (Chunichi Dragons) starting at 3:00 this afternoon, too early for most of you. The Giants at Jingu (Yakult Swallows) starts the broadcast late and most likely finishes early. (You experienced the cut-off early part last week.) I don't get the three Pacific League games, the only nighter being the Daiei Hawks at Seibu Dome (vs. Seibu Lions).

Let me know which game you'd like before game time. The game at Jingu may be rained out if the cold, rainy weather today in the Kanto area continues. According to the newspaper, Koshien is expecting cloudy weather. So, the earlier game at Nagoya Dome may be the only one available tonight. If the other two are announced to be rained out by 3:00 pm JST, I'll do the Nagoya Dome game early. Otherwise, the game at Koshien will be the highest priority, pending your votes.

So, come on back around 3:00 JST to check, or 6:00 as usual for the Game of the Week here. Hope to see you there.
Comments
Re: Pro Yakyu Game of the Week: 8/29
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Aug 29, 2004 2:45 PM | YBS Fan ]

Checking Yahoo! Sports Japan (in Japanese), the Giants vs. Yakult game has been cancelled due to rain as of 2:35.
Run End Hit
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Aug 30, 2004 7:30 PM | YBS Fan ]

It was asked what "run end hit" was lastnight, and I'd never heard the term before. So I did some Googling this evening and came up with the answer:

It's similar to a "hit end run" (aka "hit and run"), but whereas the batter must swing in the latter, that condition is not part of the former. So, the runner runs, but the batter has the choice of swinging or not.

I'm really going to have to start work on my baseball vocabulary dictionary again one of these days. (I had a version back in 1997, but didn't port it over to this site when I moved.)
Re: Pro Yakyu Game of the Week: 8/29
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Aug 29, 2004 10:40 PM | YBS Fan ]

This game got a bit out of control in just a few innings. I really wish the Seibu hosting Daiei game was on TV as it was close to the end.

TRANSCRIPT generated on: 2004/08/29 22:33
CHATROOM: Game of the Week/Hiroshima Toyo Carp vs. Hanshin Tigers
MODERATORS: westbaystars

17:59: westbaystars: Olympic members have returned to their respective line-ups today.
18:00: westbaystars: Chunichi's Fukudome hit a big two-run home run against Yokohama which, so far has been the difference as
18:00: westbaystars: ... Chunichi leads 3-2 right now.
18:00: westbaystars: ---
18:00: westbaystars: Top of First.
18:00: westbaystars: ---
18:01: westbaystars: Ogata leads off drilling the ball up the left field line.
18:02: westbaystars: As he slides into second, the throw back from the rebound off the left field fense is a strike to second.
18:02: westbaystars: The touch, he's out of there!
18:04: westbaystars: The other Ogata, Yoshinori (Kanji is different), grounds out to third.
18:04: westbaystars: And Shima grounds out to short to retire the side in order.
18:04: westbaystars: That was a very fast 1-2-3 inning.
18:05: westbaystars: I don't think that Santoh even threw six pitches.
18:05: westbaystars: ---
18:05: westbaystars: Bottom of First
18:05: westbaystars: ---
18:06: westbaystars: Akahoshi leads off against Hiroshima starter Nagakawa.
18:08: westbaystars: Akahoshi grounds out with the count full to second base for the first out.
18:08: westbaystars: He's one you don't want to let on base.
18:09: westbaystars: That brings up Sekimoto.
18:09: westbaystars: Sekimoto grounds the ball to second, just about the same spot as Akahoshi, ...
18:10: westbaystars: ... with Y. Ogata moving a little to his left to field the ball and throw the runner out.
18:10: westbaystars: Imaoka follows.
18:10: westbaystars: And Nagakawa strikes him out looking at strike three.
18:10: westbaystars: San-kyu shoubu. Struck him out on three pitches.
18:10: westbaystars: I like to see that.
18:11: westbaystars: At the end of one complete, we have yet to have a base runner.
18:11: westbaystars: ---
18:11: westbaystars: Top of Second
18:11: westbaystars: ---
18:11: westbaystars: *** Yokohama now trails Chunichi 2-6 in the top of the nineth.
18:12: westbaystars: *** Daiei got a number of base runners on, but failed to score in the first against Seibu.
18:12: westbaystars: LaRocca leads off the second for Hiroshima.
18:13: westbaystars: He fouls strike two off his left foot and is limping around a big.
18:13: westbaystars: The count is two strikes, one ball.
18:14: westbaystars: The trainer is talking with him while LaRocca walks it off.
18:14: westbaystars: Both are smiling, and LaRocca gets his bat and steps back in.
18:14: westbaystars: The next pitch is drilled through the right side of the infield into right field.
18:15: westbaystars: LaRocca arrives at first with a little limp, still.
18:15: westbaystars: I don't expect him to be running.
18:15: westbaystars: Maeda stands in.
18:16: westbaystars: *** Kintetsu won in 10 innings over Lotte 3-2.
18:17: westbaystars: After three straight balls, Santoh throws two strikes to run the count full.
18:17: westbaystars: Maeda thought he had ball four, but the umpire didn't agree.
18:17: westbaystars: The shoubu pitch is swung on and missed, strike three.
18:18: westbaystars: That's the first out of the inning.
18:18: westbaystars: Sheets comes up to the plate.
18:19: westbaystars: Again, Santoh can't find the strike zone and throws three straight balls.
18:19: westbaystars: The next pitch is taken down the middle for strike one.
18:19: westbaystars: And the fifth pitch misses for ball four.
18:19: westbaystars: Hiroshima has runners at first and second with nobody out.
18:20: westbaystars: *** Seibu gets a base runner, but no score in the bottom of the first.
18:20: westbaystars: Kurihara is handcuffed, hitting the ball weakly toward second.
18:21: westbaystars: Imaoka's only play is to first, where he records the second out of the inning.
18:21: westbaystars: The runners move up to second and third.
18:21: westbaystars: Ishihara comes up to bat.
18:22: westbaystars: Ishihara hits a high chopper to first.
18:23: westbaystars: Arias waits for the ball to come down, scoops it to Santoh, and the side is retired.
18:23: westbaystars: Hiroshima threatens, but fails to score.
18:23: westbaystars: ---
18:23: westbaystars: Bottom of Second
18:23: westbaystars: ---
18:24: westbaystars: *** Yokohama scored two in the nineth, but it wasn't enough, losing 4-6 to Chunichi.
18:24: westbaystars: Kanemoto, who made that great throw in the top of the first, leads off.
18:28: westbaystars: With the count full, Kanemoto reaches out and hits the ball back up the middle, base hit.
18:28: westbaystars: He's the first Tiger base runner of the evening.
18:28: westbaystars: Hiyama stands in.
18:29: westbaystars: And he swings at the first pitch.
18:29: westbaystars: It's going, going, haittaaaaaaa!
18:29: westbaystars: To straight away center field, Hiyama hits a lead taking two run home run.
18:29: westbaystars: Hanshin takes a 2-0 lead.
18:30: westbaystars: Yano comes up next.
18:31: westbaystars: *** Daiei gets a runner but fails to score in the second.
18:31: westbaystars: Yano lifts the ball to left field, and it fall in just in front of Maeda.
18:32: westbaystars: Arias follows. This is a strange order.
18:34: westbaystars: Arias looks at strike three for the first out.
18:34: westbaystars: Fujimoto, back from Athens, steps in next.
18:35: westbaystars: The ball gets away from Ishihara behind the plate, and Yano heads to second.
18:35: westbaystars: The 1-1 pitch is also thrown to the backstop.
18:36: westbaystars: But the ball bounced right back to Ishihara who fired to third!
18:36: westbaystars: The play is close, but Yano is called safe.
18:36: westbaystars: I'm not so sure, but it was close.
18:36: westbaystars: Next pitch is taken for ball three, a one bounder to Ishihara.
18:37: westbaystars: Nagakawa is having control problems.
18:37: westbaystars: The next pitch is high and away, ball four.
18:37: westbaystars: That puts runners at first and third with one out and pitcher Santoh at the plate.
18:38: westbaystars: *** Seibu scores the first run of the game at Seibu Dome.
18:39: westbaystars: Santoh goes the other way with a line drive just over Sheet's jumping stab.
18:39: westbaystars: Base hit!
18:39: westbaystars: Yano scores the third Hanshin run from third easilly.
18:39: westbaystars: Runners now at first and second with one out and the top of the order in Akahoshi at the plate.
18:40: westbaystars: *** A sacrifice fly brings in Seibu's second run of the second.
18:40: westbaystars: *** Seibu now leads 2-0.
18:41: westbaystars: *** No, that wasn't a sac. fly. It was a base hit.
18:41: westbaystars: Akahoshi lines out to center for the second out.
18:42: westbaystars: *** Seibu has nobody out with runners at first and second in the bottom of the second.
18:42: westbaystars: *** Make that one out, Johjima just picked off the runner at second.
18:42: westbaystars: Sekimoto comes up.
18:43: MHtrStevie: Konbanwa, Westbay-san!
18:43: westbaystars: Ohayo gozaimasu, Stevie.
18:44: westbaystars: Sekimoto lines the ball deep to right, but Shima has it gaged and makes the catch.
18:44: westbaystars: That's the third out of the inning.
18:45: westbaystars: But Hanshin scores first and lead 3-0 after two complete.
18:45: westbaystars: ---
18:45: westbaystars: Top of Third
18:45: westbaystars: ---
18:46: westbaystars: *** Seibu retired at last. They lead 2-0 after two complete.
18:46: westbaystars: If you want to watch the Seibu game on the Internet, it's available here:
18:46: westbaystars: http://www.bcast.co.jp/webevents/yahoo/sports/baseball/lions.asx
18:46: westbaystars: I've got it in my upper-left hand corner.
18:47: westbaystars: The Open Source player VLC (Video Lan Client) can handle this codec.
18:47: westbaystars: Pitcher Nagakawa leads off the third for Hiroshima.
18:48: westbaystars: With the count full, Nagakawa swings and misses an outside and high pitch.
18:49: westbaystars: One out.
18:49: westbaystars: *** Lead-off Hawk in the third gets on.
18:50: westbaystars: Koichi Ogata gives the ball a ride, but Hiyama has it at the warning track in right.
18:50: westbaystars: That brings up Yoshinori Ogata.
18:51: westbaystars: Who promptly grounds out to retire the side in order.
18:51: westbaystars: ---
18:51: westbaystars: Bottom of Third
18:51: westbaystars: ---
18:51: westbaystars: *** Runner got to third with one out.
18:52: westbaystars: *** Base hit, score! Hawks are on the board.
18:53: westbaystars: *** That's their second run, so the game is now tied 2-2.
18:53: westbaystars: Imaoka grounds the ball to second.
18:53: westbaystars: But Y. Ogata mis-plays the ball on a hop, the ball taking off toward center.
18:54: westbaystars: Imaoka gets a "irregular" base hit.
18:54: westbaystars: That brings up Kanemoto.
18:54: westbaystars: *** Bloop single by Johjima. Runners now at first and second with one out.
18:55: MHStevie: Hanshin's been on quite a tear recently...
18:55: westbaystars: Kanemoto lines the ball into right, one bound, base hit!
18:56: westbaystars: Yea, Hanshin's trying to get back in the race.
18:56: westbaystars: Runners at first and second, nobody out, Hiyama at the plate.
18:56: westbaystars: And the first pitch is lifted deep.
18:56: westbaystars: It's kind of high.
18:56: westbaystars: But it just goes into the stands at the pole. Home run!
18:57: westbaystars: Hanshin takes a commanding 5-0 lead.
18:57: westbaystars: Hiyama has now hit home runs in his last three at bats, going back to last night's game.
18:57: westbaystars: Both home runs today were on the first pitch.
18:57: MHStevie: I thought there were two baserunners...
18:57: westbaystars: Yano comes up next.
18:58: westbaystars: Yes, didn't I say 3-run home run?
18:58: westbaystars: Oh, it's 6-0.
18:58: westbaystars: Had the Seibu-Hawks game on my mind.
18:58: westbaystars: *** Bases loaded, one out for Daiei.
18:59: westbaystars: With the count full, Yano grounds the ball to Sheets at short.
18:59: MHStevie: That's what I was wondering about... thought it would be 6-0 after that HR...
18:59: westbaystars: He's got an easy throw to first for the first out of the inning.
19:00: westbaystars: Please feel free to correct me when I do that. I do it too often, I'm afraid.
19:01: westbaystars: *** Yamazaki gets Valdez swinging. Two outs.
19:01: westbaystars: Arias at the plate.
19:01: westbaystars: And he goes down swinging.
19:02: westbaystars: *** Two run base hit. Hawks turn the game around and now lead 4-2.
19:02: westbaystars: Fujimoto lines the ball through the right side of the infield and into right for a base hit.
19:03: westbaystars: *** That's the end for Yamazaki.
19:03: westbaystars: *** He doesn't complete three.
19:04: westbaystars: Pitcher Santoh gets his second hit of the evening, pulling a base hit to right.
19:04: westbaystars: *** Mori in to pitch for the Lions.
19:04: westbaystars: Akahoshi grounds the first pitch to Sheets, who throws to second for the fource.
19:05: westbaystars: Three outs.
19:05: westbaystars: But Hiyama's big three run home run puts Hanshin up 6-0.
19:05: westbaystars: ---
19:05: westbaystars: Top of Fourth
19:05: westbaystars: ---
19:08: westbaystars: Shima leads off the fourth for the Carp.
19:08: westbaystars: He lifts the ball to left.
19:08: westbaystars: Kanemoto goes over, looks up, the ball hits the pole.
19:08: westbaystars: Home run!
19:08: westbaystars: *** Mori retires the side. But Daiei scores four to take a 4-2 lead.
19:09: westbaystars: Hiroshima gets on the board and now trail by five.
19:09: westbaystars: LaRocca stands in next.
19:10: westbaystars: LaRocca grounds a big hopping grounder that Sekimoto fails to field cleanly at third.
19:10: westbaystars: Sekimoto grabs the ball, is up and throwing, too late!
19:10: westbaystars: LaRocca beat out the throw, not showing the limp he had in the second after fouling a pitch off his foot.
19:11: westbaystars: That brings up Maeda.
19:12: westbaystars: Maeda works the count full.
19:13: westbaystars: Then strikes out swinging at a fork ball.
19:13: westbaystars: That's the first out of the inning for Hiroshima.
19:13: westbaystars: And it brings up Sheets.
19:15: westbaystars: And he works the count full as well.
19:15: westbaystars: The shoubu pitch is taken for ball four.
19:15: westbaystars: Hiroshima has runners at first and second with one out.
19:16: westbaystars: Kurihara is coming to the plate.
19:16: westbaystars: *** Seibu has their first to batters on base.
19:16: westbaystars: *** Long fly out for out number one.
19:18: westbaystars: Santoh's fork ball gets Kurihara fishing for the ball outside.
19:18: westbaystars: Two down.
19:18: westbaystars: Ishihara stands in.
19:19: westbaystars: After two quick strikes to Ishihara, Santoh misses outside for ball one.
19:20: westbaystars: After a foul ball, Ishihara lifts the ball to the right side.
19:20: westbaystars: Imaoka goes back, fights the wind, and makes the catch.
19:20: westbaystars: Hiroshima got a lead-off home run by Shima, but that was it.
19:21: westbaystars: Going to the bottom of the fourth, Hiroshima cut Hanshin's lead to 5-1.
19:21: westbaystars: ---
19:21: westbaystars: Bottom of Fourth
19:21: westbaystars: ---
19:21: westbaystars: *** Two down, runners still at first and second, Cabrera comes up.
19:22: westbaystars: *** The Internet broadcast is small, but I can make out a few people, like Cabu-chan.
19:22: MHStevie: That should be 6-1, right?
19:23: westbaystars: Right. 6-1.
19:23: westbaystars: Why do I keep taking a run away from Hanshin?
19:23: westbaystars: *** Cabrera doesn't come through, the side is retired.
19:23: westbaystars: *** End of three innings: Daiei 4 - 2 Seibu.
19:24: westbaystars: Sekimoto leads off for Hanshin.
19:25: westbaystars: He grounds out to Sheets for the first out of the inning.
19:25: westbaystars: Imaoka follows.
19:27: westbaystars: I see that Hayashi is in to pitch now for Hiroshima.
19:27: westbaystars: And he walks Imaoka for a one out base runner.
19:28: westbaystars: Kanemoto comes up, one home run short of reaching 30 for the first time in four years.
19:28: westbaystars: *** Hawks get a 2-out base runner in the top of fourth.
19:29: westbaystars: Hayashi hits Kanemoto on his lower legs, just below his knee.
19:29: westbaystars: That brings up Hiyama, who's hit a home run in each of his last three at bats, two of them this evening.
19:31: westbaystars: But he lines the ball right at Kurihara at third.
19:31: westbaystars: Kurihara turns, fires the ball to second, just to late as the base runner returns.
19:32: westbaystars: *** Daiei fails to score.
19:34: westbaystars: With the cound full and the runners going, Yano draws a walk to load the bases.
19:34: westbaystars: That will bring up Arias.
19:34: westbaystars: *** Nippon Ham defeated Lotte 8-1.
19:36: westbaystars: Arias broke his bat with a foul ball on a 2-2 pitch.
19:36: westbaystars: He gets another bat and stands back in.
19:38: westbaystars: After another foul ball, George lines the ball right back at Hayashi, past him, and into center field.
19:38: westbaystars: One run in. Two runs in.
19:38: westbaystars: Hanshin take a, let's see, ..., 8-1 lead.
19:39: westbaystars: *** Seibu fails to score in the fourth. Score remains: Daiei 4 - 2 Seibu.
19:39: MHtrStevie: Heh heh... I think that's right.
19:40: MHtrStevie: *** Kintetsu edged the Marines in 10 innings, 3-2.
19:40: westbaystars: We've got a long pause here at Koshien. Hayashi appears to be awaiting the relief car with Satake.
19:40: westbaystars: *** Oh. Then who did the Fighters beat? Orix. That was it.
19:42: westbaystars: Satake is done warming up. He'll face Fujimoto to start off with.
19:42: westbaystars: With runners at first and second and two outs.
19:44: westbaystars: Fujimoto lifts the ball to left, but Maeda has no trouble coming in to make the catch.
19:44: westbaystars: That retires the side.
19:45: westbaystars: But not before Hanshin add another pair of runs to take a commanding 8-1 lead.
19:45: westbaystars: ---
19:45: westbaystars: Top of Fifth
19:45: westbaystars: ---
19:47: westbaystars: Arai comes up as a pinch hitter to lead off the fifth.
19:47: westbaystars: And he bloops the first pitch from Santoh into left for a base hit.
19:47: westbaystars: K. Ogata then grounds the second pitch of the inning up the middle.
19:48: westbaystars: Fujimoto tries to make a strange sliding catch of the ball going toward center, and misses!
19:48: westbaystars: Arai kicks second and heads for third before Akahoshi can get the ball.
19:48: westbaystars: Hiroshima has nobody out with runners at the corners.
19:49: westbaystars: Y. Ogata hits the ball deep to left.
19:49: westbaystars: This will score the runner from third.
19:49: westbaystars: Kanemoto makes the catch, and throws the ball back in to second.
19:49: westbaystars: Hiroshima now trails by six, 8-2.
19:50: westbaystars: Shima, who accounts for Hiroshima's only other run with his earlier homer, comes up to bat.
19:51: westbaystars: *** Daiei has runners at first and second with one out.
19:51: westbaystars: But Shima grounds into a 6-3 double play to end the inning, Fujimoto fielding the ball on top of the second base bag.
19:52: westbaystars: Hiroshima got another run, but still trail 8-2.
19:52: westbaystars: *** Johjima picked off of second.
19:52: westbaystars: ---
19:52: westbaystars: Bottom of Fifth
19:52: westbaystars: ---
19:54: westbaystars: *** Valdez draws a walk to put runners at first and second with two outs.
19:55: westbaystars: Since Satake was pinch hit for, Hirose comes in to pitch for Hiroshima.
19:55: westbaystars: He first faces opposing pitcher Santoh, who has a pair of base hits this evening.
19:56: westbaystars: But he fails to hit this time, going down on strikes.
19:56: westbaystars: *** Mori gets out of the inning.
19:57: westbaystars: Akahoshi grounds the ball to Kurihara at third.
19:57: westbaystars: The ball bounces off his chest, and by the time he picks it up, he can't get the speedy Akahoshi.
19:57: westbaystars: With 42 stolen bases on the year, he's a serious threat to be running.
19:57: westbaystars: Sekimoto stands in.
19:58: westbaystars: The next most stolen bases is is Chunichi's Araki with 30.
19:59: westbaystars: ... is is ... should be .. in the Central League is ...
20:00: westbaystars: Sekimoto hits the ball off of Hirose's glove hand - looked like his wrist.
20:00: westbaystars: By the time anyone could get to the ball, that bounced toward first base, both base runners were safe.
20:01: westbaystars: That brings up Imaoka with one out and runners at first and second.
20:01: westbaystars: He grounds the first pitch up the middle, past a diving Sheets, and into center field!
20:01: westbaystars: Akahoshi doesn't slow down until he's well past home plate.
20:02: westbaystars: Hanshin takes a 9-2 lead.
20:02: westbaystars: Runners at first and second still, with one out and Kanemoto at the plate.
20:03: westbaystars: Kanemoto lifts the ball to left, sending a shout of excitement through the stands.
20:03: westbaystars: But it's not deep enough as Maeda comes in a step to get it.
20:03: westbaystars: Two down.
20:03: westbaystars: Hiyama, with a pair of homers on the night, comes up.
20:05: westbaystars: Hiyama lines to ball to right. It's got the trajectory!
20:05: westbaystars: Shima goes back, at the warning track lifts his glove, and it's off his glove!
20:05: westbaystars: One runs scores.
20:05: westbaystars: Two runs score.
20:06: westbaystars: Hiyama goes into third with a two-run triple.
20:06: westbaystars: The wind was going the wrong way for him.
20:06: westbaystars: No, not a triple, a three base error, it's ruled.
20:06: westbaystars: Hanshin now leads 11-2.
20:07: westbaystars: With two strikes on him, Yano is called out by the first base umpire for swinging at an outside pitch.
20:07: westbaystars: That reitres the side.
20:08: westbaystars: But not before Hanshin added three more to take an 11-2 lead.
20:08: westbaystars: ---
20:08: westbaystars: Top of Sixth
20:08: westbaystars: ---
20:11: westbaystars: LaRocca leads off the inning hitting Santoh's first pitch right back at him.
20:12: westbaystars: The ball was off his front thigh.
20:12: westbaystars: Right side.
20:12: westbaystars: He's gone into the dugout for a quick exam, it looks like.
20:13: westbaystars: And Sajikihara is up in the Hanshin bullpen.
20:13: westbaystars: But Santoh just came back out of the dugout and looks OK.
20:13: westbaystars: He takes a couple of pitches, and it's confirmed.
20:13: westbaystars: *** Seibu failed to score.
20:14: westbaystars: *** Osada in to pitch for the Lions.
20:14: westbaystars: Sekimoto fails to play a wind blown foul ball by Maeda.
20:14: westbaystars: And the next pitch is hit up the middle for a base hit.
20:15: westbaystars: *** Daiei down in order in the sixth.
20:15: westbaystars: That brings up Sheets.
20:15: westbaystars: Who also lines the ball up the middle for back to back base hits.
20:16: westbaystars: Hanshin's pitching coach heads out to talk with Santoh.
20:16: westbaystars: Satoh-pitching coach just gives him a few words and heads back to the dugout.
20:17: westbaystars: That brings up Kurihara.
20:19: westbaystars: Kurihara grounds the ball to the left side.
20:20: westbaystars: Sekimoto fields the ball right next to Maeda, but he doesn't touch him and instead throws to second for the force.
20:21: westbaystars: Ishihara follows with a long fly ball to center, but only as far as the warning track.
20:21: westbaystars: Akahoshi has it and the side is retired.
20:21: westbaystars: Hiroshima put on a couple of base runners, but failed to get any across.
20:22: westbaystars: Going to the bottom of the sixth, Hanshin still leads 11-2.
20:22: westbaystars: ---
20:22: westbaystars: Bottom of Sixth
20:22: westbaystars: ---
20:23: westbaystars: *** Seibu scores one on Cabrera double.
20:24: westbaystars: Arias leads off against Hiroike (incorrectly called Hirose last inning).
20:25: westbaystars: *** Daiei starting pitcher Kurano comes out.
20:26: westbaystars: I missed how Arias made out, but Fujimoto grounded out to second for out number two.
20:26: westbaystars: Toritani now comes in to pinch hit for Santoh.
20:27: westbaystars: Toritani lifts the ball to left, but where Maeda has no problem bringing it in.
20:27: westbaystars: Hanshin is retired in order.
20:28: westbaystars: *** Cabrera moves to third on fly out to right. Two outs.
20:28: westbaystars: ---
20:28: westbaystars: Top of Seventh
20:28: westbaystars: ---
20:29: westbaystars: *** Long fly ball to center retires the Lions' threat.
20:29: westbaystars: *** But Seibu came within one, and train 3-4 at the end of six complete.
20:29: MHStevie: Greetings, mijow!
20:30: westbaystars: *** ... trail 3-4 ...
20:30: westbaystars: Hi, Mijow-san.
20:30: westbaystars: We have Hanshin making a strong bid for 8 in a row, leading 11-2 after six complete.
20:31: mijow: Hi - I just thought I'd check in and see how the Tigers were doing.
20:31: westbaystars: Fujikawa is in to pitch for Hiroshima.
20:31: mijow: What happened in the fifth, BTW?
20:31: westbaystars: Y. Yamamoto pinch hits to lead off the inning.
20:32: westbaystars: And he grounds out to Sekimoto who is now playing first, unassisted.
20:33: westbaystars: That brings up K. Ogata.
20:35: westbaystars: Ooo. That was a long time ago. Hiroshima scores one on a sacrifice fly.
20:35: westbaystars: I missed it, but the veteran Ogata is out. I didn't look away that long.
20:36: westbaystars: Rookie Y. Ogata is now at the plate.
20:37: westbaystars: And rookie Ogata strikes out swinging at a fork ball to retire the side.
20:37: westbaystars: That brings us to Hanshin's Lucky Seven.
20:37: westbaystars: *** Daiei fails to score in the seventh.
20:37: westbaystars: ---
20:37: westbaystars: Bottom of Seventh
20:38: westbaystars: ---
20:38: westbaystars: Hanshin scored a couple of Hiyama's big hit to right that Shima failed to catch.
20:39: westbaystars: Amano comes in to pitch for Hiroshima.
20:39: mijow: So Hiyama's on fire tonight.
20:39: habs: Good morning/evening everyone
20:40: MHStevie: Greetings, habs!
20:40: westbaystars: Howdy, Habs-san.
20:40: westbaystars: Hiyama hit home runs his first two at bats, accounting for five of Hanshin's first six runs.
20:40: westbaystars: *** Nakajima hit a game tying home run. Daiei 4 - 4 Seibu.
20:41: westbaystars: Akahoshi leads off the inning grounding the ball past two diving infielders on the left side.
20:42: westbaystars: He's not someone the Carp want on base.
20:42: westbaystars: And the first pitch is in the dirt. With the ball off of Ishihara's chest, Akahoshi is off to second.
20:42: westbaystars: The throw is not in time, safe!
20:43: westbaystars: Sekimoto is the batter, by the way.
20:43: westbaystars: The announcers are commenting that fans would be booing if someone stole a base with such a lead.
20:44: westbaystars: Sekimoto grounds the ball to third. It looks foul to me.
20:44: westbaystars: One umpire is calling it foul, another fair.
20:44: westbaystars: Sekimoto is thrown out if it's foul.
20:44: westbaystars: Sorry, if it's fair.
20:45: westbaystars: But it's ruled foul and the count is full.
20:45: westbaystars: The next pitch misses, and Sekimoto heads to first.
20:45: westbaystars: That puts runners at first and second with Imaoka coming to the plate.
20:45: westbaystars: Imaoka has a five game hitting streak, with two hits and an RBI this evening.
20:46: westbaystars: Imaoka reaches for the first pitch way outside, pulls it toward third.
20:46: westbaystars: The throw to first is a long one bounder, played well for the out.
20:46: westbaystars: The two runners move up to second and third.
20:47: westbaystars: That brings up Kanemoto, tied for third with 88 RBIs.
20:48: westbaystars: *** Seibu is retired, but tied the game. At the end of seven complete, Daiei 4 - 4 Seibu.
20:48: westbaystars: Kanemoto lines the ball back up the middle, base hit!
20:48: westbaystars: Akahoshi scores. Sekimoto scores.
20:49: westbaystars: That gives Kanemoto 90 RBIs on the year, in third all by himself, now.
20:49: westbaystars: And the Tigers take a 13-2 lead.
20:50: westbaystars: Hiyama isn't swinging at the first pitch, taking for ball one.
20:50: westbaystars: After fouling one off, he grounds the ball off Kurihara at first.
20:50: westbaystars: Kurihara recovers in time to get the out at first.
20:50: westbaystars: That puts a runner at second with two outs.
20:51: westbaystars: Yano is at the plate.
20:52: westbaystars: Yano drives the ball deep to left.
20:52: MHStevie: These two teams are going in completely opposite directions...
20:52: westbaystars: Haittaaaaaaa!
20:52: westbaystars: Home run.
20:52: westbaystars: That two run shot puts Hanshin up 15-2.
20:53: MHStevie: WOW! This is quite a beating in progress...
20:53: westbaystars: Katsuragi grounds the first pitch to him up the first base line and into the corner.
20:54: westbaystars: It's ruled an error on Kurihara for failing to field the ball.
20:54: westbaystars: But he's standing on second, nonetheless.
20:54: westbaystars: I'm not sure if Katsuragi was a pitch hitter of if he came in defensively last inning.
20:55: westbaystars: There were some position changes last inning.
20:55: westbaystars: Fujimoto then bloops the ball to right, in between three fielders it drops.
20:55: westbaystars: Katsuragi scores Hanshin's 16th run from second.
20:56: westbaystars: This doesn't end.
20:56: westbaystars: Amano is still out there on the mound with no coach coming out to help him in sight.
20:56: westbaystars: Toritani comes up.
20:57: westbaystars: Toritani lifts the ball just left of center.
20:57: westbaystars: But well within Ogata's range.
20:57: westbaystars: The side is finally retired.
20:58: westbaystars: And when the dust settles, Hanshin leads 16-2 after seven complete.
20:58: westbaystars: ---
20:58: westbaystars: Top of Eighth
20:58: westbaystars: ---
20:58: habs: That was one long ininng.
20:58: westbaystars: *** The Seibu Internet broadcast appears to have ended.
21:00: westbaystars: Y. Nakamura comes in to pitch for Hiroshima.
21:01: MHStevie: *** That game was still knotted at 4, right?
21:01: westbaystars: And the first batter he faces, Shima, grounds out to Sekimoto who fields the ball and touches ...
21:01: westbaystars: ... Shima as he goes by.
21:01: westbaystars: *** That was the last I saw.
21:03: westbaystars: Nakamura runs the count full to Higashide, who came in defensively earlier.
21:03: westbaystars: And he gets Higashide on strikes, two quick outs.
21:04: westbaystars: Kura is pinch hitting for the pitcher, who was moved to the number five slot earlier.
21:05: westbaystars: That's why Amano was probably left in so long.
21:05: westbaystars: Kura goes down swinging, and Hiroshima is down in order.
21:05: westbaystars: That was a quick half inning aver a very long one.
21:05: westbaystars: ---
21:05: westbaystars: Bottom of Eighth
21:05: westbaystars: ---
21:07: westbaystars: In to pitch for Hiroshima is K. Kobayashi.
21:08: westbaystars: The top of Hanshin's order in Akahoshi leads off the eighth inning.
21:10: MHStevie: *** Daiei has runners on the corners with one out and 3B Torigoe (?) at bat...
21:10: westbaystars: Akahoshi slaps the ball to the left side, but Sheets makes a short hop to bring the ball in.
21:10: westbaystars: One out.
21:10: westbaystars: Sekimoto comes to bat.
21:11: westbaystars: *** Confirmation: Torigoe is an infielder.
21:11: westbaystars: Sekimoto lines the ball up the third base line, fair!
21:11: westbaystars: At the ball comes into second, Sekimoto slides in, safe.
21:12: westbaystars: One out double.
21:13: westbaystars: That brings up Shuta, who appears to have come in earlier to play second.
21:13: westbaystars: Hanshin's getting a lot of their bench players in there now.
21:14: MHStevie: *** If I give player numbers, can you give names? I'll keep an eye on the Lions-Hawks game...
21:14: westbaystars: Hawk numbers are here: http://www.japanesebaseball.com/teams/team.jsp?TeamID=FDH
21:15: westbaystars: Lions are here: http://www.japanesebaseball.com/teams/team.jsp?TeamID=SL
21:15: westbaystars: *** Print these out and you'll be good to go.
21:16: westbaystars: Shuta goes down swinging on a full count pitch on the inside corner.
21:16: westbaystars: Two down.
21:17: westbaystars: That brings up Kanemoto, with three hits and two RBIs on the night.
21:17: MHStevie: *** OK, Kawasaki just singled in Valdes from third... Hawks take a 5-4 lead!
21:17: westbaystars: He also raised his average to just .300.
21:17: westbaystars: *** Yea! Gambare Daiei.
21:18: westbaystars: Kanemoto grounds the ball to Sheets at short.
21:19: westbaystars: Sheets is up, but doesn't throw the ball? Too deep, I guess.
21:19: westbaystars: The infield hit moves the runner to third.
21:19: westbaystars: That brings up Tachikawa as a pinch hitter.
21:20: MHStevie: *** All right... the Hawks are retired in the 8th, but not before taking the lead by one run.
21:22: westbaystars: After getting two quick strikes on Tachikawa, the rain starts and Kobayashi can't find the strike zone.
21:22: westbaystars: The count goes full.
21:23: westbaystars: The shoubu pitch is low and away, ball four.
21:23: westbaystars: That loads the bases with two down.
21:24: westbaystars: Yano, who hit a two run home run his last at bat, comes up.
21:24: westbaystars: And Kobayashi gets two quick strikes on him.
21:24: MHStevie: *** Bottom 8th: Wada (Seibu) reaches 1st on an error at 3B.
21:24: westbaystars: Kobayashi goes after him on the third pitch, but it's fouled away.
21:26: westbaystars: After a waste pitch, Yano grounds the ball off the third baseman.
21:26: westbaystars: Sheets fields it, throws to first in time, but ...
21:26: westbaystars: ... the throw pulls the first baseman off - safe!
21:26: westbaystars: The 17th Tiger crosses the plate.
21:28: westbaystars: Bases remain loaded with two outs for Katsuragi.
21:29: westbaystars: The count goes full.
21:29: MHStevie: *** Cabrera singled. Lions have runners at 1st and 2nd with no outs...
21:30: westbaystars: Katsuragi fouls off a couple of pitches.
21:30: westbaystars: The fans get excited over a long foul ball.
21:32: westbaystars: A couple more foul balls.
21:32: westbaystars: And, finally, a change-up swung on and missed.
21:33: westbaystars: That retires the side.
21:33: MHStevie: *** Now two outs for the Lions, and the runners haven't moved...
21:33: westbaystars: But not before Hanshin adds another run to increase their lead to 17-2 after eight complete.
21:33: westbaystars: ---
21:33: westbaystars: Top of Nineth
21:33: westbaystars: ---
21:34: westbaystars: Andoh comes in to close for the Tigers.
21:35: westbaystars: Andoh is also just returning from Athens like Fujimoto.
21:35: MHStevie: *** Nakajima works a walk to load the bases for Seibu.
21:35: westbaystars: There are a number of signs in the stands congratulating the two on the Bronze metal.
21:36: westbaystars: *** Argh.
21:36: westbaystars: Sheets leads off the last chance for the Carp.
21:36: westbaystars: He's walked twice and singled this evening.
21:37: westbaystars: But Andoh has him completely crosses up, watching strike three go by after having him fish for one outside.
21:37: westbaystars: Nice pitching.
21:37: westbaystars: One out.
21:37: westbaystars: That brings up Kurihara.
21:39: westbaystars: Kurihara works the count full.
21:40: westbaystars: Then he goes down swinging on a pitch on the inside corner.
21:40: westbaystars: Again, Andoh threw a great pitch to get the batter.
21:40: westbaystars: Two down.
21:40: MHStevie: *** PH Nakamura can't bring them home, though... Seibu is retired without scoring!
21:40: westbaystars: Ishihara comes up.
21:40: westbaystars: *** Phew.
21:41: westbaystars: Ishihara lifts the ball high to the infield.
21:41: westbaystars: The second baseman is under it, makes the catch, and the Carp are retired.
21:41: westbaystars: =====
21:41: westbaystars: Game Final
21:42: westbaystars: Hiroshima Toyo Carp 2 - 17 Hanshin Tigers
21:42: westbaystars: =====
21:42: westbaystars: Whew. That was a long one.
21:42: westbaystars: Hanshin had 19 hits on the night.
21:42: westbaystars: Hiroshima scores two runs on seven hits and committed three errors (to Hanshin's one error).
21:43: westbaystars: Hiyama and Santoh are the heros of the game.
21:43: westbaystars: Santoh got his first win at Koshien.
21:43: MHStevie: No kidding... that got pretty ugly for the Carp... Hiyama hurt them early and often.
21:44: westbaystars: Santoh not only pitched well, but had a couple of really good hits in there.
21:45: westbaystars: Hiyama takes the stand for the third time in a row this series.
21:46: westbaystars: With the win, I believe that Hanshin has managed to reach a .500 winning percentage.
21:46: westbaystars: The win being their 8th in a row.
21:48: westbaystars: They go against first place Chunichi and the third place Giants.
21:48: westbaystars: ... this coming week.
21:51: MHStevie: *** Daiei has a baserunner in Matsunaka, with one out in the top of the 9th.
21:51: westbaystars: Of course, they're still 3.5 games out behind both Yakult and the Giants.
21:51: MHStevie: Yeah, Hanshin needs a LOT more of this to get back into the thick of things...
21:53: westbaystars: Chunichi has been a problem for Hanshin this season, 9 and 14 against them.
21:53: westbaystars: But Hanshin has beat up on the Giants: 15 and 8 (1 tie).
21:53: MHStevie: *** Does Japan refer to the hit-and-run as "run-and-hit"?
21:54: westbaystars: *** No, it's usually called "end run" or "hit end run."
21:55: westbaystars: *** At least, that's what it sounds like.
21:55: MHStevie: *** OK, Yahoo! lists Johjima as drawing a walk with an "run-end-hit"...
21:57: westbaystars: *** That's the first I've heard it that way. Odd.
21:58: westbaystars: *** And a walk on a hit and run doesn't make sense.
21:58: westbaystars: *** Wouldn't he be swinging?
22:00: MHStevie: *** Maybe they just meant the hit and run was on, with Matsunaka running?
22:01: MHStevie: *** There's only one out, so normally the runner wouldn't be going...
22:02: MHStevie: *** Oooh... while I was away, Daiei's put up two more runs... they now lead 7-4!
22:03: westbaystars: *** Yea!
22:04: MHStevie: *** OK, after Johjima walked, Zuleta singled to load the bases...
22:04: MHStevie: *** Arakane then drew a walk to score one...
22:05: habs: You guys are doing a good job. I have to step out. See you next week.
22:05: westbaystars: See you then.
22:05: westbaystars: Take care.
22:06: MHStevie: *** Miyaji then singled to drive home another... 7-4.
22:07: MHStevie: *** PH Honma struck out... two outs.
22:08: MHStevie: *** OK, trying to catch up on this game... hold on.
22:11: MHStevie: *** All right, that was confusing... looks like another run scored on a wild pitch.
22:12: MHStevie: *** Kawasaki was the third out for Daiei, but the runner scored from 3rd during his at-bat.
22:12: westbaystars: *** Ah, on Kawasaki's at bat, the second pitch, the score all the way to the right changed.
22:13: MHStevie: *** Bottom 9: PH Akada homers to lead off... 8-5.
22:13: MHStevie: *** Yeah, that ball... I'm assuming a wild pitch there.
22:13: westbaystars: *** Aaaaa.
22:15: westbaystars: *** That's not a good way to close the game.
22:15: MHStevie: *** I don't see this guy on your Seibu roster... #46 G.G.
22:15: MHStevie: *** He drew a one-out walk.
22:16: westbaystars: *** G.G. Satoh.
22:16: MHStevie: *** Wada makes the second out... fly ball to 1st.
22:17: westbaystars: *** G. Satoh, he's listed as a catcher.
22:17: MHStevie: *** And Cabrera strikes out to end the game!
22:17: MHStevie: ----
22:17: MHStevie: Game Set
22:18: MHStevie: Seibu 5-8 Daiei
22:18: MHStevie: ----
22:18: westbaystars: OK. Seibu drops to 2.5 games out.
22:18: MHStevie: Did you look at that on Yahoo! too? I'm not quite live...
22:18: westbaystars: The match-up between Daiei and Seibu goes to Daiei 11 - 13 Seibu.
22:19: westbaystars: I did really quick to answer your questions.
22:19: westbaystars: Otherwise, I was waiting for you.
22:20: MHStevie: Heh heh... I appreciate you letting me do the commentary there.
22:21: MHStevie: It's especially tough while also handling a radio show... that's where I got behind... =)
22:21: westbaystars: Make sense. You did fine.
22:22: MHStevie: Cool... well, I figure it must be late where you are...
22:22: MHStevie: I just had one question before you go, though...
22:23: westbaystars: Shoot.
22:23: MHStevie: What's the next step in the fate of the PL? Which is the next big meeting, and when?
22:24: westbaystars: The Central League gave the 31st as the final date for a second merger.
22:25: westbaystars: If nothing happens by then, there'll definately be two leagues next year.
22:26: westbaystars: Orix and Kintetsu signed their deal, and still haven't justified their actions to the players.
22:26: westbaystars: Players are now seriously saying that a strike is inevitable.
22:27: MHStevie: Is there another players' meeting soon?
22:27: westbaystars: The owners will meet on September 8 to decide the fate.
22:28: westbaystars: No planned meeting at this time that I've read about.
22:29: MHStevie: OK, so 9/8 is the next big meeting...
22:29: MHStevie: All right, thanks! Great job as always... I must get moving...
22:30: westbaystars: The next big scheduled one. There may be a surprise annoucement tomorrow or Tuesday about the "Lotte Hawks."
22:30: MHStevie: That is true...
22:30: westbaystars: Although, that's complete speculation that has been nenied numerous times by both Lotte and Daiei.
22:33: MHStevie: All right, take care! See you again soon... oyasuminasai.
22:33: westbaystars: Take care.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.