Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Swallows Held Up at M17

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Swallows Held Up at M17
From August 23rd to September 2nd, the Swallows rode a 9 game winning streak to see their magic number drop from 31 to 17. It was seriously dropping like a rock while the Swallows were soaring way up high.

However, the birds have returned to Earth the past couple of weeks, dropping their last 6 games in a row while Hiroshima has jumped from 5th to 3rd, being the team against whom Yakult's magic number is currently being held against. A loss by Yakult tonight combined with a Carp win will see Yakult's magic number disappear all together.

For Yakult, a major factor is the loss of Furuta, who injured his left knee (I think it was) trying to field a foul ball a couple of weeks ago. At first, it didn't seem to matter as Ono took over behind the plate, hitting and leading well. But Furuta is the team leader and is painfully missed.

Yakult has scored 6 runs in the last four games while giving up 25. What's more, of their 6 runs, all were driven in on home runs, like the solo shot Ramerez hit last night. They haven't had a single timely hit during that span.

Hiroshima, who has won 6 in a row now, are still 8 games back with 25 games left to play. They are 10 and 10 (1 tie) against Yakult so far with 6 games remaining between the two clubs. Can they be counted out yet?
Comments
Re: Swallows Held Up at M17
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Sep 12, 2001 11:26 PM ]

What is the tragic number for the Giants? Why have they played many more games than anyone else? That just seems a little strange.
Giants' Tragic Number
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 13, 2001 8:35 AM | YBS Fan ]

Let's see, Nikkan Sports doesn't have their nice little table today, so I'll do some hand calculations.

First of all, Yakult broke their 6 game losing streak last night, Hiroshima lost their first after winning 8 in a row. And the Giants have now won 4 straight.

So, if the ironically first place Giants win all of their remaining games, they'll be 81-57 (2) for a .587 winning percentage. If Yakult wins 15 games, they'll have the same 81 wins, but with 54 losses and 5 ties they'll come out with a .600 winning percentage, so there will be no play off.

Since the Carp lost yesterday, the best they can now do is 80 wins, but with 6 ties, that will leave them with a .597 average at best, still below Yakult's .600, so Hiroshima will likewise be unable to force a three game play off.

The magic number for the second place Swallows (66 and 46 with 5 ties) is now the first place Giants' (67 and 57 with 2 ties) tragic number.

Gee, I hope I did all of my math right. Those ties can throw one off if you're not careful.

As for why it is that the Giants have so many fewer games remaining (14 compared to 20-24 for the other 5 teams), it's a matter of being in a dome when the rains come. Chunichi, the only other Central League team playing in a dome, has the second least games to make up with 20. So they were caught out in the rain as a visitor a number of times.

And speaking of domed stadiums, I see a signature inititive to get a domed stadium in Yokohama for the BayStars. No, I haven't signed it (yet). They ask for a reason, and the best one I can come up with right now is to get out of the rain. Also, the proposed location would be a fairly close walk from the office I work at now. Hmmm. I'd like to see a design before I commit.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.