Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Strike is On

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Strike is On
This news just in:
G
Going into extra innings in their talks, the Owners have struck out against the Players in their negotiations.

The talks were extended for two hours after they should have ended at 5:00 this evening (September 9, 2004) in Tokyo. However, approaching 9:00 the announcers on TV and Yahoo! Sports Baseball News (in Japanese) had nothing. Then, just now (9:05) on TV Saitama, they announced that the games scheduled for this weekend have been cancelled due to strike.

More info as it comes in.
Comments
Leading to Strike
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 17, 2004 10:22 PM | YBS Fan ]

While waiting for news from the strike, I started writing about today's news in Nikkan Sports. I felt that that news had to go out first, so if this sounds like it was interrupted, it was. Anyway, ...

The owners have been harping for the last week that any new teams must be approved by the owners' meeting on September 29. Well, the owners appear to not know their own rules. According to the "2004 Baseball Agreement" (PDF file in Japanese), Chapter 6, Paragraph 31:

The club which wishes to acquire the participation qualification of this organization must obtain the approval of Executive Committee as well as the owner meeting by November 30th of preceding year of to which said club will participate. [...]

Oops. How did the owners miss that? How did they think that a new team had to be approved by them by the end of this month? Do they not even know the very rules that govern themselves?

The most galling attempt to legitimize the merger was the owners' simulation for next season. Instead of using an economic professor's numbers which showed that everyone would bennefit more with the 6-6 configuration, they used 2003 income/outcome (?) numbers with some formula for calcuating additional income for games against the Giants. Then, when they've got all the negative numbers, they say that 35-oku yen in the read for the merged Orix-Kintetsu team is less than the 28-oku + 29-oku (57-oku) yen loss of the two teams combined. This looks very fishy to me. Like they're manipulating the presentation to say what they want to say.

As for possible additions, there are three groups interested in joining these read ink dripping old men in hope of breathing new life into the game. The most "traditional" of these is the owner of the Shidax. But he seems to be a bit adverse to controversy and is thinking about joining NPB two or three years down the road. Livedoor's Horie-president has turned in his application to join yesterday (Thursday, September 16). And Rakuten's Mikitani-president says that he'll be applying within the next week.

Each of these three has various parts of what they'll need to join. For example, Shidax has a team, staff, and the knowhow to run a team.

Horie has been working hard the past couple of weeks, getting a committment from Miyaki Prefecture's Sendai city's stadium as a home base, and is considering purchasing the Industrial League's JT (Japan Tabacco) which is based in Sendai (and recently finished fourth in one of the major tournaments this year). JT is considering disbanning their team with 80-90% becoming office staff only.

Mikitani has just gotten started on his quest to join the NPB and has pretty much only talked about being based in Kobe at Yahoo! BB. Interesting enough, Yahoo! BB, owned by Soft Bank, is a rival of Rakuten.

Both Horie and Mikitani are thinking along the lines of taking the left-overs after the merger.

Will Neguro-Commissioner Resign?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 17, 2004 10:35 PM | YBS Fan ]

One more thing in today's Nikkan Sports was that NPB's Commissioner Neguro said that he would be forced to resign if the players went on strike. Was this supposed to persuade either side to compromise? It doesn't look like it worked. Strike one puppet.
Re: Strike is On
[ Author: daijnj | Posted: Sep 17, 2004 11:56 PM | FSH Fan ]

Thanks for the news. I take it the date you quoted (Sept. 9) is supposed to be Sept. 17 (since you just posted this).
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Sep 18, 2004 12:11 PM | HAN Fan ]

I am sad that the players are striking, but fully support their move. It seems to me that the owners most resemble a group of spoilt children. Even yesterday their attitude was that the merger was none of the players association's business. If the loss of 100 of your members is not your business what is? I am not surprised that Shidax is in no hurry to join NPB.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Sep 19, 2004 10:46 AM ]

- It seems to me that the owners most resemble a group of spoilt children.

The owners for some stupid reason oppose change, they oppose any alternative solution to the merger. They oppose new ownership, there's were numerous alternatives to the merger.
[ Author: FlynnSox | Posted: Sep 19, 2004 2:20 PM ]

There seems to be two constants:
  1. The owners expect to rule as feudal lords.
  2. The owners are terminally afraid to think outside the box.

Interestingly, I think MLB owners are pretty similar, if less extreme. Slightly less extreme.

[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 19, 2004 6:17 PM | YBS Fan ]

We're into the second day of the strike and the owners have finally realized that they need to go on the offensive in the press. (You'd think that with two of the teams being owned by newspapers that they could coordinate something.) Of course, the Giants are the most inept at PR as they told the players on Friday night that they're being locked out of any practice session over the weekend, then notified them at 9:00 on Saturday morning that they'll be expected to practice during the strike.

While pretty much all of the teams held practice on Saturday, the players also went out of their way to setup signing events for the fans. There was report that some fans were a little disgruntled, but overall, the fans were very supportive.

Anyway, feable attempts by the owners to make them look reasonable included Hanshin's Nozaki-president saying that Furuta is making the decision to not avoid the strike on his own without the backing of the players. (Huh?) Also, he says that it's all a slight nuance problem (in reference to adding a new team) and that he'd be happy to enter into discussions for adding a team tomorrow. (What he fails to mention is that the owners have refused to discuss anything concerning the 2005 season and were only willing to conceed discussions for 2006.)

Chunichi's Shirai-owner gets the award for most absurd comment. He's quite upset about losing the Giants' money card this weekend, and is even more so about the possiblity that this strike may consume the Dragons' chance at becoming Nippon Ichi. But to say, "If this season becomes invalid, all of the individual records also become invalid. Like, there was (Giants' Kiyohara's) 2,000th hit." That just goes a bit overboard. In fact, Furuta, who made the final decision, only needs something like 24 hits in the next 20 games to reach 2,000 himself. Two games may make the difference!

Speaking of the possiblity of two games being lost, one of the administrative things that the players have now forced onto the owners is what to do about the 12 games (so far) that have been missed? More than Furuta's 2,000 hit possiblity, it makes a big deal in the Pacific League where these two games may make a difference between third and fourth place, positions that Lotte and Nippon Ham have been flip-flopping at over the past week. A lawer for the owners has stressed to them that they better not re-schedule the games without the players' consent. This makes the owners' allegations that the players' strike is unlawful a bit uninstantiated.

Finally, Nikkan Sports has a few poll questions and results:

Q1: This is the first strike ever for the players, but do you back the players' decision?

89% - Support
5% - Against
5% - Partially support
1% - Don't care either way

Q2: What about a further strike?

81% - Continue until a compromise is reached
9% - Strike the 25th and 26th, too
4% - These two days make their point
6% - Other

Q3: When should a new team be admitted?

91% - Next season is best
5% - 2006 season
1% - Not necessary
3% - Other

Q4: How should leagues be alligned in the future?

57% - The two leagues should expand
34% - Two leagues with 6 teams in each
3% - A single league
0.5% - Two leagues with 6 Central, 5 Pacific teams
0.5% - Two leagues with 5 teams in each
5% - Other

* 7,418 people took part in the on-line poll. As with any on-line poll, the results cannot necessarily be said to reflect the public as a whole, but merely the subset of the population that reads Nikkan Sports and has an opinion on the matter.
[ Author: FlynnSox | Posted: Sep 20, 2004 9:13 AM ]

Wow. Those majorities are huge!

What Nikkan Sports' readership is doesn't matter. The majorities are so large that it shows support for the strike and the principles of the players.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Sep 20, 2004 2:00 PM | HAN Fan ]

Well if the Asahi Shimbun is to be believed, this offensive will die the death. The impression I got was of total confusion among the owners' ranks. Chunichi and Nippon Ham are reported as saying that there is no way they will take action against the players. Nozaki-san, of the Tigers, supposedly has stated that he wished he had blocked the merger. The mess just gets bigger and bigger.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 20, 2004 2:36 PM | YBS Fan ]

- The impression I got was of total confusion among the owners' ranks.

Today's Nikkan Sports (a branch of Asahi Shimbun) reports similarly. The main focus in Nikkan is how much this is and may further cost the owners.

For Daiei, with their victory sales, it's estimated to be in the hundreds of oku yen. Daiei estimates a loss of about 5-oku (500,000,000) yen in just this weekend alone, with a 10-oku yen loss projected if the playoffs are cancelled. Seeing 20,000 fans lined up for 2.2 kilometers around Fukuoka Dome twice and its neiboring shopping center for a sign fest the players were putting on is a testament to Fukuoka fans' loyalty to their team (but not necesarily their owner).

Nikkan Sports' editorial board member Terao-san explained the frationing of the owners well when he said that it's now between those who are still hoping that the Pacific League will be reduced to four teams so that the Giants will join them or the leagues will merge, and those who are opposed to the Giants leaving. Hanshin, Chunichi, and Yokohama have been most vocal about stopping such a plan, and Yokohama's owner (I think it was) has expressed more than a passing desire to see more teams added.

I don't think that the owners thought that the players would go through with a strike, even for one day, let alone two. Now they're not so sure of themselves anymore. Their whole world is falling down around them. Having Watanabe-ex-owner ditch them when things started turning on them didn't help the owners. Watanabe is still seen having dinner and lunch meetings with many people involved on the managerial side of baseball, but he tells off the members of the press when they ask what lunch was about, stating that all he has to say to them (other than his scolding) is "no comment." He's still very much up to no good. But it doesn't look like his influence is as strong as it once was.

Hoshino for Commissioner!
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Sep 20, 2004 6:17 PM | HT Fan ]

It seems that the Yomiuri Shimbun is taking a hardline stance, if their editorials are any guide. Frankly I haven't read so much drivel in my life, and if what they're writing accords with the views of the owners, then it proves just how hopelessly out of touch they really are.

Here's a sample from the Sep 19 editorial (the translation appeared in the Daily Yomiuri today):

"Some people hold management responsible for forcing the players to resort to a walkout because of the owners' stubborn stance concerning the new entries in the NPB. This attitude is questionable. Applications to enter the pro leagues must be assessed with the utmost care. Management's uncompromising attitude reflects the fact that there have been a number of failed teams in the past."

Yes, but of course this whole thing started because of the haste in which the owners pushed through the merger plans. I would suggest that any changes in the current setup should be assessed with the utmost care, including mergers. And I believe that's all the players originally requested.

Another gem:

"Prudent evaluation is indispensable in determining whether the heads of companies applying for franchises have an adequate sense of responsibility and are sufficiently conscientious to operate professional baseball teams and whether their companies are sound enough to support their entry bids."

Mmmm. With Daiei on the brink of bankruptcy and Kintetsu crying poor, then they should be welcoming newcomers, not putting obstacles in their way. As far as "sense of responsibility" and "concientiousness" is concerned, I think it's obvious who's lacking these character traits.

I just tuned in to the Tigers-Swallows game today, and saw Furuta entering Jingu to wild applause from both sets of fans. Obviously public support for the strike action is real. The owners are in a hole, that's for sure.

[ Author: Guest: Tigers Baka | Posted: Sep 21, 2004 1:02 AM ]

Nice post Mijow-san. Accurate analysis of the drivel published in the Yomiuri. Watched the game on J Sports tonight, and even though I'm Tigers through and through, I didn't begrudge any of the efforts of Furuta tonight. Nice to see all fans alike get behind him.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Sep 21, 2004 5:32 AM | HAN Fan ]

The more the owners speak and excuse their decisions the more ridiculous they look. They reject LiveDoor's offer to buy the Buffaloes. Then, weeks later, they say they will consider new teams if they meet outrageous stiplulations.

The Fukuoka Daiei Hawks have drawn 3 million fans for the second straight year. Daiei is losing money not because of the baseball operation but due to other Daiei's corporate operations and decisions.

Why can't the owners simply let a company like Rakuten purchase the Hawks and LiveDoor buy the Buffaloes? In 1989 Daiei bought the Hawks from Nankai and Orix took over the Braves/BlueWave from Hankyu.

Also, look at the Lions' trail of ownership changes from Nishitetsu to Taiheiyo to Crown Lighter and finally Seibu. The list goes on and on.

So NPB owners, please admit you made a mistake for the best interest of baseball, including fans and players. Let people with new ideas and more cashflow enter your world for the present survival and future growth of the sport.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Sep 21, 2004 9:20 AM | HT Fan ]

Prime Minister Junichi Koizumi spoke on the subject of baseball last night. He had visited Yankee Stadium and watched a game (I think he threw the ceremonial first pitch, too, but I'm not sure). Anyway, on camera he said:

"Baseball is popular in Japan: it has a broad support base. I'd love to see Japanese baseball not contracting but expanding."

The TV talking heads interpreted this as a "stern comment" for the baseball powers-that-be.

Meanwhile, Whatshisface Horie, president of NPB aspirant LiveDoor, was scathing of the NPB's view that there's not enough time to add another team for 2005. Horie said:

"They say that there's not enough time to add another team for 2005, but I think it's the opposite, I think there's too little time to carefully remove a team by next year."

With the groundswell of popular support for the players and the new entrants, surely the owners will capitulate. Well, in a perfect world, maybe.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Sep 21, 2004 3:30 PM | HAN Fan ]

Yes, Koizumi-Prime Minister did pitch the first pitch (to Matsui as catcher). He also pointed out that if the U.S. had thirty teams, then Japan could support more.

Horie-san is right. With a bit of work from the leagues, not only LiveDoor, but Rakuten and Shidax could be in place for the start of next season. NPB just has to do a bit of work for a change.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.